650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > how to build mid pipes for $20

how to build mid pipes for $20
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
thrasher

PostPosted: May 26, 2009, 3:54 am    Post subject: how to build mid pipes for $20

i started with a set of chevy headers i found in the dump. they have 2.5 inch primaries and worked great.
first thing i did was cut the tubes up:

then i paid $20 for a set of junk headpipes for the flanges, i used a lathe to clean them up but a grinder would work fine.

i welded the flanges into the new pipe
then i tack welded a bunch of pieces together

finish welding and paint. took me about a day to do the whole thing.
metalredneck

PostPosted: May 26, 2009, 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: how to build mid pipes for $20

I like it!
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 26, 2009, 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: how to build mid pipes for $20

Great work thrasher. These bikes really lend themselves to home fabrication. A fun part of the hobby is making up your own parts.
Photo Gallery
gordonscott

PostPosted: May 26, 2009, 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: how to build mid pipes for $20

Hi Trasher, NICE job! and I see you got them the same length Wink
thrasher

PostPosted: May 28, 2009, 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: how to build mid pipes for $20

yeah i wanted them equal length, they sound real mean too. if you can't tell by the car in the background, i like to build stuff. i recently changed my exhaust again because i wasn't able to give any females a ride with the current set up. i'll use these on one of my other 650s, i just need to finish this one before i can start the next one.
c1skout

PostPosted: May 31, 2009, 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: how to build mid pipes for $20

looks good. Is that a 409 or 348 in the model A
thrasher

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: how to build mid pipes for $20

its a 348 truck engine, i haven't even tried to start it yet.
nudude53

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: how to build mid pipes for $20

If it doesn't start it has another purpose, hook a chain to it and put it in the front of your boat.
borjawil

PostPosted: June 2, 2009, 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: how to build mid pipes for $20

just wondering, but did u cut the flanges out with some of the inner tube still connected from the stock exhaust then insert it into the larger diameter tube or did u cut off the flanges and weld them to the tubing. I believe the stock headers are 1.5 on the out tube, just wondering cause of the larger headers u made

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: how to build mid pipes for $20

no, i did not leave any of the inner tube left on these flanges. i originally intended to so i could get a nice tight fit but it just didn't work out. if fit close enough that it didn't really matter. the biggest thing to remember here is not to slide the tube all the way on when you go to weld it, because then your weld will flow out onto the flat part where your finned flange pushes on it when you tighten everything down (if that made any sense). you'll want to do it like how the original chrome outers were welded on, don't make my mistake.

that 348 would sink my boat, that thing is freakin heavy.
borjawil

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: how to build mid pipes for $20

[quote="thrasher"]the biggest thing to remember here is not to slide the tube all the way on when you go to weld it, because then your weld will flow out onto the flat part where your finned flange pushes on it when you tighten everything down (if that made any sense).

When you said not to slide the utbe all the way on did you mean the new header piece? and if so i would be welding the header peice to the inner tube and partially the flange or not at all?

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: how to build mid pipes for $20

you need to weld it like the factory one in my second picture. compare that to my weld in the third picture and you'll see what i'm talking about.
borjawil

PostPosted: June 5, 2009, 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: how to build mid pipes for $20

i see. great thanks fo the help!

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1