650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Wheels, Brakes and Controls > > stop fast breaks

stop fast breaks
    Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls
royfisk

PostPosted: August 11, 2006, 8:13 pm    Post subject: stop fast breaks

Has anybody tried the tx-750 rear wheel and swing arm. I am to understand that the brake drum is larger and wider then th xs 650, If this is true then it would give better stopping power to the rear, (maybe without the lock up feature of the stock disc brake). yet more stop then the stock drum brake.
I also am thinking of useing a xs-750 triple front end with dual disc brakes, with a tx 750 triple tree. This would have smaller rotors on the front . The problem I see with stock dual disc is over brakeing, which would be to large of surface to surface contact on the brakeing. smaller rotors should cure this. Has anyone used this combination? For feed back!
y question would be fork springs and fork mods , would you still use the common mods to the 650? I was going to use my stock 35mm front end with cartridges and HD springs, link the legs etc. Would I still do these things with the leading axle or would that be overkill?
Also does anyone know what the clover looking tabs under the rubber caps on top of the 36mm front end does and how works? I beleive its spring preload , but its definately different then the 35mm ones. also if anyone has a tx 750 rearend and triple trees that they would want to sell or swap for parts pm me.
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: August 11, 2006, 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: stop fast breaks

Roy...stay away from the leading axle as it increases the wheel base,trail,etc which effects steering response to the negative(slow). As for over powering the front by adding dual disc,this can happen if weight to power ratio as reduced,then you could get by with a single disc set up but I certainly would'nt use a heavy rotor and brake set up from a vintage motorcyle with what's available from modern sport bikes.Once you've ridden a modern sport motorcycle and then saddle your XS or what ever,you'll quickly appreciate the advantages of modern stopping power,you'll just have to adapt and develope the technical skills in appling the right amounts of lever pressure to avoid locking the front tire up......................Jack
royfisk

PostPosted: August 12, 2006, 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: stop fast breaks

Ive ridden the modern bikes and I am not going to get that out of any 650, brakeing maybe. I really like the sv-650 torqie little bike and unbelieveable handleing. The gsxr's are overkill, fun but really way more then needed on the street, RIDDEN DAILY ID GET HURT. TRACK FUN. I am more into something old with style and enough umph to not be boreing. Besides the new bikes dont vibrate. I wonder just how much the negative trail effect would be experianced. And is that negative really such a bad thing here, generaly wouldnt this stable things up a litle wide open throttle? The bikes are quick handleing anyhow. Hmm got to think about this.
Jack

PostPosted: August 12, 2006, 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: stop fast breaks

Your absolutely right about XS handling abilities Roy,with short wheel base it has,alittle extra trail probably would'nt change steering response that significant to be noticed besides BMW has been using leading axles for years and I can't keep track of all the rice burners I've dusted in the curves with my R/90S.If you like the looks go for it..........Jack
royfisk

PostPosted: August 13, 2006, 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: stop fast breaks

Yea I think Ill try it, I can always go back. Ive got the front end anyhow. Just need to either restem the sytock 750 tree, or find a tx -750 tree. The whole thought of the 36mm fork tube sounds inviteing. The xs-750 tripple had a 18" mag rear wheel, I wish that was not a shaft drive bike cause that wheel would be so cool. Are you running with stableizers or not? I have seen a xs-650 in keene nh recently and it had the maxis style curved spoke mags, !8" rear and 19" front but the guy wasnt near the bike to find out what model the wheels came from. it was a drum brake rear wheel, and dual disc front very cool looking cafe bike.

Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1