650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > how loud is it?

how loud is it?
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
jurob

PostPosted: May 22, 2009, 3:15 am    Post subject: how loud is it?

my 650 has the mac dual megaphone exhaust with bare baffles. sounds decent, planned on removing the baffles after i chop it or runnng drags.

previous owner installed a nut and bolt on one of the baffles and proper setup on the second baffle. made a little ticking sound, no biggie! guess not, got on it a little bit and the baffle flew right out and broke in half going about 50. hopefully mac will have my baffle here tomorrow for the weekend.

my left exhaust is insanely loud now. it is absolutley unbearable! i had some real short uncorked pipes on my old sporty and it was loud, but not even close to my unbaffled megaphone.

my question; what does a xs650 sound like with just drag pipes? will it be as loud as my megaphone? i've heard drag pipes on youtube, etc...but that is not telling my how loud it is.

PostPosted: May 22, 2009, 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: how loud is it?

Seems the smaller the engine the more pitchy (ear piercing) the report.........another catch 22 for sure.....some idiot on our street has a 450 honda with just the headers......I swear to god it will wake the dead........won't even mention the little 4's with straights....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
ghostyder

PostPosted: May 22, 2009, 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: how loud is it?

ive got shorties on mine, im very pleased. sounds like it should and wont send me to jail

PostPosted: May 22, 2009, 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: how loud is it?

I run open headers on mine and it is pretty loud... I'd imagine it wouldn't be much different then yours without the baffle is now...
gordonscott

PostPosted: May 22, 2009, 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: how loud is it?

I make pipes for the xs that are the good length and diameter for street use and they sound great to me! never been stoped by the man for loud exhaust so must not be that bad Laughing Also I use 16ga (.065) to give a little less tin like sound you get with thiner wall tubing. They are loud but not like a Harley loud. I know what you guys are talking about with small motors sounding hi pitch like but that does not have to be, you can make them sound good. www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8p2MaVD_lE and you can see more here... mysite.verizon.net/reszw9bp/

cimg3596.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.49 KB
 Viewed:  303 Time(s)

cimg3596.jpg

cimg3422.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  229.82 KB
 Viewed:  1213 Time(s)

cimg3422.jpg

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1