650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > very late clutch engagement

very late clutch engagement
    Forum Index -> Drive
jurob

PostPosted: May 21, 2009, 12:46 am    Post subject: very late clutch engagement

when i release the clutch it is very close to being all the way out for it to engage.

is this adjustable? or?

tks

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 21, 2009, 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: very late clutch engagement

jurob, you should have a manual, there is two adjustment's for the clutch, one at the lever, the other on the left side cover.Not very hard to do, but the manual give's very specific instruction's.
jurob

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: very late clutch engagement

anybody else, clutch is adjusted correctly and it engages within a millimeter or 2 of the clutch being completely released.

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: very late clutch engagement

Obviously it is NOT adjusted correctly.
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: very late clutch engagement

Loosen the cable at the handle.......remove the shiny cover over the clutch push lever asembly......loosen the nut while holding the cable at the case upward so it won't slip off inside requiring you to remove the side case...........turn the screw in until it bottoms out........then out about 1/4 turn or a bit less......then holding the screw tighten the nut....not too tight.....re-adjust the cable at the handle............

should grease that push lever assembly.....remove cover and take it out ...clean well and use liberal amount of grease

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jurob

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: very late clutch engagement

John,
turn the screw till it bottoms out or till i get resistance? i've been doing it at resistance. i can tighten it down more if need be.

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: very late clutch engagement

When it bottoms that is where you back it off a bit ...not snugged down if that is what you are asking....I said a 1/4 turnout but don't think is set mine out that far and have never had any problems....justs wastes adjustment up at the handle if you back it out too much....

and it's better to have the clutch at the beginning of the pull on the handle than way down on the grip which would mean a a limited clutch and hard to find neutral....and as it warms you get less handle so consider yourself lucky.......

and once you figure all that ...dimple the ends of the long rod and the short rod in the push lever assembly (exactly in the center of the rods) and you won't hog out the seal and the bushing..........can find that post of mine that is always ignored somewhere...........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jurob

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: very late clutch engagement

i've been setting it till it is seated kind of like finger tight when you set zero lash on a rocker arm with a hydrualic cam on its base circle.

i can tighten it more after it seats, it feels like its going against a spring but it will tighten.

are you saying i can keep tightening till it actually cannot go anymore?

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: very late clutch engagement

Screw it in until it's snug and back it off a little, check your clutch handle, if it feels right lock it in. Make sure you have the cable adjuster at the handle screwed all the way in first.
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: very late clutch engagement

Mostly...........xsjohn see above...........
Photo Gallery
jurob

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: very late clutch engagement

since a quarter out is where it's set, how will clutch engagement be effected if you go past 1/4 or less than 1/4.

if i can't get it right with adjustment i'll even try more or less than 1/4 to get my engagement where i want it.

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: very late clutch engagement

Just need bit of clearance at the push lever assenbly so your clutch won't slip from over tightening there.....You just loose cable adjustment up at the handle if you set it too loose and have to turn the handles adjuster out farther....set it like I said........unless you have cable length problems and can't get the handle adjustment to work...........keeping my answers short may help my sanity.........

Ah well.....if you have trouble getting the cable on the handle then set the slots and pull the handle to the grip and release....holding the cable outward tightly....and let it snap in the grove and find home.....guess if you need more cable at the handle then losen the push lever adjustment some......Now I'm crazy ......and may have confused myself........ Laughing

THink I understand why no one understands why you have to move the cam to lower the compression...to bad ...my best mod.....by far....what a joy and stone simple and costs near nothing.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: June 6, 2009, 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: very late clutch engagement

With the adjuster screw backed off, it will turn easy, turn it in untill you feel resistance, then back of 1/8 to 1/4 turn, then adjust the lever untill you get about 1/8 to 1/4 inch freeplay.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1