650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > No Juice

No Juice
    Forum Index -> Electrical
turk64

PostPosted: August 9, 2006, 9:23 pm    Post subject: No Juice

Ok the story.
I was out for a very nice ride tooling about with my gf on the back and stopped for gas. The bike has been great all summer, noisy top end and all. No problems, no worries.
I go to start it with the electric start and nothing is there. No clicking, nothing. I kick start it and there is a definate metalic click at the bottom of the stroke and there is a lot of resistance. I kick it again and it starts. We make a bee line home. I notice that the turn signals are slow to flash.
After letting it cool i check the battery and it is sitting at 10.5v. I try the electric start and get a clicking noise but no action on the starter. I kick it and it starts right up. I check the battery again and it is still at 10.5v.

y manual has vaporized so again I pick the brains of those who been-there-done-that.

There should be something inbetween the stator (generator?) like a regualtor in a car right? Where is it and how do I test it? I am trying to find out the point of failure at this point. I am thinking that I should see some voltage comming into the regulator and some going out, not sure how much on either end but if nothing is going in I can go after the stator if not it is probably the regulator. But of course I could be wrong.

This is the same 83 heritage special I have come to love/hate.

As always I look forward to any help.

turk
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: August 10, 2006, 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: No Juice

did you check the voltage while the bike is running? should be above 13 volts. If not check out your chargeing system.
turk64

PostPosted: August 10, 2006, 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: No Juice

Yes I checked the voltage at the battery when it was running and it was still 10.5.

i forgot to mention that the headlight was not on when I was running the engine.

What is the starting point for checking out the charging system?
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 10, 2006, 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: No Juice

Check rotor 5.5 ohms or so between brass rings with brush lifted.
Check stator white wires at plug .7 ohms or so between all three of them.
Clean stator wires at plug and check brush length.
John Underwood
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: August 10, 2006, 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: No Juice

As John has said check out your chargeing system. brush length must be at least a 1/4 inch long. headlight will not work if machine is not chargeing.
turk64

PostPosted: August 11, 2006, 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: No Juice

I am sure the brushes have to be removed with the engine off, but do make the other measurements with the engine running? I haven't even taken the cover off of the stator yet so I am looking at another members post in this group that shows a stator with its cover off.
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: August 11, 2006, 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: No Juice

Turk all tests done with engine off. Do you have a service manual? If not you really need one. It explanes the whole proceedure.
royfisk

PostPosted: August 11, 2006, 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: No Juice

See post ( wireing problem aggrevated by manual .) The proceedure is pretty much explaned there.
turk64

PostPosted: August 11, 2006, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: No Juice

I took the cover off and pulled the brushes. One is 1/4 inch the other (inner loop) is 1/8. So now I need to get brushes for sure. I am attaching a photo. What is the item at the top of the stator? Part 206U?

Yea I know i need to find that friggin manual, it got lost in the remodel of the office. Crying or Very sad

dsc_8982.jpg
 Description:
83 Heritage Special stator.
 Filesize:  211.33 KB
 Viewed:  273 Time(s)

dsc_8982.jpg

Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: August 11, 2006, 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: No Juice

That is your electronic ignition pick-up coil. Your brushes need replacing for sure. check out your rotor and stator. but its probably just the brushes.
turk64

PostPosted: August 11, 2006, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: No Juice

I haven't looked much yet, but is that a dealer part or is this arround the net somewhere? I would like to be riding asap the weather is unbeleiveable here.
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: August 11, 2006, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: No Juice

mikes xs / 650 central. I think they were around $20.00. 650 central will overnite, mikes does not. mikes takes about a week for my parts. I prefer to buy from him but if you need it fast 650 central is your store.
turk64

PostPosted: August 14, 2006, 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: No Juice

Thanks but I just went to the dealer, both for 45 ouch. Anyway i put them in and of course the battery was dead and I was impatient so I jumped it from the car and went for a nice 20mile ride. I came home turned it off, hit the start button and it kicked right over. Let it cool, came back a couple hours later and it started right up with the start button.

Next morning headed to work i go for the start button and all i get is some clicking from under the seat and maybe a half turn and then nothing. I kick start it and it fires right up. The head light is on so it should be charging off to work I go.

15 mile ride get there shut it off, hit the button nothing. Kick it..vroom.

get home check battery engine off 11.5 volts
Kick start the bike and at the battery the level is not 12.10 volts

I decide to remove the cover and take a reading at the brushes. as I remove the cover I see some flakes at the bottom of the houseing. I also see that there is a gouge in the ring. I remove the brush at the outer ring and see that i put it in diagonally. I correct my error, remove the assembly and see that the inner ring is ok. I also noticed the inner burch is already noticably smaller than the outer.

Now hooked up the battery charge and once the battery is fully charged I will will see what the deal is.

referencing the post with the directions.. I only see 2 white wires, one on the inner brush and the other is on the electronic igition pick up coil.

dsc_8983.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  205.72 KB
 Viewed:  220 Time(s)

dsc_8983.jpg

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1