650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Good Replacement Headlight

Good Replacement Headlight
    Forum Index -> Electrical
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 6, 2005, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Good Replacement Headlight

Forgive my Japanese headlight ignorance, I was a 5 3/4" & 7" HD headlight man for a long time. Being i'm inside & my XS is in the shed what is the size of the light on my 80? I believe mine to be original so before I do alot of night riding on the country roads around here I want to update my lights technology about 25 Yrs. What is the stock high / low Watts? and how much will my stock electrical system reliably handle?
Photo Gallery
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 9, 2005, 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Replacement Headlight

That is a good question, but this may help. Check this page at mikesxs:
https://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs-electrical.php?category_id=2.5
look for part number Part #09-0027 I think this should do the trick for you. That is if the shape is okay for the look you want. Also to drop your watts use try changing you tail light to one of the led type lamps listed on the same page. I'm changing my tail and blinker lights to these this week. I will let you know how they work.

Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 10, 2005, 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Replacement Headlight

"That is a good question, but this may help. Check this page at mikesxs:
www.mikesxs.net/mikesx...ory_id=2.5
look for part number Part #09-0027"

Do you know if the width of the 5" x 7", Part #09-0027, will fit on to the stock headlight mounts? I think the look would be cool, different. I also wonder if there is a rectangular 5" x 7" shell that will accept a replaceable H4 type bulb.

I was thinking of using light Part #09-0650 and then using bulb Part #10-0027. I'm definetely going to change something to improve on the stock headlight, I like to see whats going on when going down the 2 lane highways at night, too many little and big critters to be looking out for.

Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 1, 2005, 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Replacement Headlight

I ordered this light. I'm not sure yet on how to wire the daytime running light, low beam etc. I'll figure it out once I get it. Thought it would help my charging system to operate better most of the time anyway.

www4.jpcycles.com/main...68782.jpeg

www.j-pcycles.com/prod...All&page=4

Photo Gallery
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 1, 2005, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Replacement Headlight

Will this light fit into your stock bowl?
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 1, 2005, 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Replacement Headlight

It's a spost too! I guess I'll be finding out for sure in a few days. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me either way.
Photo Gallery
kibokojoe
Site Reporter
Site Reporter

PostPosted: May 1, 2005, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Replacement Headlight

Is the headlight at Mikes XS the same as the one at JP?
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 2, 2005, 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Replacement Headlight

Part #09-0650on this page www.mikesxs.net/mikesx...ory_id=2.5 is simular but doesn't have the 5 watt daytime running light.
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 5, 2005, 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Replacement Headlight

Installed tonight, Looks good and it's damn bright. Can't look directly at it or it's like having a picture taken. I still need to wire in a switch so under normal conditions it just runs the 5 watt daytime running light then at night i can flip the switch to run the normal bulb.

newheadlight.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.25 KB
 Viewed:  358 Time(s)

newheadlight.jpg

Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 8, 2005, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Replacement Headlight

Got to do some night riding this weekend and all I can say it works awesome!
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1