650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > whats this part?

whats this part?
    Forum Index -> Electrical
xsfun

PostPosted: August 8, 2006, 8:53 pm    Post subject: whats this part?

Took apart a running '77 xs to put the parts on a rigid frame.

On the very bottom of the battery box , bolted is a electrical part about 1 1/2 inches x 2 1/2 inches with 5 wires coming from it to a coupler that plugs to the harness, this one I have taken off is totally fryed , wires burnt etc...even burnt up the coupler end on the harness too, but the bike was running , so my questions are what is this part? do I need to replace it? where can I get one?
treecutter

PostPosted: August 8, 2006, 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: whats this part?

The was the harness for the rectifier...ahh who needs it...just charge the battery when you get home heheheh
Photo Gallery
xsfun

PostPosted: August 9, 2006, 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: whats this part?

nope, this is not the rectifier, the rectifier has a lead to each side of the battery , this part does not , just a flat spade connector with 5 wires., and is a little smaller than the rectifier. Found this image on the web and pointed a arrow to the part, its bolted to back very bottom of the battery/electrical cage, and has the white wires and a red wire coming out of it, 5 wires total.
payperclick.topcities....spart.html
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 9, 2006, 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: whats this part?

This is the rectifier. It has 3 white, one red and a black lead. I just looked at my bike and that's where it is mounted and what it looks like.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
treecutter

PostPosted: August 9, 2006, 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: whats this part?

Yeah that is the retumfryer itself, put a meter on the battery instelf with the bike running and see if you are getting any charge
Photo Gallery
xsfun

PostPosted: August 9, 2006, 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: whats this part?

thanks for the input guys, I am a bit confused as when I was looking on mikesxs for a new one I saw this part they called the rectifier , on this page about half way down www.mikesxs.com/mikesx...ory_id=2.4 , I do have this part that was installed on the bike in a different place and hooked to the battery ,and it looks newer than the old parts on the bike. The one that is toasted and this part do not look the same and are both installed on the bike , but the toasted part was unplugged. So is the one in this mikesxs image a different rectifier?
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 9, 2006, 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: whats this part?

The Mike's part is not a factory original. It has cooling fins and looks to involve a bit of a rewire. Looks like your original was cooked and replaced.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
xsfun

PostPosted: August 9, 2006, 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: whats this part?

oh ok, thanks a bunch , I guess what was so confusing is that they do not look the same and are completely wired in differently , wow I was stumped.
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 9, 2006, 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: whats this part?

Later bikes used the solid state rectifier/regulator. The earlier bikes had a separate rectifier and an adjustable regulator. I don't know the year of the switch but it appears the Mike's unit will replace the rectifier and regulator on the earlier bikes with a bit of rewiring.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 9, 2006, 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: whats this part?

sorry. please ignore
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1