650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > Tac Question

Tac Question
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
Zero333

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 8:20 am    Post subject: Tac Question

Hey everyone. I have an 81 special. So i popped my tac out of its bucket the other day to replace the light bulbs. Once I put everything back together my tack is not showing engine speed propperly. It is lagging very far behind engine revs (from what I can tell,,,,cant be exact cause my tac isn't working!!). Any ideas what might be wrong?

I have taken the cable out and checked it, everything seems right. I have tried re-attaching the cable to the tac when it is out of the bucket to assure good contact in there. Anyone know whats wrong? Bothers me because it is such a simple problem. This shouldn't be this hard to fix.
oldbikenut

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Tac Question

I had a weird deal with my speedo, infact in ended up being a pretty long thread. The main thing I can suggest is just make sure the cable is well lubed and both ends of the cable have there square ends and have not been partially broken, which could make it short. Just make sure to pay extra attention to putting it all back together. Good luck and hopefully someone else had this same issue and can be better help for you.
tuffbuilt

PostPosted: May 17, 2009, 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tac Question

Grab the end of the cable with the bike running, mine broke the cable(or just had rust holding it together) when I moved the tach it quit. It looked like it was moving as it should with no load and when I hooked it up it was still wild. When I put my fingers on the cable with it running I found that it quit turning. New cable fixed it. If you have had the cable out this won't help.

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1