650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Stock Parts > > what is best site to buy parts?

what is best site to buy parts?
    Forum Index -> Stock Parts
WillP

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 12:09 am    Post subject: what is best site to buy parts?

open ended question but about tos tsart diving into my 71 xs1 and would like recommendations on trusted sites.

Is 650Central reliable? I know sites like Bikebandit do not serve older bikes.

Cheers
Malloy

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: what is best site to buy parts?

mikesxs.com has has 95% of what I have needed so far on my '71 build. Found some oddball bits on eBAY...still looking for a rear fender and fork tubes though.
WillP

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: what is best site to buy parts?

Thank you Malloy. I appreciate it. You ahve a 71 too? I posted another question and might as well ask you directly: I just checked compression. 70psi was the best it had and even after putting a teaspoon of oil into the chamber to check the valves. Need to change the rings right?
nj1639

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: what is best site to buy parts?

Hey Willp,
A spoonfull of oil in the cylinder, hold the throttle open, check compression. If the compression comes up that should mean rings, if no change that should mean valves.

Mikesxs

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: what is best site to buy parts?

When checking compression it is necessary to hold open the slides with something otherwise the closed slides will give you a false low compression reading.

Mikes XS
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: what is best site to buy parts?

3M at 650central is an encyclopedia of good info and he's a rock-solid dude. That's my experience of him and everybody else on these boards seems to agree.
WillP

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: what is best site to buy parts?

Thank you Malloy, nj639, Mikesxs and jimmythetrucker. I appreciate the helpful feedback.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: what is best site to buy parts?

nj1639 wrote:
Hey Willp,
A spoonfull of oil in the cylinder, hold the throttle open, check compression. If the compression comes up that should mean rings, if no change that should mean valves.

One time I had an MG in the shop. In-line four with dual SU carbs. Missing on one hole. Pulled all plugs (No. 3 had a big lump of black carbon on it). I used a pair of screwdriver handles to prop the SU slides up. Held the throttle open. Ran a compression check. No. 3 was low. Readings were something like 140, 140, 100, 140.

I dumped a teaspoon of oil in No. 3 and tried again. Compression didn't improve at all.

"Valves," I said. When the boss got back from a parts run, I told him about it. He looked at me real sly and laughed a bit. "You don't know what you're doing," he said. "It's carbs. I looked at it yesterday."

And he got under the hood and he diddled with them carbs for about an hour, and he brought No. 3 up to normal and put a new plug in it and it smoothed right out. He never did tell me what he did to them carbs to bring the compression up on No. 3.

y question: Does anybody here have any idea what he did with them carbs? I been dying to know all these years. Come on you Brits! Whaddya know about a set of SUs on an MG B? How could a carb be at fault where No. 3 is low compression and No. 4 is normal?

Forum Index -> Stock Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1