650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > What was the factory finish on these engines?

What was the factory finish on these engines?
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
tacoswild

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 6:24 pm    Post subject: What was the factory finish on these engines?

Wondering how Yamaha finished the cylinder, head, and cases. Was it bare metal, or painted grey? I have a 71 so if anyone knows how those were done originally please let me know.
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What was the factory finish on these engines?

taco, I believe that they were just clear coated on the side cover's only.
nudude53

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What was the factory finish on these engines?

The top half of the engine case was painted silver from the factory, the bottom half was left bare metal. I just repainted mine today with Duplicolor hi-temp engine paint. I painted another engine 2 years ago with the same paint and it still looks like it did when I pulled the masking tape off. It's also good to use for frames, brackets and other small parts.
tacoswild

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What was the factory finish on these engines?

Hmm, so what about the top end? Just blast it and leave it bare?
nudude53

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: What was the factory finish on these engines?

Yes, the cylinders are raw casting, glass beading would look great, I would do that to mine if I had the engine apart. You might even shoot some hi-temp engine clear on them after they're cleaned up too.
nudude53

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: What was the factory finish on these engines?

Tacoswild
Here are some pics of the engine painted 2 years ago, no chips, no flakes, still cleans up well.

tacoswild

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: What was the factory finish on these engines?

Alright thanks fir the advice. Makes sense because the top case on mine has always had a weird tint to it compared to the other aluminum parts, sort of yellow. Almost 40 year old paint I guess.
dpmphoto

PostPosted: May 15, 2009, 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What was the factory finish on these engines?

The yellow can be caused by the heat from the cylinders if engine is running hot
tacoswild

PostPosted: May 15, 2009, 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What was the factory finish on these engines?

That's a possibility too. No other aluminum parts (including the cylinders themselves) have that tint though. I can't say what all went on in the history of the bike but when I took it apart this year the left piston had an odd mark about half an inch wide and an inch tall on one part of the skirt. The machine shop thought it had probably gotten too hot at some point in the past and didn't recommend reusing it unless I was planning to be back in there in a couple seasons. I had trouble finding standard size pistons or rings for this bike at reasonable prices and then I found a set of 1st over pistons for only $50 for the pair so I went that way.
tuffbuilt

PostPosted: May 17, 2009, 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What was the factory finish on these engines?

If you can find a place in your area that does glass beading it is the best way to go. It leaves a very clean but not polished finish with no haze and doesn't remove much material at all. It is the original finish for most alum. valve covers. For very stained pieces I use HVAC condenser coil cleaner The mild acid type(it will also take rust stains off of a garage floor) wet the piece first and then spray and don't let it set any longer than it takes to brush it. Don't mix it strong use light doses or it will turn the part white and you will have to polish it with something like Mothers to bring it back. We use this in muscle car restoration.

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1