650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Charging prob Agrivated by manual.

Charging prob Agrivated by manual.
    Forum Index -> Electrical
Charliekilr

PostPosted: August 8, 2006, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Charging prob Agrivated by manual.

I've read through some of these other post and i got a pretty good idea i'm out to spend some money.

I've tested the reg and all is good there. my question is my stator resistance on all three wires is .6 ohms and according to hanes manual the reading should be .46 ohms. the manual says anything "well outside" those mesurements it needs a stator.

I tested the rotor resistance and had 1.8 ohms and manual said 5.3 ohms "anything widely diff" it needs a rotor.

"well outside" "anything widely diff" . being a auto tech for 14 yrs now when i read that it tells me this book was wrote by a jack-A$$. spec should be between THIS and THIS anything else = BAD.

Am I wrong here?

Can anyone tell me the actual spec range instead of "well outside" and "anything widely diff".

y guess right now is that i have a bad rotor.

Thxs. guys
royfisk

PostPosted: August 8, 2006, 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging prob Agrivated by manual.

what year is this?
clymer says 0.8 - 1.0 between each of the white wires
then one to stator houseing and one to each white wire in the kilo ohms scale should read infinity. any other readings would be bad

The rotor should be between 5-7 ohms between the two slip-rings that the brushes ride on.

although your stator readings are a bit low Your rotor readings state pretty clearly that it is gone.

Chiltons manual also states the above numbers.

The stator isnt the best but I bet if you put in a new rotor you will charge.

royfisk

PostPosted: August 8, 2006, 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging prob Agrivated by manual.

by the way dont haynes make underware or something? What do they know about motorcycles anyhow. Get a better manual.
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 8, 2006, 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging prob Agrivated by manual.

Sounds like stator and rotor are gone to me.
Stator is .7 to 1.0 ohms. On all three posts and the other
three should read infinity.

Rotor should read above between 5 to 6 ohms and
is sounds like the winding is shorted inside to read
so low.
You could wind the rotor yourself with a little work but
not the stator. Good luck John Underwood
Photo Gallery
Charliekilr

PostPosted: August 9, 2006, 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging prob Agrivated by manual.

sry guys The bike is a 81 xs650 special.

PostPosted: August 9, 2006, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging prob Agrivated by manual.

xs-john where did you get those numbers, from what manual? both of mine are different then what you stated. I wonder where these publishers get there info cause this is a area where there should be no era for what you pay for one these days. If indeed haynes reads as charlieklr has said then now we have three totally different sets of numbers. Does anyone have a oem yamaha manual to shed some light on this subject?
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 9, 2006, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging prob Agrivated by manual.

From the Yamaha Factory XS650SG supplement on biker.net:

ssss.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.66 KB
 Viewed:  224 Time(s)

ssss.jpg

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 10, 2006, 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Charging prob Agrivated by manual.

I have three good stators sitting right here in front of me
and they all read .7 ohms or so between the white wires.
Also saw these figures .7 to .10 on sites that wind stators for the xs.
The Yamaha manual says 4.4 ohms for stator white wires.
Don't know about this is but if it charges there go for it.

I also have three rotors here in front of me and they read
5.5 ohms between the bras rings.

Seems if the figures are low for rotors like 2 ohms the coil is shorted
inside and will not charge properly. Same would be for the stator.

Open would be bad also for both.

John Underwood
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: August 13, 2006, 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging prob Agrivated by manual.

kingwj's figures translates to 4.7-5.8 ohms . And Ive seen examples with low readings that charge. Theres' way to much variances here seems like everyone just wrote down numbers when printing these manuals. Iguess they either work or they dont. Thats why haynes used words such as widely different and well outside of range to answer charlieklr's original question.
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 14, 2006, 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Charging prob Agrivated by manual.

I went through the same problem (anyone need a new voltage regulator?)
A mechanic in the know said in 99% of these cases is is the rotor.
He was right.
A perfect rotor is 8 ohms when disconnected from the brushes
(measuring ring to ring on the rotor)
the borderline is 4 ohms.
5 ohms to 8 will give you a working charging system.

Jim

www.cafepress.com/650motorcycle
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1