650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > Sportbike front ends?

Sportbike front ends?
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
JoshmuthaF

PostPosted: August 7, 2006, 11:36 am    Post subject: Sportbike front ends?

So I just picked up my first XS, it's an 81' special, it's pretty rough but it runs. I plan on going all out with this bike eventually. In the mean time I would kind of like to get it in working order and have something to ride. My question is does anybody on here have experience adding modern sportbike front end (usdforks,tripleclamps, wheel,brakes) to these bikes? I've seen some that I really like. I just want to know what all is involved? such as pressing steering stems, or making your own tripleclamps, changing rake/trail geometry. What I plan to do is build a whole extra rolling chassis, then over the winter take the motor out and build it up. And put it in the other chassis. These are some bikes I'm using for inspiration.
Jack

PostPosted: August 7, 2006, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportbike front ends?

If your after looks with the usdforks that's fine but there's no steering advantage to be had other than saving a few pounds and also if your attensions are to adapt 17 inch wheels,even thought their smaller in diameter your have a larger contact patch thus giving more resistance slowing the steering responce a bit,so you'll most likely need to de rake to 25 to 24 make use of the their true advantage.
I'm in the process of making a jig to shorten my wheelbase to 54.5 to 55 which is an alternative route which also helps in assisting in a quicker steering response but also adds a bit more stability at higher speeds than say 24 to 25 fork degrees if you stay with the stock 27 degrees,it's just a matter of preference I guess.
I have a friend who can assist you in getting your jig set up as I don't feel comfortable enough to guide you through the steps. I will ask him if it's OK to release his phone #............Jack
JoshmuthaF

PostPosted: August 7, 2006, 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportbike front ends?

Here she is... pretty corroded but its all there and it'll clean up, it runs real strong. For now i just kinda wanna get it road worthy and look half decent. Do you know any tricks to drop the front end? shorter forksprings? i want to even out the ride height.
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 7, 2006, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportbike front ends?

Just loosen the trees and clamp the legs lower. I would'nt drop them more than 3/4 of an inch though.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1