650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > The incredible vibrating XS

The incredible vibrating XS
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
sschering

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 2:05 pm    Post subject: The incredible vibrating XS

my XS taught me another lesson in metal fatigue this weekend.

Sunday afternoon I was out with the bike.. stopped home to get some tools and couldn't get it started again.. Then I lost all power.. nothing working..
The fuses looked ok but when I tapped at the main fuse you could see a quick arc in the center and the lights came back on.

Looking close you can tell the metal bar in the fuse had a hairline crack from vibration.. I'd never seen that before..

The bike runs better with a new fuse Smile

William's Law ...
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

What type of fuse, wedge or glass?
sschering

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

AGC Glass type . I put new clips into the stock fuse box.. Guess I should have put in new fuses too. If it becomes a reoccurring issue I'll switch to blade fuses.

William's Law ...
gs1327
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

Your XS650 vibrates?

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

I went for a 90 mile massage this weekend myself.

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

That's why there is so many with low miles on them......no one could stand the massage........including myself.......took a while to correct that........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

Laughing Laughing .....Like massage. Massage good. Laughing Embarassed Embarassed

Get BSA single on road----massage challenge concentration!! Very Happy

(I think I need some adult conversation......)

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
xackley

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

I have seen the cracked main fuse problem.

It was poring down rain, I stopped at a sign, and the bike died.

It was obvious to me that water had gotten into something it shouldn't. Half an Hour later, with the covers off, the headline hanging, I got luck and saw a spark inside the fuse while turning the key off and on. I could not see the crack, even when I knew it was there.

Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

Yeah, give a gal a ride on a XS650, the next day she might be filing divorce papers, and signing up for a motorcycle riding course. Wink
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

Well, RG--actually, she will either go get her own XS, or hang around your bike, looking forlorn and waiting for another ride......

Y'know, "The Family That Rides Together......does pretty much anything they want!"

Really---are there *any* problems that a bike won't solve?

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

Retiredgentleman wrote:
Yeah, give a gal a ride on a XS650, the next day she might be filing divorce papers, and signing up for a motorcycle riding course. Wink

RG -- I used to do publicity for a state mental health service. I used to ride my '79 XS to work. One of their crisis counselors was a Methodist minister who believed that motorcycle vibrations caused women to have orgasms. He accused me (at a meeting, yet!) of tricking girls into going for rides on my motorcycle so they'd have lots of orgasms and I could enslave them sexually. He was serious! The women at the table laughed him out of the room. His name was Ed, and forever after everybody referred to him as "Orgasm Ed." He used to go to the director and complain about that, and even the director laughed at him. Still, he got to keep his job. I used to wonder why he didn't just quit.
woodman

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

I have two of them and they are at opposite extremes of the vibration scale. One will vibrate the fillings out of your teeth and walk across the garage on the center stand, the other is the smoothest one Ive ever ridden.
penn71911

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

"walk across the garage on the center stand"

I do love that... I had mine vibrate within 6" of my boss's truck one day before I realized it was running away!

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

Might just jack hammer the crank right out of there running them on the concrete on the centerstand............ Shocked

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
BeanerBiker

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

If you go numb do you still feel the vibration? Laughing
Photo Gallery
oldbikenut

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

It's funny when I got my XS I thought I had all sorts of problems from the vibration to the can't find neutral to weird engine noises, come to find out these are just normal things for the most of us with an XS, I feel so much better! I guess Shocked
Toecutter

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

jimmythetrucker wrote:
Retiredgentleman wrote:

RG -- I used to do publicity for a state mental health service. I used to ride my '79 XS to work. One of their crisis counselors was a Methodist minister who believed that motorcycle vibrations caused women to have orgasms. He accused me (at a meeting, yet!) of tricking girls into going for rides on my motorcycle so they'd have lots of orgasms and I could enslave them sexually. He was serious! The women at the table laughed him out of the room. His name was Ed, and forever after everybody referred to him as "Orgasm Ed." He used to go to the director and complain about that, and even the director laughed at him. Still, he got to keep his job. I used to wonder why he didn't just quit.
THAT'S HILARIOUS!!!!

tacoswild

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

Quote::
I feel so much better! I guess Shocked

hehe if you want a bike with less character there's plenty of them out there. No vibes, sound like a sewing machine, looks like an old lady drew a harley on a doily, you can have it all! Laughing
Barbara

PostPosted: May 5, 2009, 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

BeanerBiker wrote:
If you go numb do you still feel the vibration? Laughing

Laughing Yep. Laughing

Actually, if I'm truthful, the answer is no. When I ride to Montana to visit my father, I'm usually numb before Spokane--300 miles, with 300 more to go. But you get used to it, and having people grin and wave on the road sort of makes up for it. My seat (actually the seat on the bike) is wearing out again, and I might just try one of those jell seats. Anyone have one of those?

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
Photo Gallery
Everything_To_Xs

PostPosted: May 5, 2009, 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

I rode my hardtail Xs 650 for 200 miles once only stopped for fuel, average of about 80mph all the way, That bike is silly. anyone ever been to an arcade and seen one of those Uncle fester adams family games where you have to hold the metal bars while it tries to vibrate you to pieces,

Well thats what my chops like, the vibration is that imence that after every couple of miles you have to release the handle bars just so you can get feeling back in your hands lol.
Photo Gallery
Everything_To_Xs

PostPosted: May 5, 2009, 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnndJpxEkRc
Photo Gallery
woodman

PostPosted: May 5, 2009, 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

I only did it once John when I first got it running. It had been sitting for a few years. I fired it up on the center stand and let it warm up, looked around and it had crossed the garage about 30 ft in a few minutes. Why would that hammer the crank out of it, just curious ?
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 5, 2009, 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

Not saying it would but with no place for those vibes to go it surely wouldn't be good for the crank I would think......and once a bearing is nicked the inevitable is soon approaching........

xsjohn

main bearing trashed 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.8 KB
 Viewed:  136 Time(s)

main bearing trashed 2.jpg

Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: May 5, 2009, 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The incredible vibrating XS

I start mine on the center stand all the time. If I'm in the driveway balancing carbs or something the bike is on the stand. Might be silly but I don't trust the carbs to work the same when they're tilted over with the gas on one side of the bowl.

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2