650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Maybe you can go home again

Maybe you can go home again
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
Grouch

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 11:51 pm    Post subject: Maybe you can go home again

In October 1980 I took home my first new street bike;a 1981 650 special 2.wire wheels.Maroon. loved it.almost never a problem. it was still running great 20000 miles later when circumstances forced me to sell her in 1992.
Summer of 2008 I started getting the urge again and started looking for another bike.The new ones didn't appeal to me.
V-Star came across as an overpriced, psuedo Harley.
Crotch rockets were never my style. I finally found a dual purpose bike i could live with,a 2006 tw200 Yamaha.Balls of fun around town but not a highway bike.Definetly a keeper though.
Finally in March 2009 I found a 1981 special.cast wheels,7xxx miles,2 owner.Silver.Good price.
I've had to change the seat and handle bars[just like on the original] and it has a charging problem that I hope will be fixed with new brushes this week. if new brushes don't cure it,I'm confident I will find the answer on this site.
28 years.
What's changed?
When I sold my first one,the guy wanted to know"what's that funny looking lever on the right side?"
No kick starters-even on dirt bikes.
no centerstands-nowhere
stil have horns that are a bad joke.
It looks like self cancelling turn signals have disappeared and crappy electrics are here to stay.
We are still invisible to cagers and now have cell phones to add to their distraction.
Cops still hate us.
And the ladies still love us.
And i go out on a cool morning,pull the choke,3 kicks at the most,and we are ready.Put on the lid and gloves while she warms up[1 minute].Point her up the hill and give her her head.The engine hits the sweet spot,that indescribable combination of sound,vibration,soul, and shift;roll on the throttle and do it some more.
Fine around town and damn fine on the open road.
I'm back! Let the second childhood begin.
Grouch

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Maybe you can go home again

Welcome! I should say welcome back to world of motorcycles. It's funny I have at times in my life gotten distant from motorcycle but there always seems to be something pulling me back. I have such fond memories from when I was a child learning to ride, my teenage years with my friends and as an adult just riding anywhere, it's great.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Maybe you can go home again

Grouch;
I like the way you contrasted the two different time periods. I can tell you're addicted to biking. I had about an 18 year gap before I got back into biking. Yes, it feels good when you get back in the game.
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe you can go home again

Hi Grouch,

You should call yourself "Poet". Thanks for a little trip down the Time Tunnel.....

Welcome back and welcome to the site!

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
Grouch

PostPosted: May 5, 2009, 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Maybe you can go home again

thanks to all,iI think I'm gonna like it here.
This looks like a s good a place to start as any;
how difficult is it to replace the alternator brushes? i've got an insufficient charge situation and that's as good [cheap] a place to start as any.
And does anybody make a luggage rack for this anymore?

PostPosted: May 5, 2009, 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Maybe you can go home again

Welcome...

Nice piece... makes me especially sorry that my folks would never let me near bikes and I didn't start riding til I was 52... Embarassed

Quote::
The engine hits the sweet spot,that indescribable combination of sound,vibration,soul, and shift;roll on the throttle and do it some more.

Second gear... just when my '73 really starts to pull... chills... Wink
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 5, 2009, 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Maybe you can go home again

Grouch wrote:
thanks to all,iI think I'm gonna like it here.
This looks like a s good a place to start as any;
how difficult is it to replace the alternator brushes? i've got an insufficient charge situation and that's as good [cheap] a place to start as any.
And does anybody make a luggage rack for this anymore?

read this thread.......

650rider.com/index.php...5950#55950

Grouch

PostPosted: May 5, 2009, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe you can go home again

Thanks,Jayel,that helped a bit.Since I am a disaster at soldering,I'm gonna leave it to the shop.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 5, 2009, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe you can go home again

Hey Grouch, welcome! Hey, where's the cookie monster? yea, I know, poor attempt at humor.The brushes aren't that hard to replace, but a good solder joint is essential. Check your rotor, the part that turn's when you turn the engine. Slip ring to slip ring (where the brushes ride) the ohm reading should be about5 ohm's, + or - 1 ohm, and infinity from each ring to the center(where the 17mm nut is). These are known for poor rotor's.Also, if you brushes are 1/4" or longer they should be functioning. Barbara, time tunnel, wasn't that a TV show way back when? Embarassed
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: May 5, 2009, 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe you can go home again

Welcome Grouch ! How "mid" MO are you?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
JeffM

PostPosted: May 5, 2009, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe you can go home again

Welcome! Nice first post.

'The engine hits the sweet spot,that indescribable combination of sound,vibration,soul, and shift;roll on the throttle and do it some more.
Fine around town and damn fine on the open road.'

Thats what its all about right there. Well said.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 5, 2009, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe you can go home again

TeeCat wrote:
Second gear... just when my '73 really starts to pull... chills... Wink
went for a nice little 100 mile run yesterday about mile 60 nice straight open road after a 90° turn down to 2nd gear, wound it up to 6800, 3rd 6800, 4th 95 mph enough for me the old girl will scoot if you lay into it, puts some road behind you real quick

Grouch

PostPosted: May 6, 2009, 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe you can go home again

pumps wrote:
Welcome Grouch ! How "mid" MO are you?
jefferson city

PostPosted: May 6, 2009, 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe you can go home again

Gonna have to find a manual.I opened the cover and I am thinking cleaning the rotor could make a big difference.Took her for a short ride last evening.Checked the bat voltage when I got home and she shows 12.75.Waiting on brushes from Mike's XS.

pict0002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  121.62 KB
 Viewed:  128 Time(s)

pict0002.jpg

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: May 6, 2009, 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe you can go home again

I have spent some time in Jeff, doing some railroad work many years ago.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1