650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Marshall Brunson, checking in

Marshall Brunson, checking in
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
marshall

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 9:21 pm    Post subject: Marshall Brunson, checking in

Ahoy there,

About 5 years ago my brother invited me to help clean out his garage. As payment, he would give me an old motorcycle that was taking up space.

I didn't ride at the time, never did. Didn't know how. Didn't think I wanted to know.

The bike didn't run, and I was no mechanic. Although I knew how to hold a screwdriver without ruining screw heads.

By the grace of some good-natured god, the bike that was bestowed upon me that day was a '78 Special. Carburetors, glued shut with 5-year old gas. Tires, petrified. Tank, rusty.

Little did I know at the time that nearly every single part for this bike would be available for purchase if needed. And that hordes, nay, manic swarms of enthusiasts do exist and gather for to share their upsets and triumphs vis-a-vis the XS 650.

Could there have been a better motorcycle to be given to the young I, who was at once the greenest gearhead and a clueless cyclist? I think not.

---

Where the bike is now: Running, but not pretty! I'm still learning a lot, and look forward to having time to restore her one day (when she's not my sole means of transportation!)

Thanks so far to:
y dad
650Central (mercury is the man!)
ikesXS
650 Garage
Fred, the parts guy at my local bike dealership. He put up with me bringing in ziplock bags full of miscellaneous and tiny parts... and having no clue what I was doing.

arshall Brunson out!

biznizz00001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  481.14 KB
 Viewed:  122 Time(s)

biznizz00001.jpg

Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Marshall Brunson, checking in

Welcome to the site Marshall. Your bike is looking good. The 78SE is one sharp looking stock bike, although I may be a little biased Smile

Keep it stock and it will increase in value.
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Marshall Brunson, checking in

welcome Marshall,I read that you' been in touch with the 'guru' Merc.There are alot of knowledgeable people here as well. I do have a suggestion, though.The google search here work's very well, & alot of tech. post's are there.But, of course, if & when you encounter a problem, don't hesitate to ask.The answer's will come, sometime's after a little politically orientated rant. Good luck, & happy motoring!! Gordo
Barbara

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Marshall Brunson, checking in

Very nice bike, Marshall! (Not to be compared to the just-short-of-heaven that is the 1977 Standard--RG and I disagree on the "ultimate XS"...) Laughing

But nonetheless, it's a beauty, and shows the result of lots of love and labor. Congratulations and welcome to the site!

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
oldbikenut

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Marshall Brunson, checking in

Retiredgentleman wrote:
the 78SE is one sharp looking stock bike, although I may be a little biased Smile

Welcome!
I agree with RG! The only really change you may want to consider is replacing the handle bars. I personally find the buckhorn bars a little uncomfortable and akward! Even RG changed his bars!
marshall

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Marshall Brunson, checking in

Yeah, those bars are soon to go. The horns are a nightmare in parking lot maneuvers! Crampin' my u-turn skills, you know?! Very Happy

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1