650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Kickstart Knee! Its true..

Kickstart Knee! Its true..
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Engine
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 23, 2009, 9:40 pm    Post subject: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

I am having MAJOR pain from my knee. My Right Knee!

It started recently after I forgot to turn on my fuel and the bike died and I panic'd and then started kicking it like an idiot trying to get a dry motor to run..It also kicks back every now and then...

The next day I went to get up from the couch (sofa!) and %&^&*( the PAIN!

y My, I swore and I aint sh*tting yeah its the most pain I've felt in a long long time.

an, I am starting to wish I'd kept the electric foot Sad LOL..

I've definately torn somethin' better go to docs Sad and I hate them buggers. They'll tell me to stop drinking and stop thinking LOL
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 23, 2009, 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

Last time I had that the Doc said I had PMS.........Painful Manual Starting..... Sad oweeee --- oweeee

Hope things get better soon.......black button time.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 23, 2009, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

PMS Smile

It doesnt hurt all the time, you'll be like sitting on the head and go to stand up and nearly pass out from the pain!

Feels like a bit of grit pressing on my bones LOL..it aint of course..its a rusty bullet stuck in there..or at least thats what it feels like LOL
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

8-1 will make it easier to kick...retarded timing a bit too.. and if you just touch the black button for an instant at the beginning of the kick stroke it feels like starting a moped.....When I start mine in flop flops they quit calling me a wimp....but they don't see my thumb move... Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

I got a piece of shrapnel in my LEFT knee, but I know the pain. I will not let the VA here touch me.They almost killed mt dad, he had them remove a pin from his leg, & they blocked blood flow to his kidney's. When I get alot more pain, ice help's to bring down the swelling, thus reducing the pain.Could always get some oxy's.Oh, bullett's don't rust,they are lead..
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

Yeah thanks Gordo that made me feel better..

Yeah, I know about bullets, but it sounded poetic Smile

Where did you pick up that shrapnel, if its not too nosey?

I played Rugby as a kid, rough sport, I picked up many scrapes. But, to be honest the pain I get when I forget to take care of my knee when coming up from a kneel is ...enough to make me want to pass out frankly lol...actually why did I put LOL Smile

I am generally a very vocal person, but I am pretty good with discomfort, but ..cripes..LOL

I gotta say, I am pretty sure the bike is whats done it. Although I finally have it running sweet as a nut..that time when I forgot to turn the fuel on and one very nasty kick back that day..I didnt wander if I had it slightly retarded, but when I checked today it was BANG on.. Smile ..any how..I plowed into the starter as usual and it bit back at me, and put a hell of a strain on my knee, I felt a little "give" but no pain, later that day I forgot to turn the fuel on, and give it a good pounding too..oh well..

I only hope i havent done somethin' permanent but I aint particularly young and with this pain, I feel I may have done..

Crikey listen to me moaning LOL..

Did I mention how well its running (cept for the notchy box LOL)
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

The stuff came from a dud "Bouncing Betty", thankfully it only fizzled.Bit of a bang but not nearly a full explosion. Got lucky on that one.Little place down in the south east of Asia, called Vietnam. Nice place, maybe take the kiddie's there for a vacation,NOT. The trouble is I only had a medic clean & dress it. Oh well,gotten' kinda use to it now.Only when it's really cold, like10 f. or below.
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

Never chatted with a Vietnam Vet before, well, not whilst knowing it anyway. I guess there are a few older XS riders from the states that are vets.

I'll say that was about as lucky as you can get, a dud mine!
Photo Gallery
blackwidow

PostPosted: May 6, 2009, 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

I have an electric start on my bike and am glad I kept it I kick start now and then but more electric for me I'm too lazy to kick that thing LOL Hope your knee gets better
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

jake hows the knee feeling?
My electric starter is out and has been for a month or so. Just got one I bought on ebay to put on it. i was fueling up the other day and a lady pulled up behind me as I was done. A lot of cars were waiting since it was rush hour and I tried to hurry. I didn't bring her around to a compression spot as well as I should have and she just about kicked me over the handle bars. Nearly dropped the bike as it hurt so much. But now I'm ok and nothing hurt but my pride.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
woodman

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

My 78 XT500 Yamaha will put some serious hurting on you if you forget the compression release or dont have it tuned just right
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

I've been taking it very easy, and developed a method of getting it in the right place and then STANDING on it, with a straight knee Smile
Photo Gallery
acbanks

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

I've always avoided locking my knee for fear of breaking a leg.

I did ruin a perfectly good boot last month while fiddling with the timing. The kickstarter jumped right up through the rubber sole and was stuck in there beside my sock...had to take my boot off to get unhung from the bike. Walked funny for a week.
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

Sheeeit Sad Thats sound powerful Smile What you running her on ? Gunpowder? LOL
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

Problem you're having is that you're trying to kick the machine with your leg muscles. Trick is to use your body weight.

1) Put the sidestand down.
2) Wind the kickstart up until you've got engine compression at the top of the kick stroke.
3) With your right foot on the kickstart and your left foot on the riding peg, stand up with your weight on your left foot.
4) When your standing up with your left leg straight and your right leg "cocked" with your right foot on the kickstart, use your left leg to hop up in the air.
5 While you're on your way up, keep your right foot on the kickstarter as you straighten your right leg.
6) Bring your whole body weight down, through your stiff right leg and onto the kickstart pedal.
7) The weight of your body will mash the kickstart down and spin the engine real good, and you DON'T have to strain your right knee at all..

ore simply: Put the bike on the sidestand. Hop up in the air and bring your whole body weight down on top of that kickstart pedal. It's much easier than actually using your right leg to kick the thing.

An' when you get a little practice, you won't even need to put the sidestand down. Piece o' cake. Children can do it.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

acbanks wrote:
I've always avoided locking my knee for fear of breaking a leg.

I did ruin a perfectly good boot last month while fiddling with the timing. The kickstarter jumped right up through the rubber sole and was stuck in there beside my sock...had to take my boot off to get unhung from the bike. Walked funny for a week.

acbanks -- you didn't have on no boots that was worth a sh*t when that happened. Real biker boots have hard, stiff soles. Then ain't fit for walking or for dancing or for shooting hoops.

Lots of guys think bikers wear heavy boots because bikers wanna look tough. An' sure, if you're gonna wear boots, you wanna pair makes you look like you gotta pair, if you know what I mean. But the rock-hard truth is that looks are a secondary consideration: Bikers wear heavy boots because bikers NEED heavy boots.

That kickstart wouln't poke a hole in the things that I wear, I guaran-frikken-tee you. An' if you don't wanna end up a cripple, you'll get a pair of heavy boots with HARD soles and heels and you'll wear 'em when ever you go for a ride.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I ain't fooling. Motorcycles are NOT for guys who go barefoot, guys who wear tennies, guys who wear shower thongs, etc. Get some hardware to protect your tender feet and ankles or brother, you WILL be sorry.
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

easiest pain free bikes to kickstart ever. Find TDC on compression stroke and kick. If you do that it will never kick back. I have been kicking mine for 2 years and i drive it every day to work.
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

You guys are killing me with this............I can kick start mine easily with ole walmart tennis shoes........not kidding.....flip flops even if I must.........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

for once i agree with XS john. I can kick this easy and most kickstart street bikes were gone already when i was born...most of the ole dogs on here should be used to it.
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

For once......geee
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

John, Oldschool -- you guys are tune-up aces. John's bike only has 8-1 compression and the timing is retarded, just like the rider.

But maybe if you got on Jake's bike (I take it that Jake is NOT a tune-up ace) and tried to kick his machine while wearing tennies or flip-flops, you might think differently about wearing boots.

Boots should be a constant with any rider. I can't imagine getting into a wreck or laying a machine down without boots on my feet. How are you gonna handle it one day if a situation forces you to drop one leg and drag one of your feet an' you wearin' flip-flops? Are you ready to tell a new rider that he'll never have to do a thing like that? That it'd be OK to go barefoot if he feels like it? You wanna promise him he'll never get hurt?

I could tell you about the big, tough, hippie Harley biker I saw up in Pilot Rock, OR. He'd just got out of prison. Showin' off to his ol' lady an' kids, he hopped on his Sporty barefoot, kicked it to life and took off. When he came home, the front end of his right foot was MIA. He had his toes in his pants pocket, said they'd got too closely acquainted with the Sporty's drive chain. His wife called the ambulance, which took him and his toes to the hospital. I don't know how it ever came out because I was loading my truck to move away when he and his toes showed up.

But you're certain that nothing like that will ever happen to you because you're the two greatest, most experienced and knowledgeable riders in the world, right? Does either of you wear a helmet? Why bother to wear a helmet if you don't need boots?

Live long and prosper, I say.
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

What is this ......arm chair advice.......... Laughing
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

for some real fun try kicking over a 1000cc sportster with 12:1 compression, magneto ignition, known to make grown men cry, these thing kick over so easy, don't jump on the starter push/kick it thru
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickstart Knee! Its true..

xsjohn wrote:
You guys are killing me with this............I can kick start mine easily with ole walmart tennis shoes........not kidding.....flip flops even if I must.........
xsjohn

Is this the same xsjohn that uses the starter as he kick's over to make it easier to start Laughing
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2