650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > jockey shift

jockey shift
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
borjawil

PostPosted: April 23, 2009, 8:42 pm    Post subject: jockey shift

So i like the idea and look of a jockey shift. I realize it will be hard, imo, to fabricate a right side one. So i was just wondering how a left side one works. Do i just switch the clutch and brake sides?

id rather not switch them and have a right side shift. if anyone had ideas on how to create an inexpensive one let me know. thanks

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 23, 2009, 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

generally when you go to a jockey shift you put on a foot clutch, this is where it gets interesting, the old Harley and Indians with hand shifters had lock down clutches, that is you pressed it down and it would stay in the clutched posistion until you kicked it back into gear, with a on/off type pedal (suicide clutch) you have to keep your foot on the pedal to keep it out of gear, this is why guys are bastardizing and putting the shifts on the right side, letting go of the throttle instead of the chutch lever on the left bar to make their shifts still using the lever on the bar rather than putting on a pedal clutch (which aren't legal in all states)..... But, But, But It's A Work Of Art!!!!
borjawil

PostPosted: April 23, 2009, 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

wow. well i didnt know that. and im guessing its called a suicide clutch because if you lift your foot off your screwed. lol. sounds interesting but id rather have a hand clutch...hmmm ideas would be help full right now. i think i have one. guess we will have to see.

PostPosted: April 23, 2009, 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

jayel is right. They call the foot clutch a 'suicide' clutch for a reason, the reason being that they're dangerous as hell. You don't really think the entire motorcycle industry switched to the handlebar clutch fifty years ago for no good reason, do you? The things these guys are doing with those yamachops, the right-hand shifter and the left-hand clutch, are arguably even more dangerous than the old Harley and Indian 'suicide' iterations. And while I expect to be attacked for saying so, no argument will alter the fact: Sooner or later, there'll be a dyin' caused by that idiot, left-hand clutch, right-hand shifter arrangement.

The best argument I've heard in favor of it is that it looks good. My reply to those who say so is "It only looks good to people who don't properly appreciate what they're looking at." A 1911 Colt .45 is a thing of beauty, too -- unless it's pointed at your face by someone who is deadly serious. Then it looks different.
borjawil

PostPosted: April 23, 2009, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

i see...i think ill re-think my thought of thinking of a thought up jockey shift.

PostPosted: April 23, 2009, 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

jimmythetrucker wrote:
jayel is right. They call the foot clutch a 'suicide' clutch for a reason, the reason being that they're dangerous as hell. You don't really think the entire motorcycle industry switched to the handlebar clutch fifty years ago for no good reason, do you? The things these guys are doing with those yamachops, the right-hand shifter and the left-hand clutch, are arguably even more dangerous than the old Harley and Indian 'suicide' iterations. And while I expect to be attacked for saying so, no argument will alter the fact: Sooner or later, there'll be a dyin' caused by that idiot, left-hand clutch, right-hand shifter arrangement.

The best argument I've heard in favor of it is that it looks good. My reply to those who say so is "It only looks good to people who don't properly appreciate what they're looking at." A 1911 Colt .45 is a thing of beauty, too -- unless it's pointed at your face by someone who is deadly serious. Then it looks different.

I'd like to hear your reasoning as to WHY this is dangerous in YOUR opinion. And I'd like to hear your EXPERIENCE with riding this way. Some of us actually have control over our bikes whether both hands are on the bars at the same time or not.

josh
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

calicruiser sed -- "I'd like to hear your reasoning as to WHY this is dangerous in YOUR opinion. And I'd like to hear your EXPERIENCE with riding this way."

Jimmy sez -- It's dangerous precisely because you don't understand why it's dangerous. I have no EXPERIENCE with riding that way and I don't plan to acquire any because I understand what you do not yet understand.

calicruiser sed -- "Some of us actually have control over our bikes whether both hands are on the bars at the same time or not.

Jimmy sez -- Some of you THINK you have control over your bikes whether both hands are on the bars at the same time or not. One day when the s*** hits the fan, if you are lucky you will learn to think differently.

All one-armed flat-track racers in the audience, please stand up and clap!
calicruiser

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

jimmythetrucker wrote:
calicruiser sed -- "I'd like to hear your reasoning as to WHY this is dangerous in YOUR opinion. And I'd like to hear your EXPERIENCE with riding this way."

Jimmy sez -- It's dangerous precisely because you don't understand why it's dangerous. I have no EXPERIENCE with riding that way and I don't plan to acquire any because I understand what you do not yet understand.

calicruiser sed -- "Some of us actually have control over our bikes whether both hands are on the bars at the same time or not.

Jimmy sez -- Some of you THINK you have control over your bikes whether both hands are on the bars at the same time or not. One day when the s*** hits the fan, if you are lucky you will learn to think differently.

WOW PROFOUND statements my friend! Care to elaborate on what I dont understand about my own bike and riding style and what you THINK you understand about my bike and riding style? seriously, I would like to hear something other than, "i know something you dont, idiot" be a man and lets hear it.

josh
ghostyder

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

my left hand clutch, left foot shift is satisfactory for me, but cool is cool. what id really like to see is a one armed flat tracker stand up and clap! lmao, thats better than a midget tossing contest i bet.

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

seriously though, i always thought the whole point of converting to jockey shift was to clean up the handlebars, if youre running a hand clutch and right handed shift, as cool as it looks i dont see the point. if i ever was to do it i always figured id put a clutch lever on the shifter, on the left side. but since ive come to a point where i appreciate having both front and rear breaks, what would be the point? either way im gonna have a lever on my handlebars, mays as well have two.

though i have seen some neat set ups that operated both front and rear hydraulic brakes from the foot pedal. hmmm???

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

I saw a guy here locally that put a clutch lever ON the left side hand shift lever . When he was ready to shift he squeezes the clutch lever, moves the shifter, lets off. I had taken some pictures but like an tech challenged idiot I deleted them off my phone. Might have to ride by and take them again.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

it's dangerous because if your foot slips off the foot clutch pedal and you're in gear it will go forward wheather you're ready or not, and starting off with only one hand on the control bars is just plain stupid wheather you think your in control or not
scotts

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

Not trying to stir the pot...'cause I admit I don't understand a lot about jockey/suicide shifts....but would a foot clutch automatically be a lock down clutch?
Why wouldn't it operate just like the clutch in my VW? I'm ignorant on the matter, so enlighten me.
Even so, I don't see the advantage of the right hand shift. I'd like to keep my hand on the throttle, where it's needed. But why couldn't clutching/shifting with the left hand be made to work?
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

calicruiser wrote:
jimmythetrucker wrote:

WOW PROFOUND statements my friend! Care to elaborate on what I dont understand about my own bike and riding style and what you THINK you understand about my bike and riding style? seriously, I would like to hear something other than, "i know something you dont, idiot" be a man and lets hear it. josh

calicruiser -- Away back when I made the original statement, I said I was gonna take some heat for saying what I said. But I said it anyway. That's a part of being a man where I come from. So I'm taking the heat now, and I don't believe you can hear me cry.

I never thought for a moment that anyone on your side of this discussion would be swayed by what I said. That's because what I said only makes sense to those who've had an experience of a certain sort that you obviously haven't had yet. That's no reflection on you. It doesn't mean that you're stupid. In fact, it means that you're normal and it's guys like me who are the freaks.

The experience I've alluded to is real but it takes many forms, probably as many forms as there are people who undergo it. You won't see it coming if it ever comes to you. You wouldn't recognize it if you saw it coming. And you won't know precisely when it's passed if it passes you. But after it's passed you (if it passes), life won't be the same for you.

This message is the last I will post on this topic. You may think and say it's a copout. It isn't really, but you're entitled to think and say so and I don't care if you do.

Shine it on.
BigGeorge

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

scotts wrote:
Not trying to stir the pot...'cause I admit I don't understand a lot about jockey/suicide shifts....but would a foot clutch automatically be a lock down clutch?
Why wouldn't it operate just like the clutch in my VW? I'm ignorant on the matter, so enlighten me.
Even so, I don't see the advantage of the right hand shift. I'd like to keep my hand on the throttle, where it's needed. But why couldn't clutching/shifting with the left hand be made to work?

Scotts, Maybe I can clear this up for you.... There are 3 separate clutch engagements here that we are talking about... The first is a rocker type clutch arrangement where as the clutch pedal has both a heel and toe arrangement that pivots in the middle or rocks forward and backwards. Push on the back of the pedal and it disengages the clutch, push on the front of the pedal and it engages the clutch. It will stay in either position it is placed in until you move it with your heel or toe.
The second is a suicide clutch that works much like the clutch in your VW. Push it down it disengages, let it up its engaged. Problem is if you come to a stop you must put the bike in neutral before you stop or stop with only your right foot down . To go you must push in the clutch, put the bike in gear and let the clutch up just like in your VW. Imagine being at a traffic light in gear with only your right foot down and a gust of wind comes along and you have to put your left foot down to keep from falling over. Well its like popping the clutch and you will hopefully stall the bike and not end up on the trunk of the car in front of you... thus its called a suicide clutch.
The third is what we are all most familiar with. The clutch is activated by a
lever on the handle bar or in some cases the lever is remounted to a shift
lever by your left hip so you have the shift and clutch all in your left hand. This also means holding in the clutch and letting it out and shifting
with only your right hand on the bars to operate the throttle... Hope this clears it up for you Scotts... Sorry for the long post...........BG

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

hmmm...ty bg. and as for the discussion it goes both ways. its all in personal preference and experience. thank you for both sides of the arguments. still havent decided which i want to do but ill keep both in mind

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

jimmythetrucker wrote:
calicruiser -- Away back when I made the original statement, I said I was gonna take some heat for saying what I said. But I said it anyway. That's a part of being a man where I come from. So I'm taking the heat now, and I don't believe you can hear me cry.

I never thought for a moment that anyone on your side of this discussion would be swayed by what I said. That's because what I said only makes sense to those who've had an experience of a certain sort that you obviously haven't had yet. That's no reflection on you. It doesn't mean that you're stupid. In fact, it means that you're normal and it's guys like me who are the freaks.

The experience I've alluded to is real but it takes many forms, probably as many forms as there are people who undergo it. You won't see it coming if it ever comes to you. You wouldn't recognize it if you saw it coming. And you won't know precisely when it's passed if it passes you. But after it's passed you (if it passes), life won't be the same for you.

This message is the last I will post on this topic. You may think and say it's a copout. It isn't really, but you're entitled to think and say so and I don't care if you do.

Shine it on.

borjawil

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

LMAO. wow.

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

Is it a blueberry pancake? I don't like blueberry pancakes.
scotts

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

Thanks BigGeorge....That makes total sense and clears up a few things (for me, anyway....).
Photo Gallery
borjawil

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

i like hot cakes

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

jimmythetrucker wrote:
calicruiser wrote:
jimmythetrucker wrote:

WOW PROFOUND statements my friend! Care to elaborate on what I dont understand about my own bike and riding style and what you THINK you understand about my bike and riding style? seriously, I would like to hear something other than, "i know something you dont, idiot" be a man and lets hear it. josh

Shine it on.

sooooooooooooooooooooooo, you've crashed your bike before and thought about giving up riding and didnt so now safety of all shapes are your preference? I have not wrecked my bike yet and I dont plan on doing it any time soon. IF I do, I will deal with it, hop back on and continue on with life.

If you haven't wrecked your bike before I have no idea what the hell you are talking about nor do I want to know if it has to be said in code. that is all sir.

josh
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 25, 2009, 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

No. I've never had a real scary wreck. I've never been involved in an injury accident.
calicruiser

PostPosted: April 25, 2009, 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: jockey shift

jimmythetrucker wrote:
No. I've never had a real scary wreck. I've never been involved in an injury accident.

oh I see, so you are just talking jibberish then? that's what I thought!

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4