650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > MikesXS Chain Riveting Tool......

MikesXS Chain Riveting Tool......
    Forum Index -> Engine
jfinnan

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 8:05 pm    Post subject: MikesXS Chain Riveting Tool......

For those that have bought the tool and first looked at it with the same burning question..... "What the................?" Yeah...the directions that come with it are not the best, and it took me and a friend to finally figure out how to properly assemble the thing to actually rivet the cam chain links. Here is a picture showing how it is supposed to be assembled for riveting. The included instructions assume a lot........or maybe it is just me. Anyhow, I thought I would share it as an "exploded parts" view.....

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Chain Riveting Tool......

Here is the result. The chain I had was a Tsubaki, and the rivet link had dimples in the ends. The rivet head has a somewhat pointed head that aligns with the dimple. Though, from the photo, you can see that it slipped somewhat during the riveting process. However, the end result looks satisfactory.
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Chain Riveting Tool......

As much as i like mikes gear he does let himself down a bit with his instructions
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Chain Riveting Tool......

The last technical writting/editing job I had that I actually cared about, I tried to convince management that money spent on service literature is actually money spent on advertising. A guy who buys a machine or a tool that comes with an array of solid, supportive technical literature is happier than the guy who buys a machine or a tool and has to stand around scratching his arse while he's trying to figure out how to make the bloody thing do what it's supposed to do or to fix it when it breaks.

The guy who is happy with his purchase goes and tells his friends. So does the guy who is unhappy with his purchase. For management, then, good technical literature should be one of those things you strive to achieve. They won't buy it.

anagement most often sees money spent on technical literature as money spent for nothing. The attitude toward customers at Terex, for example, seems something like this:

"You paid us a lousy $5 million for our wonderful machine and now you got the GALL to come back here and chisel on us for a goddam BOOK? OK. We got one for you: It's 25 years old and was written for a different piece of equipment, but the essential information is in there. Here it is. It's kind of blurry because it's a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy, but you can figure it out if you try just a little."

I'm not saying Mike is like that. I'm saying that factory management is often like that. And knowing what I know about the process, I don't believe Mike publishes instructions for his merchandise. The info comes in the retail package, with the tool, direct from the manufacturer.

Where products are purchased overseas, translation is often the problem. They don't wanna pay for a knowledgeable translator, so they try to do the job with software, which simply does not work. Software translations of technical literature aren't worf a s**t and probably never will be. The reason is simple: The people who wrote the translation routine don't know a timed gearset from a rattling carbuncle, so the proper terms are never written into the program. In order to do the job right, a separate software program would have to be written for every technical manual translated. And competent programmers are just as scarce (and far more expensive) than competent technical writers.

Last edited by jimmythetrucker on April 20, 2009, 8:06 am; edited 2 times in total
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Chain Riveting Tool......

jfinnan wrote:
Here is the result. The chain I had was a Tsubaki, and the rivet link had dimples in the ends. The rivet head has a somewhat pointed head that aligns with the dimple. Though, from the photo, you can see that it slipped somewhat during the riveting process. However, the end result looks satisfactory.
mashed them a little more than necessary there, jfin, but no biggie that will work

nokitov

PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Chain Riveting Tool......

You only mash them once don't you. You replace with a new link and plate after taking the old link off, right? I've never pulled my 650 chain myself but had my inspection mechanic put on a new one last time it was inspected...that would be 1982 I believe.

y old Honda chain was easy. pull the snap and pull the link. On new chains you always had a couple of links more than you needed so we'd just grind the head off of the regular link and punch the pin out, after counting to the right link, push the connector on, push the snap in place, nothing to press or flare. Of course, I don't know if being a 125cc had anything to do with simplicity or not.

5twins

PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Chain Riveting Tool......

deleted

Last edited by 5twins on September 17, 2009, 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
nokitov

PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Chain Riveting Tool......

hey 5twins. very pretty. I know some people who's teeth aren't that even. been playing hockey too long or drinkin too much.

y original question though. One use per connector?

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Chain Riveting Tool......

nokitov wrote:
You only mash them once don't you. You replace with a new link and plate after taking the old link off,

y old Honda chain was easy. pull the snap and pull the link. On new chains you always had a couple of links more than you needed so we'd just grind the head off of the regular link and punch the pin out, after counting to the right link, push the connector on, push the snap in place, nothing to press or flare. Of course, I don't know if being a 125cc had anything to do with simplicity or not.
they are talking cam chains Nokitov.. don't think you want a snapon keeper in the engine

tacoswild

PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Chain Riveting Tool......

If mine came with any instructions at all I didn't see them! This appears to be either the exact same tool or a close copy of this motion pro one and their instructions are good:

www.motionpro.com/tech...ting_tool/
nokitov

PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Chain Riveting Tool......

thanks jayel, like duh, I just saw the category...Engines...I've got drive chain on my mind so I'm not paying attention very well.
jfinnan

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Chain Riveting Tool......

hey tacoswild....excellent link and much better instructions.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1