650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > All the rest > > Speedometer/cable what's up!

Speedometer/cable what's up!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
    Forum Index -> All the rest
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 18, 2009, 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

Good idea, yamaman.

One other thing you might try: Use a mirror under the speedo head to look up, into the speedo drive. You should be able to see a little, tiny, square hole in the center of the speedo drive. Your cable has to fit INTO that hole. It won't work in any other position, even though you've got the cable housing threaded onto the speedo.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 18, 2009, 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

maybe that hole is wallowed out and not getting the drive from the cable?
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 18, 2009, 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

jayel wrote:

Well, jayel, he claims he can make the speedo work by hooking it up to the tach cable. So if the hole in the cable drive was wallered out, as you suggest, common sense and logic together dictate that he couldn't make the speedo work by hooking it to the tach drive, either. On the other hand, there's so many things happening here in defiance of logic and common sense that I begin to think he's pulling our collective leg.
oldbikenut

PostPosted: April 18, 2009, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

jimmythetrucker wrote:
jayel wrote:

Well, jayel, he claims he can make the speedo work by hooking it up to the tach cable. So if the hole in the cable drive was wallered out, as you suggest, common sense and logic together dictate that he couldn't make the speedo work by hooking it to the tach drive, either. On the other hand, there's so many things happening here in defiance of logic and common sense that I begin to think he's pulling our collective leg.

I promise this is real and it's a real pain! In fact I wish I was making it up as it's really bugging me, though I know I'm close! I'm going to get up early tommarow and mess with it and I'll let you guys know what I find out. Thanks again! And jayel I will look at the holes to make sure they still are square.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 18, 2009, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

which way is the inner core inserted into the cable? should be from the bottom up, grasping at straws here but you never know.....
oldbikenut

PostPosted: April 18, 2009, 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

jayel I believe that is the way it came. Like I said I'll check in the morning and I'll take pictures of the cable seated in the drive unit and how far the inner cable is sticking above the metal part of the cable housing. And please any ideas you may have, please know that I appreciate it!
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: April 18, 2009, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

Hop on one foot, close one eye...... Wink

My Bikes

Last edited by pumps on April 19, 2009, 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
JLukasik

PostPosted: April 18, 2009, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

How are you testing it? With a test drive or by spinning the wheel by hand? I could not get the speedo to register by spinning the wheel by hand, but once I went for a ride, no problem.
oldbikenut

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

JLukasik wrote:
How are you testing it? With a test drive or by spinning the wheel by hand? I could not get the speedo to register by spinning the wheel by hand, but once I went for a ride, no problem.

Interesting point! I did try driving it but that was with the old cable, I think maybe I will try riding the bike around when I'm sure I have everything hooked up correctly using the new cable.

Thanks pumps Also a good suggestion!
oldbikenut

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Okay guys I just decided to take my time and make sure all the cable ends went in correctly amd knowing the drive unit was working, I did not even spin the wheel to check I just went on a short ride and bingo I have a speedometer! What a pain this was but at least I took everything apart in the drive unit and regreased it and got a new cable. Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this and please know I very much appeciate you help and knowledge!
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

Congratulations!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
oldbikenut

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

pumps wrote:
Congratulations!
Thanks pumps! Here's the before and after of the gauges and the most recent picture of my bike.
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

Dang....an un-dicked bike.........where's the side cover emblems though.....maybe an Iron Cross or something...... Laughing

good job..........and they say the Specials are ugly.....bull s***.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

xsjohn wrote:
where's the side cover emblems though.....maybe an Iron Cross or something...... xsjohn
wrong country.... a rising sun or crossed samurai swords or 青いバイク (blue bike)... hey wow! your bike is 5000 miles newer now Very Happy

oldbikenut

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

xsjohn wrote:
Dang....an un-dicked bike.........where's the side cover emblems though.....maybe an Iron Cross or something...... Laughing

good job..........and they say the Specials are ugly.....bull s***.....

xsjohn

Thanks! I'm liking the way my bikes looking too! The side emblems were removed by the PO. Now hopefully no one thinks it's dumb but I painted over the gold tank emblems, they were faded and I thought the silver might look better.
oldbikenut

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

jayel wrote:
hey wow! your bike is 5000 miles newer now Very Happy

It maybe a mental thing but the bike feels newer with 5,000 less miles on the odometer! Laughing I don't want to ride my bike anymore, I've got to keep the miles down! Wink
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

青い自転車

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

wait till you get to 68 thou..... (try pulling the cotter pins out of the shift forks that are in the back and you can't see).....after a couple of gears come apart in there... liberal touchy feely thing to fix there.....8.7-1 just beats the heck out of everything....tranny included eventually...or rev it to death with the factory tractor gears while the mirros fall off....... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh and make sure you time it exactly on the F mark so it won't run worth a crap at lower rpms so you have to rev the crap out of it to get anywhere with the tractor gears.....like even to WalMart................ Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Next post will be ....my chopper or tuning for straight pipes....or what is that engine noise..... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ............

And the best one is how do I hop it up some more...this is my first build....... Laughing Laughing Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

oldbikenut wrote:
:D Very Happy Very Happy Okay guys I just decided to take my time and make sure all the cable ends went in correctly amd knowing the drive unit was working, I did not even spin the wheel to check I just went on a short ride and bingo I have a speedometer! What a pain this was but at least I took everything apart in the drive unit and regreased it and got a new cable. Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this and please know I very much appeciate you help and knowledge!

I knew it! Congratulations on finding what you thought was the problem.

John is right. Now you've fixed the speedo, you'll find the suspension is an annoyance. Saw off the swingarm and weld a hardtail on the back, so it looks like a Schwinn. The seat looks too toinky. Maybe you ought to chuck it and weld on a Radio Flyer wagon box, got them little three-inch sides all around so you don't fall out of it when you race from one cafe to the next. Drill holes in EVERYTHING, make it nice and light. Lay it down on its side and back over it with a loaded tractor-trailer, call it a flat-tracker. I mean, you ride a Special you aint Jack, Bo.
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

Actually you should throw the tack and speedo in the trash....staring at them and you run into something or off the road.........like looking at the chain flutter..........if you rev it too high it blows and if you ain't going fast enough some will run slap over you........ Laughing

Plus trying to justify your speed means nothing to the judge.....he just wants your money anyway.....as you are pulled over and the van full of Mexicans drives by...............

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

xsjohn wrote:
Plus trying to justify your speed means nothing to the judge.....he just wants your money anyway.....as you are pulled over and the van full of Mexicans drives by..............xsjohn

Actually, John, the Mexicans won't drive by. They'll stop and steal your scooter while the cops beat your ass and load you in the back of the prowler.
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

Well it really wouldn't make much since to expend all that energy beating you if there was nothing for them to gain for it...... Very Happy

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

xsjohn wrote:
Well it really wouldn't make much since to expend all that energy beating you if there was nothing for them to gain for it...... Very Happy xsjohn

Cops LIKE to beat people, John. They don't care if it makes any sense.
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/cable what's up!

Well at 135LBS I wish I could beat some people.......but I wasn't given long enough fangs......and it hurts to keep hitting the TV screen....... Sad

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> All the rest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3