650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > Paint for pipes

Paint for pipes
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 5, 2005, 10:22 am    Post subject: Paint for pipes

I'm getting ready to to paint my mac pipes because they look like a rusty old junk bike. Anyway I went to the shop and home depot and there are about 10 kinds of piant. What say you all about paint for the pipes. What if anything have you used?
Photo Gallery
mojo1272

PostPosted: April 5, 2005, 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

Yea, I second this question. I have yet to meet a "high temp,store bought" paint that holds up even one riding season.
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 5, 2005, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

I think that's the reason you see people wrapping their pipes. I'm not sure of the material but it looks like it would be fairly simple to apply.
Photo Gallery
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 6, 2005, 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

What do you think about powder coating the pipes?
Photo Gallery
robertpokerplayer

PostPosted: April 6, 2005, 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

Powder coating should work, after all the paint is baked on at 800 or 900 degrees, also you might check out Dupli Color engine enamels, they have some with cerimac (sp?) that is suppose to withstand 2000 degrees and they have a clear coat for it too.
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 6, 2005, 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

Definetly Powder Coating would work. I've seen it but never had it done. How expensive is it comparded to chrome?
Photo Gallery
robertpokerplayer

PostPosted: April 6, 2005, 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

I have checked into getting my tank and fenders done and the places around here tell me $75-$100 for the coating plus the cost of sandblasting the paint off, chrome they told me a scotch bright pad worked over the chrome usually works well. My money would be for powder coating, don't have to worry about rock chips as much.
Anomalovaho

PostPosted: April 6, 2005, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

the tape there putting on there pipes is a muffler tape ....you can get it at anyplace thats sells automotive stuff...also some of it is coming from pipe fitters supply places as well ..its just a high tempature tape but it is i belive different material pretty sure...let your pipes heat up and start a rappin .
pretty sure you can powder coat in a plane ol oven at home.
Anomalovaho

Sincerely me...
Anomalovaho
flavaz33

PostPosted: April 7, 2005, 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

I'd like to wrap part of my pipes. I've found exhaust tape with adhesive, and exhaust wrap. The wrap says nothing about adhesive, so how would you apply it or does it also have an adhesive?
flavaz33

PostPosted: April 7, 2005, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

Also in reply to the Q about paint. I've recently used the high temp Dupli engine paint on my engine that I found at good ole Walmart, so far the results are good. I'm sure it will work well on pipes too. Watching a recent episode of Milwuakee Iron they painted thier pipes for thier new custom bike "Nuthin Fancy" with paint used for gas grills.
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 7, 2005, 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

mo650chopper wrote:
Definetly Powder Coating would work. I've seen it but never had it done. How expensive is it comparded to chrome?

I let you know. I'm stopping by the company that does this work here in asheville.

Photo Gallery
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 7, 2005, 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

Anomalovaho wrote:

pretty sure you can powder coat in a plane ol oven at home.
Anomalovaho

If your talking about my WIFE'S oven no way she's gona go for that. She hardly lets me work in my own carport I'm sure the kitchens out of the question Rolling Eyes

Photo Gallery
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 7, 2005, 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

flavaz33 wrote:
Watching a recent episode of Milwuakee Iron they painted thier pipes for thier new custom bike "Nuthin Fancy" with paint used for gas grills.

If power coating is to much around here then this is what I will do for now.

Photo Gallery
excesstoo

PostPosted: August 1, 2005, 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

If you're thinking about painting your pipes, why don't you Ceramic Coat them. It'll last forever, it dissipates heat like nothing else and reduces head pipe temperatures by about 50%. It also look's pretty damn fine.
There are a few places around that do it. The most well known is Jet Hot. But just search for ceramic coatings to find many others.
I've just been looking into this myself for the custom pipes I'm gonna be building and it looks like it'll cost between 125 and 150 plus shipping for a set of head pipes.

PostPosted: August 11, 2005, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

rattle-can BAR-B-Q paint
Jack

PostPosted: August 11, 2005, 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

You can't beat Ceramic coatings as they retain the heat in the headers where it belongs to increase the gas velocities ,allowing the motor to pull harder with less effort. Just coat inner and outer for maximum benifits....Jack
excesstoo

PostPosted: September 4, 2005, 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

kuna wrote:
rattle-can BAR-B-Q paint

If you're dead set on spray painting your pipes, don't use BBQ paint. Cause BBQ's don't get anywhere near the temperatures of exhaust gasses. Dupli-color makes high heat paint that will withstand up to 1200˚ which would hold up a lot better.

PostPosted: October 17, 2005, 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

As far as exhaust wraps go, I've used black auto header wrap on my Yamaha Raptor...its a cloth material with fiberglass in it. I just wrapped the pipe when it was cool and ran the engine as normal. It smells a little for awhile and even smoked a little, but it sure beat removing the pipe and trying to make it look as good by rattle can painting it.
Photo Gallery
Phred

PostPosted: October 21, 2005, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

The exhaust wrap is put on without adhesive-it should come with something like metal "zip ties" to hold it in place. I've always wondered if corrosion is a problem with wrap, as you aren't keeping oxygen away from the hot steel. Powder coating is rarely baked at much over 450-500 degrees, but when baked undergoes a chemical reaction. Any decent shop should have no problem powdering your pipes, and will use hi-temp powder. Drawbacks are limited finish choices and inability to coat the inside of the pipes. Ceramic coating is outstanding. Jet-Hot is the standard, but many powder-coaters can do this as well. The inside of the pipes can be coated, providing much better corrosion resistance, but again the color choices are very limited. If you want to go the cheap route, spray-bomb with high-temp rattle can every year or so and buy used pipes on e-bay when yours finally burn out.
Photo Gallery
4lungfreak

PostPosted: November 2, 2006, 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

I just bought a rattle can of Rustoleum Specialty High Heat paint at Lowes. I haven't used it yet, but it says it withstands heat up to 1200 degrees F. I'm only planning on painting the straight pipes from the end of the headers back.

I've never used this stuff before, so I was wondering:

Are you supposed to use primer first?

And if so, does the primer have to be hi temp also?

I think I'm gonna look into the Dupli-Color engine paint first and go with whichever sounds best.

Paul
MildMitch

PostPosted: November 3, 2006, 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

Hi temp paint goes on straight, no primer. Make sure the sufarce is clean. Rattle cans work best if they are warmed up first, not hot, WARM.

Sunshine, or under the hot water from your sink for a few minutes. Also the pipes could be warmed to, just a bit. Paint will go on and flow much better.

I build Hot Rods and Custom Bikes for a living, we use Plain ol' Bar-B-Que black (Rustoleum) a lot for exhaust pipes and other surfaces as well. Buy the good stuff and it'll hold up a season or two.

itch

4lungfreak

PostPosted: November 3, 2006, 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

Thanks Mitch,

I'll make sure and follow your suggestions if I go with the rattle can.

Have you ever used the dupli color engine paint that excesstoo is talking about. I was just wondering if the application is any different...

Paul
MildMitch

PostPosted: November 3, 2006, 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

4lung...
I think I have. It should work the same way. I've never had very good longevity using Hi temp engines paints tho. I guess the Black paint we've been using is actually (wood) STOVE paint, although I've used the BBQ paint as well.

On my Roadster engine block, a Big Block Chevy, I used regular auto paint, same as was shot on the wheels. Metal etched the cleaned block, painted without primer. No more than just to cover with color. That way it stays very thin and flexible with the heat cycles. It's stayed bright and shiney for years. Hasn't cracked where the hi temp engine paint had previously.

Also, I thought of something else after posting here last nite.
Nothing will adhere to chrome well at all. If you have a chrome shop, they can remove it from the pipes. Don't mess with trying to sand or grind it off, it's very nasty (toxic) to breath the dust. Never weld to chrome as well, just as bad or worse.

I agree also that the best product these days is ceramic coatings. They can be done in colors or aluminum and can be polished too. I have a good and reliable source for ceramic coatings if you want.

Wrapping is easy, the wrap is available thru good auto supplies. Black is available now too. It's not adheasive, but clamped or wired at the end.

Good luck,
Mitch

MildMitch

PostPosted: November 3, 2006, 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

4lung...
I think I have. It should work the same way. I've never had very good longevity using Hi temp engines paints tho. I guess the Black paint we've been using is actually (wood) STOVE paint, although I've used the BBQ paint as well.

On my Roadster engine block, a Big Block Chevy, I used regular auto paint, same as was shot on the wheels. Metal etched the cleaned block, painted without primer. No more than just to cover with color. That way it stays very thin and flexible with the heat cycles. It's stayed bright and shiney for years. Hasn't cracked where the hi temp engine paint had previously.

Also, I thought of something else after posting here last nite.
Nothing will adhere to chrome well at all. If you have a chrome shop, they can remove it from the pipes. Don't mess with trying to sand or grind it off, it's very nasty (toxic) to breath the dust. Never weld to chrome as well, just as bad or worse.

I agree also that the best product these days is ceramic coatings. They can be done in colors or aluminum and can be polished too. I have a good and reliable source for ceramic coatings if you want.

Wrapping is easy, the wrap is available thru good auto supplies. Black is available now too. It's not adheasive, but clamped or wired at the end.

Good luck,
Mitch

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2