650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Stock Parts > > WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans
    Forum Index -> Stock Parts
Malloy

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 7:09 pm    Post subject: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

Hey guys, I'm almost done with the project. (it has come a LONG way!)

Looking for clean/mint:
-side cover badges (I have none!)
-rear fender (bike has a cracked, incorrect fender on it now)
-stock exhaust cans (I hate the turnouts)

Stock bars are on the way. Thanks!

gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

1 Adam 12,bike look's great!!!!Sorry , no part's for ya, just had to say nice!Are those mike's pipe's? I think that whoever doe's the chrome want's to save some because my ascott's turned blue, now my 2-1 is starting to yellow. Very Happy
BubbaKahuna

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

Very nice looking bike!
Let me know when you're done with the turnouts.
I'm putting a former ice racer back on the street and they'd look good on it.

Cheers,
- JJ

tacoswild

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

Bike does look great. Makes me really want to paint mine. I don't have any spare parts unfortunately and I hate to add to your shopping list but you need tank badges too, I think the red ones were on the 70 only.
Malloy

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

Thanks guys! I was torn on the red vs black badges. The idea is to get the bike 'close enough' esp since the engine doesn't match. (its a '74 engine) The color and stripes are not perfect...but close enough.

I found this site that has side cover badges for $35 a piece:

but I'm not sure if they are right? I guess the all chrome is the one I would need, but I thought the original unit it had a black background. :-\
tacoswild

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

I can't picture what they look like right now but can take a pic for you when I get home from work tonight.
Malloy

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

Thanks Taco!
tacoswild

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

I have one sitting in front of me but I can't find the thing that reads the pictures off the camera's memory card. The style is the same as the ones you posted and I guess mine used to be like the second, yellow ones, but mine are now part silver, part yellow. Where it is yellow the color is thin and see through, not thick or metallic like the body paint. You can see the silver backing through it easily. Hopes that helps.
ayrhen

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

What is the address of the site with the sidecover badges? Who did your paint? Did you do it yourself?
Malloy

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

Badges are here: www.reproductiondecals.com The paint was done at my old mans shop..I brought in pics of a few restored 71s I found online and the painter did his best. Again, the color match is not perfect but its not intended to be a concours resto. If the numbers matched I would have probably taken it to that level.

Thanks Taco. I wonder if it will clash with the tin color...

So, does anyone have parts f.s? Wink
Malloy

PostPosted: April 3, 2009, 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

I bought the repro badges and Mikes Commando cans. Still need a rear fender....anyone? Please? Smile
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: April 3, 2009, 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

Fine work, she's a beauty.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Malloy

PostPosted: April 11, 2009, 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

Thanks pumps! I'm getting closer... Still need that fender...anyone??? Wink

Unfortunately, those Mike's K&N knockoffs don't fit under the side covers. Need to find someting that isnt $60 a side that will fit!

JeffM

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock c

Nice Bike! I like the new exhaust.

aybe hard to tell in photos but your fender looks correct to me. It's the grab bar that looks to be from a later bike. You should have a grab bar attached to the seat (avail from Mikesxs). There is a hoop the should extends horizontally to support the fender. Mine is an xs2, I think it should be similar.

img_1844.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.46 KB
 Viewed:  177 Time(s)

img_1844.jpg

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: April 13, 2009, 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

Did you remove the signals? I see the "flasher stays" as they are called on the fiche still there. Love that color.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Malloy

PostPosted: April 13, 2009, 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock c

Thanks Jeff!

Here is a pic of a proper XS1B
www.1971xs1b.com/images/Yamaha2.jpg

Somewhere in the last 30 something year someone decided to add their own larger grab bar...and they hacked into the rear fender to make it work. Very poor work. Damn shame really, as the chrome is decent....I just cant deal with the 2 gaping holes that were cut into the fender to 'mount' the larger grab bar. I did get the proper seat grab bar from Mikes Smile

pumps: No signals at all. Some of the wiring is there, some is gone. When the prev owner 'chopped' it he removed the signals since you can legally run without them in PA. I will eventually add signals too.

JeffM wrote:
Nice Bike! I like the new exhaust.

aybe hard to tell in photos but your fender looks correct to me. It's the grab bar that looks to be from a later bike. You should have a grab bar attached to the seat (avail from Mikesxs). There is a hoop the should extends horizontally to support the fender. Mine is an xs2, I think it should be similar.
Malloy

PostPosted: April 25, 2009, 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

Weekly bump for rear fender Smile
nudude53

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

Malloy

Nice job. Can I have it when you get tired of it?

You should spring for a set of the original style enclosed shocks from MikesXS, to me they make an XS1, kinda like fender skirts on an old car. Keep your eye on ebay for that grab bar and fender, they come up from time to time. I've seen some really nice fenders on there and recently there was a NOS grab bar that went for about $40. It would have been mine if I had been paying attention. That won't happen very often but you can always find one and get it re-chromed, a little spendy maybe but worth the outlay on a sweet machine like that.

nudude53

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

Malloy
Here's what you need, not pretty but salvagable and priced right.

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...0286221490

Malloy

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

53: thanks man and I 100% agree on the shocks. When I bought those shocks from Mikes, the repro ones weren't available. (or I just missed them) I'm putting another Mikes order together as we speak....and the enclosed ones will be on there Wink Im going to get the grab rail from Mikes too.

I need shock tubes...mikes hopes to have them by year end for the early bikes...but I'm sure I can get a clean set online if I keep looking.

This is my 1st old bike....and I'm hooked.
Malloy

PostPosted: May 10, 2009, 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

Rear fender, pretty please? Wink

I got the bike running nicely. Got the repro XS650 badges, stock style shocks too. Just need a fender and upper shock tubes. Mine are pitted and killing teh seals.
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 10, 2009, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

Malloy,can you fill the hole's and rechrome them?That's what we used to do with bumper's,weld on tab's on the back & filled the hole's, then rechrome them for that smooth look on a chrome fender. Just a suggestion, bike lookin' real nice, esp. with the new pipe's/muffler's.
Malloy

PostPosted: May 11, 2009, 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: WTB: '71 side cover badges rear fender / clean stock cans

Its cracked and they added 2 more holes for a weird luggage rack....the rear fender is really hosed. ITs possible to do what you are saying , but thats def the last possible solution. (chroming is getting expensive!) Thnks for the kind words...this has been very fun.

Forum Index -> Stock Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1