650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Glad to be on 650 Rider.com. New to the XS machine.

Glad to be on 650 Rider.com. New to the XS machine.
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
fasteddie

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 11:19 pm    Post subject: Glad to be on 650 Rider.com. New to the XS machine.

Hi, I am Eddie from New York State and I have just purchased a 1982 Heritage Special after being away from motorcycles for a few years. Actually got back into it to do some riding with my bro. I must say, although I love the look of the many cherry stock bikes I've seen on this site, my plans are to do some creative custom upgrades. I already have a probably minor, wiring issue with the headlight. It seems as though the previous owner took off the turn signals and speedometer as well as the tachometer. The headlight doesn't seem to work at all. I have no problem with leaving the turn signals off of the bike but a working headlight is essential. I can see the clipped wires of various colors coming out of the light housing. Could it be that just a black wire that was clipped needs to now be grounded? I'm terrible with wiring so if anyone can help a newbie it would be greatly appreciated. I will post pictures of the bike soon. Thanks.
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Glad to be on 650 Rider.com. New to the XS machine.

Welcome, loads of healpfull fellas here. I'm in Nassau NY myself. I like some of the soft tail bobers but wouldn't cut my frame because it is in such good shape. I'd like to get another to play with though.
Photo Gallery
penn71911

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Glad to be on 650 Rider.com. New to the XS machine.

You should have a yellow, green and black wire coming from your headlight plug... the black is the ground, so yeah, if it's snipped ground it... and welcome, I have an 82 as well.

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery
fasteddie

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Glad to be on 650 Rider.com. New to the XS machine.

Thanks Chris. Your '82 looks great. It's probably harder restoring a bike to original condition than finding aftermarket stuff. Wish I had that kind of time and patience but spring is here. I'm still rebuilding wheels and waiting for parts to arrive. Thankfully my frame has a swingarm in great shape. Guess I'll just checkout some xs' in pictures for now. Thanks for the welcome. TTYL.
Photo Gallery
penn71911

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Glad to be on 650 Rider.com. New to the XS machine.

Actually, it's pretty easy to go any way you want with the XS, with sources like 650central.com and mikesxs.com and our very own xsjohn (for bs34 carb needles and info), we can put these things back together pretty close to original... or go much, much better... Choose a path and ride my friend... the XS is a riders machine...

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Glad to be on 650 Rider.com. New to the XS machine.

Welcome! Someone here has a wiring diagram you can get I'll betcha.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Glad to be on 650 Rider.com. New to the XS machine.

Wiring diagram for 82, may be useful.

1982 and 83.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  287.7 KB
 Viewed:  170 Time(s)

1982 and 83.jpg

Photo Gallery
fasteddie

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Glad to be on 650 Rider.com. New to the XS machine.

Thanks for all of the info. I'm sure getting the light back shouldn't be too difficult. Does anyone know of any rallys or get togethers here in the Northeast? Maybe a Poker Run or Scavenger hunt? How sweet would that be, a scavenger hunt where other members hide the parts you need and you have to track them down via a map/GPS. Hmmm... might require larger saddle bags and a generous sponsor. Hey, it's just a thought. I've been working on my bike for three months now and if its not finished in the next three weeks. I'll dismantle it and hide the parts for everyone to find!
Photo Gallery
BigGeorge

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Glad to be on 650 Rider.com. New to the XS machine.

I dont need anyone to hide my parts as I do a good job of that myself without even trying... It comes with age... you'll see...

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1