650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Hey guys!

Hey guys!
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
TheRepairMan

PostPosted: March 19, 2009, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Hey guys!

I'm new here, but not really. I've been following a few 650 boards, including this one, for several years. Some since 2003, but in 2006 I got distracted from any restoration plans on my 78 XS650SE due to buying a new Yamaha FZ1.

I had really gotten frustrated counting dollars it would take to get the XS back to the shape I want it in, plus when I turned 50 in the Spring of 06 and the bug hit me so badly to ride, I just couldn't take it anymore. All my friends had gotten back into riding, and the area I live in exploded with new riders. Well, probably most of you have been through that at some time.

I rode the heck out of my new bike for two Summers and the newness has worn off now, so I'm looking at that 650 with an old passion once again. Of course I'm keeping the FZ1 to get away on every now and then, but the ol' Special would be so unique to ride around here. I'd be more than proud to ride her once again. I hope to bring her to a 650 rally someday.

Time to get started on the project again, and I want to start by thanking all you guys for all the work you've put into your bikes and shared here.

any Thanks!
Roger

ay 28th, 1978 to date, brand new, one owner, XS650 Special
penn71911

PostPosted: March 19, 2009, 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey guys!

Welcome friend! Lot's of knowledge on this forum, we all live and breathe XS...

First mistake is counting dollars... never do that... it'll just discourage ya... and the wifey will be able to tell you're lying easier if you know the actual amount you spent... Wink

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery
oldbikenut

PostPosted: March 19, 2009, 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey guys!

Welcome! And that's cool that you're the original owner Cool Can't wait to see some pictures. I to own a 78 XS650SE and am very excited to get it fixed up.
Xumi

PostPosted: March 20, 2009, 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey guys!

Welcome on board - I found the hardest part of working on my old bike is getting in the garage and picking up the wrench (so far).. of course that comes in very close to convincing the wife that "Yes, I really DO need this part/tool to get the bike running.. and No, I can't make it work with parts from my other bike (nor would I want to), and Yes, it really does cost that much, and No, I don't know how much more money it's going to take (but it's not going to be too much more... really!)"
'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
cbussler

PostPosted: March 20, 2009, 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey guys!

Welcome aboard! Seems like there's a great wealth of knowledge around here. If you find yourself running out of steam or can't quite figure something out, chances are that posting here might solve one or the other.
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 20, 2009, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey guys!

oldbikenut wrote:
Welcome! And that's cool that you're the original owner Cool Can't wait to see some pictures. I to own a 78 XS650SE and am very excited to get it fixed up.

The '78SE is, after all, the best of all XS650s!

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: March 20, 2009, 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey guys!

Welcome my friend and as far as counting dollars, insurance is cheap and no payment means you can buy LOTS of parts. Now the coolness factor...priceless.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
TheRepairMan

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey guys!

Thanks guys!

Yep, I'm going to have a good time here. I've already learned a lot about the bike I've had for so long. Thinking about restoration of my XS has brought back some wonderful memories of the great rides I had on it back in much simpler times. They call them "The good ol' days".

You guys feel free to ask me questions, too, as things come up. It's a shame to hold all this blank mental space to my self.

Roger

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1