650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > 1972 XS2 Decals

1972 XS2 Decals
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
cbussler

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 10:28 am    Post subject: 1972 XS2 Decals

I'm about to repaint my 1972 XS2 the original Brilliant Red. I had the paint matched to an original headlight bucket I have, but the tank was repainted many years ago, and I don't have any reference for the white stripes.

I've looked for reproduction decals without luck. I'd love to get this all done in one shot, rather than give up and just paint the bike red. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks again for any input.

-Carl
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

cbussler

Well, you could try these folks for the decals:

Click here for decals

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

I would love to see some pictures when you get done.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

Not sure I know what you're looking for, there are no decals on a 72. Looking for the yamaha badges on the side of the tank? or maybe the chrome trim for the sidecovers?
cbussler

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

Pamco: Yeah, I checked that site, and they don't go back that far. Nice site though! I may hit them up for my '75 cafe project after I get the '72 restoration near finished.

Tacos: The '72 does have tank badges, which I have. There are white curving stripes on each side. Perhaps they were pinstriped by hand, and are not 'decals'. I've never seen an original '72 tank up close, but I'll attach a photo I found online.

Thanks for the responses guys!

-Carl
Photo Gallery
ayrhen

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

I have a '72 and they don't look like decals to me. I'm guessing the tank was painted red, then they laid down some sort of template or sticker on top of the red paint and shot white on top (or vice versa) and then peeled away the tape to reveal the pattern.

The "straight" stripes would be easy to mimic with simple masking tape. You could go so far as to make yourself a curvilinear template for the curved stripes by tracing the outline on a broader strip of tape and cutting out the shape with an exacto knife.

I think you should keep an eye out for a crappy tank with original paint on ebay and buy it so you can have a prototype to mimic the striping. Then you could clean up the 2nd tank and use it as a beater so you don't get dings in your nice new paint job. Or re-paint the second tank and sell it back on ebay.

I want to get my tank painted but don't have the tools/know how to do it myself. If you have success, I might pay you to do mine!
gs1327
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

Any half decent paint shop can hook you up, careful use of fineline tape can yield great results, it will curve just fine.
Paint red, mask, paint white, remove mask, clearcoat.

Heres a pic of my tank in progress, then finished. The only part that is decal is the tuning fork logo and the lettering.
As an aside- has anyone noticed that "honda" repro aftermarket decals are extinct? I can't find them anywhere, looks like honda must have threatened these companies with legal action, I dunno.

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

This is my 71 RT1 and from what I've learned yamaha would paint the entire gas tank and oil tank red and then mask off and paint them black. Now I'm not sure what order your tank was done in but I'm pretty sure it was done this way. I remember reading somewhere about the process and if I can find it I'll make sure to post.
oldbikenut

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

gs1327 wrote:
Any half decent paint shop can hook you up, careful use of fineline tape can yield great results, it will curve just fine.
Paint red, mask, paint white, remove mask, clearcoat.

Heres a pic of my tank in progress, then finished. The only part that is decal is the tuning fork logo and the lettering.
As an aside- has anyone noticed that "honda" repro aftermarket decals are extinct? I can't find them anywhere, looks like honda must have threatened these companies with legal action, I dunno.

an I like the way you did your tank! Is that an original idea?
tacoswild

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

Oh I see now. I have a 71, slightly different stripes but from the way it wears and chips I can tell the paint order is white first (a little pearly, not straight nuclear white) then masked off for the stripes and shot with the color.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 18, 2009, 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

Love that trailie oldbikenut .. can we have another pic ?
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
oldbikenut

PostPosted: March 18, 2009, 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

xs1961 wrote:
Love that trailie oldbikenut .. can we have another pic ?
I don't want to invade to much on the thread, so here is another example of the tank(opposite side)Thanks xs1961, I really do enjoy this bike.

cbussler

PostPosted: March 18, 2009, 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

I'll agree with the others in saying that RT1 looks very nice. Looks like something you'd see in a Yamaha advertisement! I had a '74 TY250 when I used to compete in observed trials. Can't believe I sold it for $800. Hold on to that puppy!

Anyway, thanks for your input. That information is very helpful regarding how I'll go about painting the tank. I think I'll keep an eye on eBay for a tank, and perhaps ask around here.

I wonder how much different the stripes are on the '70 and '71s. They look pretty close to the '72.

In any case, hopefully I can get oa tank, take measurements, and make a template.

I'll keep ya posted!

-Carl
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: March 18, 2009, 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

You would think with all the XS'ers around the world someone would have made a stencil or template.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
gs1327
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 18, 2009, 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

Oldbikenut- yes, Just sat there with a pencil and paper until I liked what I saw.

PostPosted: March 18, 2009, 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

Carl, the 70 and 71 are the same except for color but the 72 is a different, one year only, layout. We have members here with 72s, I'm sure someone can take some pics for you.
oldbikenut

PostPosted: March 18, 2009, 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

Thanks all for the kind comments on my RT1! Someday I'll need to share a little of the bikes history with everyone, it's actually pretty interesting. One thing I will say is my bike is a 71 and it had not ran since 72, and yes the paint on the tank and oil tank are original.

cbussler I would think if you can find another tank even in poor condition as long as it has the original paint, use that as an example. I would think it would be really hard to stencil(but thats me Confused ).
JeffM

PostPosted: March 19, 2009, 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

Not 100% sure that this is not a repaint... the red looks different than other photos, and the bottom of the tank is red. I was told it was original paint. Another strange detail, not seen in the photo is chrome petcocks. It seems to be sprayed red over white, and like Tacoswild says the white is really pearly and warm.

The pinstripes are 1/4 inch wide. They follow the 'fold' line along the top and you can see in this photo how the forward edge relates to the shape of the tank.
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 19, 2009, 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

Here are some photos, the first 2 i picked up on the net...3 and 4 belong to a club member a few ks away, (1600. In Brisbane Laughing ).................wouldn't be to hard to get different photo angles and then measure the colors...........divide up into squares of 10 then transfer the points onto your tank, that has also been divided into the same amount of squares........wouldn't be to hard to get it real close to original Shocked Laughing
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 19, 2009, 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

XS2, 4 & 5 photos Smile .......
Photo Gallery
cbussler

PostPosted: March 20, 2009, 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

Thanks for all your posts. I think I have enough to go ahead. I'm gonna paint the tank white, mask, then shoot the Brilliant Red. I'll need a couple of weeks to get this done. Right now, tank is stripped and sanded, but I have the other pieces to prep and a crack in my side cover to weld. I'll post pics when its finished.

-Carl
Photo Gallery
cbussler

PostPosted: June 10, 2009, 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

Ok, my father finished painting the tank, headlight bucket, side covers and the upper fork covers that hold the headlight. Only have a photo of the tank without the badges or gas cap. Will post photos of everything as soon as I get my hands on the stuff.

I think it looks pretty close to the original. Thanks for all the photos guys. It helped him greatly in getting this done.
Photo Gallery
ayrhen

PostPosted: June 10, 2009, 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

That looks awesome....does he want to do another? Smile
JeffM

PostPosted: June 10, 2009, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 XS2 Decals

Wow. Thanks for sharing that, gives us inspiration... nothing beats that gleam of fresh paint. Looking forward to seeing a pic of it on the bike.

It is so cool that it was painted by your dad, things like that are priceless. Bet you'll be taking him for a cold one on Father's day.

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2