650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Wheels, Brakes and Controls > > MAG WHEEL SWAP

MAG WHEEL SWAP
    Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls
bigj8550

PostPosted: July 21, 2006, 11:58 am    Post subject: MAG WHEEL SWAP

Hello all
I bought a set of wheels for my street tracker project. They were listed as xs400rj seca wheels but I think now that I have them that they are Xj400 Seca wheels not sure. Here is a list of the issues I am running into. Both frt and rear axles are smaller, not a big deal I can swap out bearings and sleeves and make that work. Second is brakes are smaller. This is my problem! Crying or Very sad I am not sure even if dual frt disc with these smaller disc will stop my bike. The rotor bolt pattern is quite a bit bigger in diamater than the xs650 So xs650 will not bolt up. Any body know of larger rotors that will fit these wheels???

79_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.69 KB
 Viewed:  329 Time(s)

79_1.jpg

Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 21, 2006, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: MAG WHEEL SWAP

I heard the European factory dual disc setup for the 650 used a smaller rotor. The large rotor dual disc setup was for the 750/850 and 1100. Can someone verify this? I would think the smaller dual would still be more powerful than a single large. You could contact Mike Morse of Vintage Brake and get the definitive answer, maybe a compound change for the pads.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 21, 2006, 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: MAG WHEEL SWAP

As the caliper mounting position changed over the years, the year of the forks determines the rotor size. 650XSs to 76 used the small rotors. 77 and up used the large. The rotors on the 1100 I can't seem to pin down. There seems to be no method to Yamaha's madness!
Photo Gallery
bigj8550

PostPosted: July 24, 2006, 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: MAG WHEEL SWAP

I will check both of those out thanks I will update on progress keep the ideas coming!!!!!
Photo Gallery
bigj8550

PostPosted: August 2, 2006, 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: MAG WHEEL SWAP

OK update on progress. No progress unforunatly! I cannot confirm what is different on the early modle xs's weather it is the forks or the calipers, and brackets. I prefer to swap just the calipers and brackets. But for right now I am relacing and truing my stock 64 spoke wheel So I can right it for the summer and get back to the major stuff in the winter.

EDIT ps I have read a couple of websites on how to respoke a wheel but does anybody have any tips or tricks on these 64 spokers? Rolling Eyes
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: August 7, 2006, 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: MAG WHEEL SWAP

Arrow

Last edited by 5twins on September 10, 2009, 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
5twins

PostPosted: August 7, 2006, 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: MAG WHEEL SWAP

Arrow

bigj8550

PostPosted: August 8, 2006, 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: MAG WHEEL SWAP

OK tried spoking the wheel my biggest obstical is my outer rim must be really out of round without the spokes because I can spoke on half the rim when I get around to the other half then all the spokes seem a bit to short to start the nipple on the spokes. And that is with the other side just barely started! Sad I have got a couple more ideas to try. I am going to try doing a pair at a time per side. Put in one pair then go exactly oposite of that pair and do a pair on the other side see if that works for me I will post updates.
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: August 8, 2006, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: MAG WHEEL SWAP

Arrow

JoshmuthaF

PostPosted: August 8, 2006, 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: MAG WHEEL SWAP

My 81xs has the ugly MAGS and i want to swap over to spoked wheels. Does anybody know of any years/models that would be a direct bolt on ? i want to run dual disc up front too. and possibly convert my rear drum to disc. Thanx for any help!
racer7x

PostPosted: August 9, 2006, 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: MAG WHEEL SWAP

Hey Joshmutha- Funny thing, I want to get rid of my ugly spokes and put on mags. Wanna swap? I have an 82 w/drum, should be a direct flip flop?
Photo Gallery
bigj8550

PostPosted: August 9, 2006, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: MAG WHEEL SWAP

5twins yes that is what I am doing now I have put all the lower inside spokes in the rim now I am working on the upper inside spokes. As for the 64 spoke being different from a 64 spoke. Yes it is Shocked It is more of a pain in the a#@@#$%$ Confused But I will get it and when I do I might just take some pics an post a how to. That is what we need on this site a how to room so newbies have some instructions on how to do things!!!!! Very Happy
Photo Gallery
JoshmuthaF

PostPosted: August 9, 2006, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: MAG WHEEL SWAP

racer7x, sounds good ... I sent you a PM..
5twins

PostPosted: August 9, 2006, 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: MAG WHEEL SWAP

Arrow

Last edited by 5twins on September 10, 2009, 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigj8550

PostPosted: August 10, 2006, 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: MAG WHEEL SWAP

Ya I think I got it. It was a pain in the butt. It was my own fault though. I made a stupid mistake and I know better but I did it anyway. From mikes xs the spokes are banded in four groups for the 64 spoke wheel. Every thing I found posted on three sites said there are only two types of spokes insides and outsides and both are the same length. Not true on the 64 spokers. They are banded in four groups for a reason. O/S shorts O/S longs I/S shorts and I/S longs. After figuring out that little tidbit of info it went pretty smooth. I am going to try to true it tonight if my wife will let me work on it. She is getting a little frustrated at how much I am working on the bike. My only saving grace is "but honey just think about how much money we will save on gas!" Very Happy
Photo Gallery
bigj8550

PostPosted: August 16, 2006, 1:08 pm    Post subject: HEY 5TWINS

I got back to working on it this Monday evening I have spent the last two evenings truing the wheel. Working slowly and making small adjustments here and there I have gotten my wheel down from .290 side to side play to .036 You really got yours down to .005?!?! Shocked WOW I still have more adjustments to make then. The spoke nipples are getting pretty tight on that one side and I am afraid to loosen the other side to much more. After you got your side longitudinal run out to .005 did you go back and recheck your latiudinal run out ? Did you recheck after mounting the tire and make adjustments if needed (on longitudinal run out that is)? Thanks for your help and experience on this 5twins. I am good with the engine and electrical but still learning on a lot of it. Laughing
Photo Gallery
bigj8550

PostPosted: September 28, 2006, 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: MAG WHEEL SWAP

OK final update forgot about the mag wheels they are getting sold or put up in the garage. Re spoked my original wheel got it down to .015 took it to the Yamaha dealership to make sure everything was OK. They told me the truing was fine but they had to put weights on the wheel to balance the tire. So it is done!!! Very Happy It was a big learning experience Very Happy
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: September 28, 2006, 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: MAG WHEEL SWAP

Arrow

Last edited by 5twins on September 10, 2009, 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
springer03

PostPosted: December 29, 2006, 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: MAG WHEEL SWAP

bigj8550
Sent you a PM.

PostPosted: December 29, 2006, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: MAG WHEEL SWAP

springer03
sent you a pm