650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Clutch won't disengage fully

Clutch won't disengage fully
    Forum Index -> Drive
Landmonster

PostPosted: March 10, 2009, 9:27 pm    Post subject: Clutch won't disengage fully

Hi all, this forum has been damned useful to me in the past so I thought I'd join and ask something that has me frustrated to the point of demonstrative violence.

So long story short, I shifted badly once and managed to shatter my outer clutch pushrod (cable side) as well as the clutch pushscrew/wormgear.
(still managed to get it home without a clutch though. note: this is possible but things get tricky at red lights.) So since then I have replaced every clutch related part I can think of, plates, pushscrew/wormgear, outer pushrod, springs, cable and clutch needle bearing, number of rods and balls are correct, all parts are new from mike's, and yet...

No matter what I try the clutch will still not disengage fully, stalls out when dropped into first (def not the safety switch, got rid of that foolishness a long time ago) I've tried adjusting it correctly (screw in to touch, back off 1/4 etc..) taking up the slack at the handle and still no joy, even tried screwing in the adjuster screw a ridiculous amount just to see if the clutch would EVER fully disengage and still it won't.

Cable has been lubed and moves freely, though it's a touch shorter than the one I had, had to re-route it a little.

Pushscrew/Wormgear is greased and in what I have to assume is the only position possible, no other position works.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Anyone have any ideas on something internal that may have been damaged when the outer pushrod shattered? No other unusual behavior to report, runs like a top otherwise, even after a neglected winter... reliable as the sunrise.

I know somebody somewhere must have had a similar issue?... one would hope.
Please suggest anything you think might help, I'm actually on the verge of taking it to an actual mechanic for diagnosis, and I've never done that before - it's against my beliefs.

Oh '84 Heritage Special by the way. Mostly stock standard.... for now Smile
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 10, 2009, 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch won't disengage fully

Did you aline the pressure plate and inner hub correctly? It must be alined that way or clutch will not operate properly.

clutchindexset.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.02 KB
 Viewed:  140 Time(s)

clutchindexset.jpg

Photo Gallery
Landmonster

PostPosted: March 10, 2009, 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch won't disengage fully

I did line up the two marks in the picture you provided, but what about a mark on the clutch basket, should that line up too? does it make a difference? everything looks symmetrical to me
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 10, 2009, 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch won't disengage fully

No, there is no alinement required for the clutch basket.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 10, 2009, 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch won't disengage fully

when you have the clutch cover off, operate the lever and see how far the pressure plate is moving out and see if the basket turns free when it is disengaged
Landmonster

PostPosted: March 10, 2009, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch won't disengage fully

Movement of the pressure plate is about 5mm, never saw the amount of movement with the original equipment so nothing to compare it to, surely mike's pushscrew couldn't be that far wrong? haven't heard any complaints about them... don't believe I tried moving the basket with the clutch disengaged, What would it mean if it didn't move?
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 10, 2009, 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch won't disengage fully

the hub or the basket needs to move when the clutch is disengaged that's how it's supposed to work, if it doesn't, there is a problem... one other thing did you soak the fiber plates in oil before you installed them?
Landmonster

PostPosted: March 11, 2009, 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch won't disengage fully

Yep soaked em up good, they've been on the bike before this problem started so can't be the cause. If the basket won't turn with the clutch pulled in what could that mean? could there be an internal problem?
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 12, 2009, 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch won't disengage fully

Your basket looks in good shape from what I can see. Is there any grooves in the fingers where the clutch plate tabs run? If there is you can very lightly file them out. These grooves can make the clutch plates hang up & not disengage properly. Take only the minimum when filing or when you get it running, it will clunk with to much clearance!

Also the left side engine cover needs to be done up properly otherwise the cover pushes out instead of the clutch!

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 12, 2009, 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch won't disengage fully

check the bearing and spacers under the hub and basket

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1