650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
    Forum Index -> Electrical
HndaTch627

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 7:11 am    Post subject: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

Just curious if anyone has tried anything along these lines other then just replacing the factory bulbs with the LED units. It seems like this bike could really benefit from modern day lighting. I am planning an H4 upgrade for the front headlamp so I'd really like to cut down the current draw from the rear tail light/brake light.

Any input is welcome.

Jeremy
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

you'll have to disable the light checker or run the LEDs with resisters (don't gain much if you do that) because the light checker won't see the low current draw of the LEDs (thinks it's a blown bulb) the headlight isn't to hard of a swap, I used one of these 7" Off-road H-4 Headlight, 60/55-Watt ZX139303U from www.jcwhitney.com/weba...ogId=10101
penn71911

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

I run an LED tail light, I removed the whole original assembly and mounted this up. It was like $20 at the auto parts store... fits perfect (after drilling two little holes)... saves 1 or 2 amps too. Bright as hell.. especially at night... it'll leave spots in your vision Very Happy

Don't waste your money on putting LED bulbs in the original assembly, you can't hardly see them.

taillight1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.81 KB
 Viewed:  364 Time(s)

taillight1.jpg

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

penn71911

Which auto supply store? Part number? Is it the "Blazer" #563BR?

Saving one or two amps is important to keep the battery up during those long stops at the light.

Last edited by pamcopete on March 3, 2009, 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
batman911

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

Hey penn71911 does it get brighter when you hit the brakes or did you have to add a brake light as well?
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

penn71911;
I've been looking for a good LED tail/brake light. Please give more details. I assume its both tail and brake? What is the width and height of the base plate?

I'm always looking for ways to save amps, to help that old alternator keeps its cool.
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

A man as electricly minded as yourself RG, shouldn't have much trouble making his own set up inside a original light!

www.webbikeworld.com/r2/led/led.htm

www.bikerhiway.com/led...4_165.html

Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

yamaman;
Yeah, I love to play with the electrics. I've seen those links you mentioned. I don't think the stock light on my 78SE would be easy to re-design for LEDs. I want a really bright tail light for safety. I'm looking for a simple bolt on that is bright and not to expensive.
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

Did you see the bright/dim splitter on the biker hwy site? Looks like it would work with any LED?????
gantzcb
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

What is involved in disabling the light checker? I'd like to go to a tombstone LED tail. A certain inexpesive LED bulb I just purchased can only qualify as "cute", or OK for show. I do not want to depend on it for someone to see me.
Thanks,
Clyde

HndaTch627

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

penn71911 wrote:
I run an LED tail light, I removed the whole original assembly and mounted this up. It was like $20 at the auto parts store... fits perfect (after drilling two little holes)... saves 1 or 2 amps too. Bright as hell.. especially at night... it'll leave spots in your vision Very Happy

Don't waste your money on putting LED bulbs in the original assembly, you can't hardly see them.
Got any more info on that and what you did to disable the light checker?

y true concern started after seeing just how quickly the battery voltage drops with the bike idling at low speed, with the H4 swap i think a co-worker and I are going to split an HID Kit so that'll drop the load even lower.

I searched but it seemed as though no one had really attempted this yet. While we are on the subject of LED's has anyone used them for the turn signals? It turns out one of my turn signals is corroded beyond repair and I can get LED replacement marker lights in a full set for the price on one or 2 OEM turn signals.

Jeremy
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

Well, I found one....Optronics model STL-78RK at Advance Auto for $25. Installed it on my '81/H. Looks great...works great. It has a seperate lead for the tail light and brake light. Meets the requirements of SAE/DOT/MVSS/CMVSS, so it's legal too.

Thanks for the tip, penn71911

Edit: Corrected AutoZone to read Advance Auto.

Last edited by pamcopete on March 3, 2009, 11:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

Pete can you give us a picture?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

Here is a PIC. I have an "Old Mans" grocery getter rack and back rest, so this is the only shot that shows it.

It is mounted with two of the four mounting holes. There is even a hole there already for the bottom screw, so you just have to drill one hole. I will probably put a dummy screw in the other two holes.

Here is a view of the wiring:

I cut the plug off of the stock tail light. The wiring is:

White to ground (black) on bike
Red to Brake light (yellow) on bike
Black to tail light (Blue) on bike

And...thanke again to penn71911 for this really great idea.

I haven't measured the current yet, but I have a digital voltmeter on the bike and it would drop .5 a volt or more when the brake light came on. Now, it doesn't even move, so that's what I was looking for. A reduction in load when stopped at a light. The reduced current from the tail light should also mean more voltage when starting.

The fact that it is DOT approved is a real plus because the requirements for that approval are really strict, including vibration testing and weather proofing. Also, if you get rear ended, your insurance company and the cops will be happy that your tail light is DOT approved.

Last edited by pamcopete on March 3, 2009, 7:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

what did you do for the license plate lamp? (white light required)
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

jayel

Well, I have an '81/H Special that has a seperate licence plate holder and lamp.

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

Hey fellas... wow! lol... Sorry, I just got home from work... Thanks Pamcopete, that is the one. I got mine at Advance Auto Parts.

The 4 center leds are on as the normal tail light, when you hit the brakes ALL the LEDs light up BRIGHT.

As far as a light-checker... if you mean that stupid box under the seat by the battery that turns on the "headlight's out dummy" light... well that's long since gone and bypassed Wink ... I hate useless stuff...

I also have a special, so I have the seperate license light.

And You are all welcome Very Happy I would have gave the heads up sooner but I didn't think about it till this thread started.

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

penn71911 or pamcopete, In daylight with the sun behind you is the brakelight visable? A friend had done this conversion (I don't remember the brand) summer before last but in the daylight with the sun on the lens the brakelight wasn't very noticable.

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

It's actually much brighter than the original assembly and bulbs. I tried those LED 'bulbs' before doing this conversion and THOSE you couldn't even see... at night they weren't as bright as the standard bulbs and during the day with the light on the lense you couldn't even tell they were on.

This particular LED light assembly is the kind you see on box trucks and tractor trailers, it's DOT, so it's plenty bright.

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

Very nice setup. Now, what can I do on my 77 to get an LED setup in my tail lamps.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

penn71911,
Thanks.

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

whoa.... really guys... i've been running this setup for like 8 months and for me not to think to post it ranks up ther with 'Waynes world' "we're not worthy, we're not worthy"

You should really be thanking HndaTch627 for starting the thread... I was just trying to keep my bulbs from blowing and save a few amps.

I'm actually sorry to to all... for not thinking to post it sooner... makes me feel kinda self centered for not sharing! I hope it helps ya'll...

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

HndaTch627 wrote:
While we are on the subject of LED's has anyone used them for the turn signals? It turns out one of my turn signals is corroded beyond repair and I can get LED replacement marker lights in a full set for the price on one or 2 OEM turn signals.

Jeremy

The only drama with the LED turn signals, is you need to run the special flasher can as the standard one wont flash with the too low current draw, like this:

db.hella.com.au/cgi-bi...maint=2983

HndaTch627

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running an LED Tail Light/Brake light assembly?

yamaman wrote:
HndaTch627 wrote:
While we are on the subject of LED's has anyone used them for the turn signals? It turns out one of my turn signals is corroded beyond repair and I can get LED replacement marker lights in a full set for the price on one or 2 OEM turn signals.

Jeremy

The only drama with the LED turn signals, is you need to run the special flasher can as the standard one wont flash with the too low current draw, like this:

db.hella.com.au/cgi-bi...maint=2983
i thought about that last night, any gm 2-prong electronic flasher should work since they are a relay with a built in timer rather then a load based circuit breaker.

Awesome info Pete & Penn, I'll have to stop by autozone tomorrow and pick one up Very Happy

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3