650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > STATOR INTERCHANGE

STATOR INTERCHANGE
    Forum Index -> Electrical
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 26, 2009, 5:05 pm    Post subject: STATOR INTERCHANGE

I have a question will the stator from a 72 work in a later engine (79) I know some things were different but I am not sure if stator was any different.

thanks guys
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 26, 2009, 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: STATOR INTERCHANGE

kylepreston

The ststor will work up to 1979. After that, the stator housing had a different brush mount and provision for the TCI pickups.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 26, 2009, 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: STATOR INTERCHANGE

cool had an inkling it was the same but I just got a used one and have not had a chance to take out my old bad one yet.

cheers
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 26, 2009, 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: STATOR INTERCHANGE

Stators were the same I think......had a few from the early ones and later ones with the pickup coils in front of me to study and measure.......older ones can be used on the later ones with a bit of measuring to place the pickup coils in the correct position............not sure about the brush mount though....surely I will be corrected (never saw any difference though).......doesn't matter to me....collected many to get me to the grave +...still on the first (new rebuilt with good insulation) at 68 thou since I opened the stator cavity 12 years ago for some air to keep it cool ..water won't hurt anything....drove it many times in a torrent.....dirt and crap might...........

God am I glad I got rid of that 8.7-1.................. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy but I am to old to know what the hell I'm doing......going 70 before I know it......18/29 or 18/30 if you must...unless you are a flab ass who really needs a bigger bike to go from stop light to stop light fast..... Laughing .....carborize that custom sprocket on the back and be done with it............. yes/no duh........... Laughing

aybe since I have no I idea what I am doing I will go wack my bike in half and spend thousands to find out I am truly a dumd ass....think not..... Laughing Laughing Laughing sorry guys............

Pm me if I ain't dead or after you figure out what the hell is going on...... :lol:......ah screw it ...as usual I am waisting my breath.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 26, 2009, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: STATOR INTERCHANGE

John it's never a wate of breath I think I am one of the few that listen. my bike runns a lot cooler and better (once I fix my stator) thanks to you. I keep saying one of these days I am going to drag the thing down to you and have you work your magic on my ride

Cheers John

Now if I could get this stupid horn on my vespa to fit right I would be all set.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 26, 2009, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: STATOR INTERCHANGE

The more the compression the more the heat in the summer.....a good running bike should take all these problems into consideration...the more than is necessary just causes more problems........ah what the heck.....

look at the VW compression ratios from early to relevant...moved mine from 8.7-1 to 8-1 and haven't had the urge to go back with all the torture from earlier 67 thou miles......I am above these guys a bunch.....and they made something that might could last a while...

VW Beetle Compression Ratios
1954 to 1960 6.0:1
1961 to 1965 7.0:1
1966 7.3:1
1967 to 1970 7.5:1
1971 to 1972 7.5:1 / 7.3:1
1973 7.5:1
1974 7.3:1
1975 to 1977 7.3:1
Idiot xsjohn 8.0-1 Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: February 26, 2009, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: STATOR INTERCHANGE

Heck, John, I'm just waiting for the next time I have to huff mine out of the frame and then I'll be digging through yer posts.
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 26, 2009, 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: STATOR INTERCHANGE

God..........it's all there ......stock exhaust with only 7/16" hole up the end of the interior baffel.....With some good exhaust it would be a maserati.....and pulls off at 1800 and revs to 5 grand un-emcumbered.....wouldn't want the large exhaust pipe for me and loose that nice pull unclanky from 1800......ran all over the express and back roads today like a idiot with cabin fever ..18/29...love 8-1....if you guys need any help with the cam to get there I will help........only 2 degrees off for 8-1...the bitch is like a car instead of the ratty ass thing I used to ride for 65 thou.....turn the throttle off and it settles right down........Autolite 64.......BP6ES stays clean year round..........2 head gaskets bonded in between which also tightens the chain right up like stock...what a cruise...........

65mph at 3500 ...70 at 3800..... Very Happy

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1