650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > kick start hard and kicks then goes easy

kick start hard and kicks then goes easy
    Forum Index -> Engine
borjawil

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 1:04 am    Post subject: kick start hard and kicks then goes easy

So not sure why but after switching the exhaust and air filters or sometime around then when i would try to kick start my bike it would go down part way then kick back up. painful on the knee may i say. then the next time trying to kick it right after that it would go through a lot easier. almost too easy but would start. (having problems starting but could get it started) so basically first kick easy second hard third easy again and so on...any ideas?

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: kick start hard and kicks then goes easy

One stroke is compression the other is exhaust maybe...........and these are a tiny bit advanced......to change the timing.........mark the position of the pickup coil to the stator and then you have to grind the break off screws off........they are threaded into the stator and you can grab the remaining stubs with pliers and turn them out.......would need some metric screws and then you can move the pickup coil slighty counter clockwise to retard it a bit......from your original mark........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: kick start hard and kicks then goes easy

Forgive me if I'm telling you how to suck eggs, but kick starting a bike is more than just leaning on the lever!

You need to push the lever down slowly untill it gets firm, this is top dead centre (-ish on one cylinder anyway), then retract the lever to the top. Now you can kick the lever firmly to start the bike.

Johns right, timing can be an issue, but you've got to get the starting technique right first!

Like I said, I'm sorry if you know all this, but the art of kick starting is a dying one, I've even seen 2 strokes these days with electric legs..........!

borjawil

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: kick start hard and kicks then goes easy

haha thanks for the help guys. i understand what your saying for the kick start. gonna finish cleaning the carbs up and all that then see how it goes before i change the timing.

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: kick start hard and kicks then goes easy

Kinda like knowing how to kick a bike.. The use of the timing light has gone wayward due to modern systems..
I'd check it with a timing light to see if the timing is consistant and in the right place.

BigGeorge

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: kick start hard and kicks then goes easy

Kick Starting 101. This is not directed at borjawil but rather for anyone new to kick starting a motorcycle.........Get the kicker pedal up to the top where you feel alot of resistance. This is the top of your compression stroke. Dont jump on the pedal but rather stand up on the kicker pedal with your right foot and use the handlebars for balance. Your right foot is now pearched on top of the kicker pedal and you are doing a kind of balancing act. A this point some people like to kneel on the seat with their left leg. Now put some ASS into your right leg and push down hard all the way through till the pedal is straight down and your right leg is fully extended...If the bike starts let the pedal return to its former position. If not repeat the procedure untill the bike starts or you are sweating profusely, heart racing wildly and your leg says enough is enough... Anyone who has ever owned a kick only Sportster will know what I'm talking about......BG
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: kick start hard and kicks then goes easy

Yep,first street bike ,'57 sportster.Used to hope & pray the point's didn't stick or I would be flyin'.That thing kicked me off it about a 100 time's. Sold the damn thing for $500 in '72.Oh well.
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: kick start hard and kicks then goes easy

On the Model A I had you better retard the timing when hand cranking it or you wouldn't be doing much with that arm for quite a while............

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: kick start hard and kicks then goes easy

gordo wrote:
Yep,first street bike ,'57 sportster.Used to hope & pray the point's didn't stick or I would be flyin'.That thing kicked me off it about a 100 time's. Sold the damn thing for $500 in '72.Oh well.

MMMMH!!! 57 Sporty, mag ignition 12:1 comp. back when men were men and gas was real and every few had heard of hondas or yamahas

the old Harley dealer I worked for designed and built the first stroker

ridersagainstillegalal...Page2.html

borjawil

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: kick start hard and kicks then goes easy

interesting conversation haha. you guys are old. haha. just kidding thanks for all the great help on here with out you guys that bike would just sit around.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: kick start hard and kicks then goes easy

Hey John, I had one of those too, but I figured this was a bike site,so I didn't want to say about those horrable old engine crank's.Yea, they could twist your arm off!!
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: kick start hard and kicks then goes easy

Could you imagine what that would do to your arm.........if not maybe rip it off....I did it a few times but got chicken.....xsjohn
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: kick start hard and kicks then goes easy

..I even kick my 650 Panther without the de-compress lever...Secret is dont be timid,dont be afraid of kickbacks, boot it with all your body-weight on the leg thats on the lever , dont leave the other foot on the ground..'leccy starts are for girls or cripples Twisted Evil Wink
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
renloy

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: kick start hard and kicks then goes easy

Chicks dig the kickstart Smile
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: kick start hard and kicks then goes easy

Especially the chicks with the tatoo's.......... Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: kick start hard and kicks then goes easy

xsjohn wrote:
Especially the chicks with the tatoo's.......... Laughing

xsjohn

don't forget the saddlebags

tito650

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: kick start hard and kicks then goes easy

sometimes i need kicked hard in the morning to get going. Smile
Photo Gallery
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: kick start hard and kicks then goes easy

kicking these 650's requires almost zero effort. as long as it's not on a compression stroke all you need to do is step on the lever and it starts....no jumping or all your weight needed, and i only weigh 160lb's.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: kick start hard and kicks then goes easy

.Theres a bird round the corner from me,goes out with one of the National Chopper Club reps, shes covered in tatoos , she could suck-start his knuckle-head for him..A big ,big girl...
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
borjawil

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: kick start hard and kicks then goes easy

well i know how it feels to get it started but now it feels different. im still trying to get the caps off the fuel screws but once i get the carbs cleaned up ill see how it goes over. this bike is a fixer upper but nothing to bad...hopefully.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1