650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > wettnes after a ride

wettnes after a ride
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
newelly

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 6:32 pm    Post subject: wettnes after a ride

last time i rode my stock 77 D there was some wettness on the muffler after the bike was shut off and I am curious is anyone would know what is causing it and how to fix it. thanks
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

could be a lot of things. where on the bike is the leak? maybe battery vent, oil leak, gas leak, condensation if bike not fully warmed up, pissed yourself, or a combination.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
newelly

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

the wetness is definatly not from pissing myself DICK!!! it is around the tip of the muffler after a ride, the abttery is new, the leak is after a ride... I guess you are not one of the richards of the world unless you are a richard cranium
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

Dang......I was gonna recommend Depends......good thing I didn't...... Laughing

Check the plugs after a ride.........might see something there.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
newelly

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

thanks john... i appreciate the fact that you didn't mention the depends... I am 26yo for christs sake... I am young...I have always loved the XS and that is why I am asking, I want this one to stay stock and I am in the process of planning a bobber build with a bratstyle mono-shock...BTW it is a little cold to to the ride thing here in north central IA right now...
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

Take some very fine steel wool on the end of a q-tip and turn it in the float needle seat say 20 revs...........this should smooth the hole in the seat and stop the leak.....check the point on the needle to see if it is marked......
Later models used a viton tipped needle to relieve this problem.....If mine I would figure out how to use the viton tipped needle.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

newelly wrote:
thanks john... BTW it is a little cold to to the ride thing here in north central IA right now...

hey another Iowa boy, we're slowly taking over.... BWAH HA HA HA

All Your XS Technology (such as it is) Belongs To Us ... Resistance is Futile

650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

newelly, your post relating to your carb problem could be related to your exhaust problem. .......is the wet exhaust on the same side as your leaking carb............. is the bike missing at all or hard to start?...........was the bike left to idle for a while after the ride?.............the carbs are not hard to work on, disassemble one at a time and take photos, if it helps, be very careful if the jets are a bit stuck, use some CRC or WD40 and let them soak..............Check your floats for holes before resetting the levels..........
Photo Gallery
newelly

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

the wet echaust if i remember correctly is on the other side... it does seem to have some top end trouble, when trying to maintain speed up a hill i cannot, even at full throttle the bike slows down, that might be related as well... just starting to remember the pieces of the puzzle from the last few times i rode in September... kind of sad really
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

Wouldn't run it that way......can easily wash that cylinder.....rings will be touching the cylinder because of the extra gas....washes off the super thin coat of oil.........not good........

Remove the carbs and find the problem.......

Same warning to the guys with the huge main jets.......and it doesn't have to be all that too big to wash it.....just may take a little longer.........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

Here are a couple of sites to help with the carbs, www.xs650.org.au/XS-TX650 Carburetor Evolution.htm Check to make sure you are not to far over jetted. www.biker.net/650parts_index.html find your bike then click onto the relevant parts guide then click onto carburetor on the left ..........the 650 Garage guide is excellent, so join up
Photo Gallery
killer

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

What do the plugs look like?

1979 XS650 2F0
newelly

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

normal ware on the plugs, not too bad... putting new plugs in this weekend
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

newelly, don't be to quick to ride the bike till you have dissmantled the carbs, checked jets float and levels, wouldn't do any harm to put a new carby kit in as well.....................Curb that excitement boy Laughing you could do more damage for the sake of a thrill, that will come.
Photo Gallery
killer

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

Yup, just strip them down making sure to screw the adjusters in counting the turns till they stop. That way you have a reference point as to where they were before you started. Watch the sync setting as well. I think I rebuilt mine without disturbing that adjustment at all.

1979 XS650 2F0
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

newelly wrote:
when trying to maintain speed up a hill i cannot, even at full throttle the bike slows down........ normal wear on the plugs, not too bad... putting new plugs in this weekend

after you get it started again pull one plug wire off (tingle warning) then the other after putting the first one back on, check to make sure it's running on both cylinders

kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

f*** You. Hope your bike blows up.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

If you can't say anything nice..... Rolling Eyes
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

No, little punk ass deserves a f*** you.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

No need for the f**k you. If you don't use the similes how will some one know if you are being a smart arse or making a joke.......with a lack of a smilie i to thought your comment was in poor taste
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

Used to have a girl friend that wet her pants after a swift ride on the back of my geared up ZR1.......she was young then too......slowed down and the problem went away........ Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

650skull wrote:
No need for the f**k you. If you don't use the similes how will some one know if you are being a smart arse or making a joke.......with a lack of a smilie i to thought your comment was in poor taste

How about I call you a dick or dick head? You like that much? My comment was obviously in jest, pointing out how obtuse his original note was and requesting more information. My bike is wet on the muffler after I ride is not the most clearly written or intelligent post I've ever seen. His reply was unwarranted and deserved the FU. Razz Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised Laughing Cool Confused Shocked Mad Razz Embarassed Crying or Very sad Wink Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Exclamation Question Idea Arrow

Is that better?

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

It's just some website on the internet. nothing written here could possibly be worth getting emotional about.
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: wettnes after a ride

It's over. No more help from me and I do hope his bike detonates. Then maybe he'll buy the Honda crotch rocket he craves.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2