650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > xs650 bobber in the making

xs650 bobber in the making
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
interex87

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 3:20 am    Post subject: xs650 bobber in the making

this is my bobber its in the making right now looking over the wires and its getting a new charging rotor.

I want to put some xs1100 brakes on the front now my question is can i use any year on it or not.

my bike has a 73 motor but the title is for an 83 frame.
thanks for the help
interex87

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

what no one knows?
calicruiser

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

no idea on the brakes but cool bike!!!!
interex87

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

thanks a lot more to do to it and a crazy paint job
interex87

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

i dont know if im going to keep the back fender
and i put a volt gauge in the electrical box

new pics will come soon
sure

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

did you change the tank?
I like the split ones different and that is good in my book..
interex87

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

yeah its got a sportster thank on it right now a buddy of my does some crazy art work and its going to go good on the new tank

...........so know one knows about the brakes for
interex87

PostPosted: February 20, 2009, 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

well i got some more time today and put some stuff on the bike i have been wanting to ..........and still waiting for my new charging rotor

volt gauge

shock boots

and im working on the exhaust

like i said waiting on a new rotor and a pamco ign is in the mail.
interex87

PostPosted: February 24, 2009, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

ok guys some new stuff came in today ............my pamco ignition kit!!!!!!
and it looks great check it out.

now for the bad news my rotor is still out for the rebuild and im not going to put the pamco in till the bike is running with the new rotor.......i dont want if any thing was to happen to have to trouble shoot so many things all at ones.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: February 25, 2009, 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

Looks like Santa came to your house too!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
interex87

PostPosted: February 25, 2009, 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

yeah i cant wait to put it on. My bikes has been down becouse of the rotor for about 2 weeks
interex87

PostPosted: March 18, 2009, 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

ok guys one more problem so i put the pamco on the bike and got my rotor in the mail today put it on the bike it fired up for 15 to 20 seconds at a time now it does not fire at all.......what do i need to do........the coil has power going to it but no spark.
please help
battery is new and charged
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 18, 2009, 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

You should remove the spark plugs and make sure they're not fouled. Are you using fresh gas?

You said there is no spark. Be careful checking spark. The dual output coil should not be operated without having both spark plug leads connected to a grounded sparkplug. This could damage the coil.

You may be suffering from low voltage to the ignition. This could be caused by dirty corroded contacts of the ignition switch or the kill switch. The main fuse, or ignition fuse, if you have one may also have high resistance. Try putting a voltmeter on the positive side of the ignition coil ( the side not connected to the pamco ignition) and read the voltage while trying to start the motor.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 18, 2009, 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

RG show that picture of your grounded spark plug tool again.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 18, 2009, 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

At pumps request..............my spark tester.

spark tester.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.89 KB
 Viewed:  414 Time(s)

spark tester.jpg

Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 18, 2009, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

Thanks Brother! I wanted to be reminded myself as I just installed my pamco.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
interex87

PostPosted: March 18, 2009, 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

no plugs are new bike runes great now that i have the stock points back on new gas new ignition and all new wires on the bike the what i had it set up is tell me if its right

wire from ignition with red wire from pamco to +side of coil
green wire from pamco to - side of coil
black wire from pamco used as grownd

i think im going to have to send it to pamco pete to see whats going on
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 19, 2009, 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

interex87 wrote:
what i had it set up is tell me if its right

wire from ignition with red wire from pamco to +side of coil
green wire from pamco to - side of coil
black wire from pamco used as ground

The way I have set it up was the pamco red went to the red/white coming from power - double female bullet connector, with the red from the pamco plate plugged into that. Made another red wire that plugged into the OTHER side of the double female connector with a male end, then the other end of that plugged into the coil. Is that what you're saying?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 19, 2009, 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

interex87

Well, I'm sorry that you are having a problem. The system has a one year warranty, so it will be replaced or repaired if there is something wrong with it, but just try this test first:

1. Remove the PAMCO rotor.
2. Remove the locating pin from the advance rod.
3. Install the rotor back on the rod without the locating pin.
4. Do not tighten the retaining nut for the rotor. Leave it loose.
5.Connect a spare spark plug to one of the plug wires. Ground the spark plug by placing it on the fins of the cylinder or grounding it RG's way.
6. Turn on the ignition and kill switch.
7. Spin the rotor countercolckwise by hand, which should produce a spark from the spark plug.

This test allows you to check for spark without turning the engine over and running the battery down.

If this test fails to produce a spark, then PM me for return instructions.

PostPosted: March 19, 2009, 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

well i worked with pete and he has a new pamco kit on the way to my house right now.
great guy if any of you guys are thinking of getting the kit do so he is very nice guy.

but the bike is now running great i have put about 500 miles on it so far.....using points right now but i cant wait to get the new pamco kit on it i will try to get some video of it later.
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 19, 2009, 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

Well, I talked to interex87 today and had him measure the resistance of the coil. The secondary read 23K Ohms, which is the total of the coil (13K) and the caps (5 K each).

However, when he measured the resistance of the primary of the coil, it read 0.6 Ohms, which is basically a dead short. So, the shorted primary of the coil drew too much current through the transistor of the PAMCO and fried the transistor.

A new PAMCO plate and coil are on their way.

PostPosted: March 20, 2009, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

Good on ya, Pete - it's great to see an honest and service oriented person. If I decide to leave the points behind (trying to stay all stock here, afterall..), I'm calling you first.
'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
interex87

PostPosted: March 20, 2009, 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

one more question i have 38 carbs my air fuel screw is all most all closed and i still have some what black plugs any thing im over looking?

they are about half a turn open right now
interex87

PostPosted: March 20, 2009, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: xs650 bobber in the making

one more thing how hot do the motors get when riding? like can you put ur hand on them cuz my is hot like 1 or 2 seconds and my hand burns
i remember riding other bikes holding the motor to keep my hands warm on cold nights

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2