650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Guidance for a newbie?

Guidance for a newbie?
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
mrk_d

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 11:07 pm    Post subject: Guidance for a newbie?

Alright, first of all, sorry in advance for what will most likely be a long and drawn-out series of questions regarding the feasibility of a café racer project for me.

Now that that's out of the way, let me explain my situation. Basically, I'm a kid that wants a cafe racer. I have motorcycle experience (CR-80 Expert was the last bike I owned) and I am a mechanic at a bicycle shop so I have some understanding of basic mechanics to say the least, but I am pretty much useless when it comes to motorcycles.

I have been lazily searching Craigslist lately for any sort of project bike that I could learn about motorcycles with and slowly build a cool, clean bike for myself with. I recently came across a 1975 XS650 that's really clean for $1600. While I think the price is on the higher side, I rode it today and it's a very nice stocker. No mods, even has the reflectors on the side of the frame still. I hesitate to buy a bike that's totally clapped-out, since I am not looking to get myself into a mess as far as really labor- and knowledge-intensive work goes (engine, tranny, etc.) While I want to learn about bikes, I don't want to be forced into doing a total overhaul straight away. I would prefer something that I can slowly get my feet wet with.

Basically, I'm wondering if the XS650 would provide me with the opportunity to, for not much money, build a bike that will have the aesthetic I'm looking for and be easy enough to work on without spending tons and tons of money, and if the particular bike I'm looking at would be a good starting place. Also, how much would I realistically be looking at time/money wise to get a pretty neat bike?

I have included a picture of the bike I'm looking at (black) and some inspiration as far as "look" that I would ideally hope to achieve someday.

Thanks!

xs650.jpg
 Description:
Ideal look.
 Filesize:  63.39 KB
 Viewed:  1243 Time(s)

xs650.jpg

stock.jpg
 Description:
Bike I'm looking at.
 Filesize:  10.99 KB
 Viewed:  1174 Time(s)

stock.jpg

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Guidance for a newbie?

the XS650 is stone ax simple mechanically but the carbs can be a little tricky and the electrics aren't the best but since that bike is already running it has a least been taken care of, check the charging system and if that's ok and it doesn't miss and backfire from dirty carbs you may have a winner, there is a good supply of parts and you really wouldn't need that much to do the mods you want to do
mrk_d

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Guidance for a newbie?

Forgot to mention that it does lightly backfire when the RPM's aren't up, and the battery is dead (just needs a new battery though, the electrical system is perfect, all the indicators work, etc.) Sounds like I could maybe talk him down based on those 2 facts, especially since I will likely remove the starter and other unnecessary electronics.

Is backfiring always a carb problem, or could it be indicative of bigger issues?
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Guidance for a newbie?

the best advice is to get a service manual and get to know the bike first before you do to much, you can change the bars and seat, gastank, fenders but if you start by pulling off the air filters and mufflers you'll screw up the carb jetting and end up wondering why it doesn't run right and have a real mess to try to figure out, like I say get to know the bike and then you can make intelligent decisions about where you want to go with the bike, the backfiring could be low battery but cleaning the carbs wouldn't hurt a bit and it's easy enough to do if you do your homework ie; get, read, and understand the service manual
Nocoast

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Guidance for a newbie?

My buddy just bought a 75 here in CHicago for 1500. That seems about right for urban areas.

The backfiring could be timing, since its at higher rpms. Or the points need to be adjusted.

I would go for it, since like you say, it isn't clapped out. Just fix and add mods as you go and ride the hell out of it.
Nocoast

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Guidance for a newbie?

jayel wrote:
the best advice is to get a service manual and get to know the bike first before you do to much, you can change the bars and seat, gastank, fenders but if you start by pulling off the air filters and mufflers you'll screw up the carb jetting and end up wondering why it doesn't run right and have a real mess to try to figure out, like I say get to know the bike and then you can make intelligent decisions about where you want to go with the bike, the backfiring could be low battery but cleaning the carbs wouldn't hurt a bit and it's easy enough to do if you do your homework ie; get, read, and understand the service manual

+1 Manuals are a bike riders bible.
mrk_d

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Guidance for a newbie?

Alright well sounds like I should see what I can get the guy down to without lowballing too much (it's been sitting on Craigslist for about a month, he's relisted it lower now since the last time).

@Nocoast: As far as the backfiring, it's at LOW RPM, not high. When it gets running at a comfortable RPM range it's fine, it's during deceleration at low RPM's when it's worst.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Guidance for a newbie?

good luck with it then, there is a few things you will want to check after you get it, timing, timing advance, ect. being a 75 it should have points unless it's been retrofitted with a electronic ignition plenty of good advice here and at xs650temp.proboards29.com/index.cgi and
check jean akers site at www.650central.com/

mrk_d

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Guidance for a newbie?

Awesome, thanks for all the help so far! I've got some good resources to be checking out now.

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1