650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > reducer sleeve help for a rookie

reducer sleeve help for a rookie
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
MacGregor

PostPosted: February 12, 2009, 11:16 pm    Post subject: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

OK so i just picked up a 75 xs650 and i got mikes 2-1 header and a shorty muffler. and i need to use these reducer sleeves. i have been sitting on my couch for and hour trying to figure out the proper way to use these things but i have thrown in the towel. Could someone please tell me the proper way to use these things.
sesamharold

PostPosted: February 12, 2009, 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

Why don´t you ask Mike?
Mikesxs

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

Taper Top Muffler fits directly to 2-1 without the reducer sleeve that comes with the taper tip muffler.

Mike @ Mikes XS
sesamharold

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

Thank you Mike. Guess too often you think that they are all customers, so better not think ....
Nocoast

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

I helped MacGregor try to fit his exhaust system on and we ran into 2 problems:

1- The collector pipe hits the rear brake pedal. And when the pedel is depressed it moves the whole exhaust system. The bike in question is a 75.

2- The collector pipe to which the muffler attachs is a goofy size. On Mike's site it says the O.D. of this pipe is 1.783". But he says on his site and here the the " Taper Tip" pn07-0041 and "Universal Reverse Cone Megaphone Muffler" pn07-0014 will fit, but on the site it says they fit 1 3/4" ( 1.75" ) headers.

We bought a Universal Reverse cone from JC Whitney which is the same demensions as the muffler Mike sells and we could not get it to fit. It, like the one Mike sells, fits 1 3/4" headers.

Now we didn't use the mufflers Mike sells and the site clearly states the O.D. on the 2-1 is 1.783" but because the mufflers he sells say they will fit , it is a little misleading.

It is a great quaility pipe with nice finish but the fit is lacking. With a 1.783 O.D. header, its tough to find a muffler that fits. I think the 2-1 should be revised with a TRUE 1 3/4" header. Just a buyer beware.
Nocoast

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

sesamharold wrote:
Why don´t you ask Mike?

If you don't have anything useful to add, don't add anything.

Using your logic, anytime he has a problem he should call Yamaha directly. Rolling Eyes
MacGregor

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

it just dawned on me how it works. i dont need to reduce the muffler i have to expand it over the collector pipe. the muffler is 1 3/4 OD and the collector mike sells with the 2-1 is 1.783. so i have to modify the muffler to get it to work.
tito650

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

hey guys theres no wrong questions in here, were all here to help at anytime ! Very Happy

check that grammer ! Razz

( inside joke )
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

tito650 wrote:
hey guys theres no wrong questions in here, were all here to help at anytime ! Very Happy

check that grammer ! Razz

( inside joke )
missed 2 apostrophes theres should be there's
a contraction of there is and were should be we're a contraction of we are.... other than that it was almost understandable Twisted Evil Smile

the english police

tito650

PostPosted: February 17, 2009, 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

lol thanks...... Laughing
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 17, 2009, 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

Nocoast wrote:
If you don't have anything useful to add, don't add anything. Rolling Eyes

Actualy I think that would apply even more so to your self, being your 2nd post on this site! Feel free to hang around, but keep crap comments to yourself!

Nocoast

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

yamaman wrote:
Nocoast wrote:
If you don't have anything useful to add, don't add anything. Rolling Eyes

Actualy I think that would apply even more so to your self, being your 2nd post on this site! Feel free to hang around, but keep crap comments to yourself!

I don't have anything to prove or to add here, hell I don't even have a XS. I'm just trying to help a friend out.

I just call em like I see em. Cool
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

reminds me of the old boy who had a 55 gallon barrel with a 3hp outboard motor mounted in it,
he'd fill it up full of water and throw in a couple of shovels full of cow pattys and start the motor,
he always said if you want to have fun you've got to stir some sh**

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

Nocoast wrote:

If you took those sunglasses off, you might have a bit more vision!

Nocoast

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

yamaman wrote:
Nocoast wrote:

If you took those sunglasses off, you might have a bit more vision!

As Corey Hart so eloquently put it;

"And I wear my sunglasses at night
So I can so I can
See the light that's right before my eyes"

I hope not all the threads here are this useless. A kid comes to owners with a legit problem and the only response he gets is " Talk to the manufactuer"?!?! Then I try and help others who might be interested in this exhaust and show the problems we ran into. But all you guys want to talk about is my "online manners" ??? Get real.

There has been 13 responses and not ONE useful bit of information!
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

Piss off then, obviously this sites of no use to a rude little boy as you self!

Your mate asked what to do with the reducers, Harold said asking Mike might be an idea, Mike from MikesXS said dont use the reducers! What the f*** do you want? Dickhead!

Nocoast

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

yamaman wrote:
Piss off then, obviously this sites of no use to a rude little boy as you self!

Your mate asked what to do with the reducers, Harold said asking Mike might be an idea, Mike from MikesXS said dont use the reducers! What the f*** do you want? Dickhead!

I want an intelligent response! You obviously aren't helping so why don't you "sod off"!

If you had read the posts, Mike suggests the Taper exhaust W/O the reducers. Thats all well and fine, IF HE OWNED THAT EXHAUST!

SO I want someone who has used this exhaust to chime in on there solution. Why is that so hard for you to understand, yamaman? DON"T CHIME IN IF YOU DON"T HAVE SOMETHING TO ADD!

On and mamaman, go f*** a kangaroo!
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

News Flash USA….local Chicago fire fighter succeeds in joining two pipes together…..

News Flash Australia…….Local man chases down Kangaroo on pogo stick………

News Flash Pennsylvania....local man wins spelling bee.........

News Flash Near Cologne, Germany......local man flogged for giving advice......

xsjohn........ Laughing
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 20, 2009, 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

At least I'm keeping your thread at the top of the tree! Laughing

I feel that I should apologise to yourself & everybody for my recent profanities. I shall endevour to keep my language more tasteful in the future. Neutral

I do not however apologise for bringing you to task, your vindictivness to sesamharold was entirely unwarranted! Evil or Very Mad

Kangaroo, nah to hard to catch (tasty critters however when we do). An echidna, maybe........

Good luck in your search for intelligence! Mr. Green

Nocoast

PostPosted: February 20, 2009, 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

yamaman wrote:
At least I'm keeping your thread at the top of the tree! Laughing

I feel that I should apologise to yourself & everybody for my recent profanities. I shall endevour to keep my language more tasteful in the future. Neutral

I do not however apologise for bringing you to task, your vindictivness to sesamharold was entirely unwarranted! Evil or Very Mad

Kangaroo, nah to hard to catch (tasty critters however when we do). An echidna, maybe........

Good luck in your search for intelligence! Mr. Green

I too wish this thread didn't get so out of hand. And I see we agree on the language.

As far as sesamharold's comment, we will have to disagree. I still think it was useless and he was insulting my friends intelligence. I went to bat for a friend cause thats who I am.

I'm always questing to increase my intelligence. Like most fireman, I'm a jack of many trades, master of none.
Mikesxs

PostPosted: March 11, 2009, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

Notice: New XS performance #07-0114 reverse cone megaphone with new performance baffel have arrived. These fit the New 07-0767 2-1 exhaust.
Limited quantities by Air freight ( rest coming on ocean ).
Should be listed and in shopping basket by Friday.

ALSO: following NEW XS Performance parts
New 75Kv Ignition Coils for Pamco and other Ignitions ( single & Dual type)
New 447 type Rocker Arms with Elephant foot floating adjusters
New carb spacers for Dellorto carbs ( more low end power )
Also :
Early type XS1/2 oval Tank Badges to fit "Special" model tanks
Shift Shafts

Note: These items are NOT Made in the USA so do not meet approval by Gordon /Grizld - negative comments by him to follow.
(likely before the parts are even seen ).

Mike @ Mikes XS
renloy

PostPosted: March 11, 2009, 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

Oooh now who wants to be the guinea pig and try the new 2-1 headpipes Smile
MacGregor

PostPosted: March 12, 2009, 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

i got the 2-1 just need the muffler guess i will be the guinea pig, but I still am finding little problems with my bike so it could be a while till i can give a good review. I will order it tomorrow so mike make sure you hold one for me. i will order it with my gas tank.
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 12, 2009, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: reducer sleeve help for a rookie

Hey You Guy's,,, I got the two into one fitted on my ride & the taper tip muffler fit's perfect.As far as the pipe hitting the brake pedal, all I did was run it up to temp(the engine) and used a flat pry bar between the frame and the pipe and pry'd it down (gingerly)for more clearence.I had to do that with the Ascot pipe's I had on previously. The pipe definately sound's different, but alot more power through the whole range.BTW, I had already done the carb. jet's for the Ascot's. Pipe's are not discolored(coloured for you Cannuck's & Aussie's) at all.Got about 25-30 mile's on 'em. Very Happy Very Happy :Yamaman, that's tellin' the damn FuNewGy. Oh sure Mike, you get the elephant feet now after I get the other adjuster's, naw, just kiddin' with ya bud. I like the one's I got, I got some little cap's that fit over the valve stem's so not really worried about them 'shroomin' on me.

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1