650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > What is the deal on exaust wraps?

What is the deal on exaust wraps?
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
Gmaan
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 8, 2009, 11:16 pm    Post subject: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

Seen bikes with the wrap on the pipes what is the reason for this? It looks cool.
1974 Kawasaki H1 500 triple (MY BABY)
1975 Yamaha TX 650 (just need paint)
georelle

PostPosted: February 8, 2009, 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

It looks cool is one of the reasons. The other is that it acts like a heat shield. I am considering putting them on my bike. When you think about it with the hot pipes on the up wind side of your air cooled engine it might be helpful if the pipes were not so hot.
There has been previous discussion on here about heat wrap. It basically came down to who thought it looked cool or not. Apparently some don't think it looks cool like you and I. Which for me is another reason to do it. The picture below is another reason to wrap.

exhaust wrap.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.4 KB
 Viewed:  586 Time(s)

exhaust wrap.jpg

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 9, 2009, 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

georelle wrote:
. The other is that it acts like a heat shield.. When you think about it with the hot pipes on the up wind side of your air cooled engine it might be helpful if the pipes were not so hot..

how would throwing a blanket on them keep them cool? heat wrap was/is used to keep the heat in the pipes for racing purposes, it's actually runs hotter with it on

Gmaan
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 9, 2009, 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

Oh, well, if I wrap them will a gal like that come alone to sit on my bike too?
1974 Kawasaki H1 500 triple (MY BABY)
1975 Yamaha TX 650 (just need paint)
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 9, 2009, 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

Rap.....could be like the other crap we have to listen to....and put up with ......oh god don't get me started...........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
tito650

PostPosted: February 9, 2009, 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

normaly the only reason u would use exaust wrap is to keep under your car hood heat down and focus it more under and out the back of ur car. on a bike i can c benefets more so if ur running forward controls ur not cooking ur legs just focusing the heat towrds the back of ur bike. good idea it realy deose have a useful function eather way. i realy don't see the benefits of wrapping your hole pipe . u only need to do the areas affected by heat.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 9, 2009, 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

wrap your legs, then if you switch bikes you're all set
tito650

PostPosted: February 9, 2009, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

look like a mummy ! lol Laughing
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 9, 2009, 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

They look awful wrapped..Cant beat a bit of chrome.. Rather than looking like a ships plumbing system..
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
georelle

PostPosted: February 10, 2009, 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

Jayel
Ok if you wrap them and the heat stays in the pipes it does not radiate at the front of your motor where the wind will blow it across your air cooled engine. It was used in racing to keep heat out of the engine compartment, by the same theory. It gives a bike a hotrod look for those who want that look. Some of like that look and some think the XS is more suited to be a bagger... Nothing wrong with either. It has it pros and cons.

John
If you don't like it don't wrap. If you don't want to hear about it don't read the thread.
It really is that simple.

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 10, 2009, 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

georelle wrote:
Jayel ...... It was used in racing to keep heat out of the engine compartment, by the same theory. It gives a bike a hotrod look for those who want that look. Some of like that look and some think the XS is more suited to be a bagger... Nothing wrong with either. It has it pros and cons.

I was making the point that it does not make your pipes run any cooler by wrapping them, exactlly the opposite, as far as the looks that's a personal choice as you say...... life goes on Cool

georelle

PostPosted: February 10, 2009, 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

Jayel
Ok. We agree then I was saying that it will keep your engine cooler not the pipes. I have read theories that hotter pipes will help the motor run better something about heat helping to draw the exhaust out by convection, air flowing from colder to hotter. I am not sure I buy all that. I think it does look good on the right bike. For me I think it would look good on my bobber but not the stock one I am currently rebuilding. The pipes on my bobber are blued and rusting being 33 years old. So I am trying to decide what to do, wrap them, get new, sandblast them and paint or powder coat. Since they are rusting already I don't care what the wrap will do to them. Wrapping them really isn't that cheap but it might be the least expensive route.
Ride safe.
G

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 10, 2009, 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

Most of the heat is in the cylinders.......and especially the right....ah what would I know.........started with 270 degrees now seeing 230....85 ambient.......definately more to it than wrapping the pipes...........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
georelle

PostPosted: February 10, 2009, 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

John
You are no doubt the master at getting these to run cooler. I am considering doing the oil cooler. I am not sure about the cylinder temp difference on my '76. I haven't had the time to really dig in and fine tune them. I am still not sure what I am going to do with the carbs. I might put my stock carbs on the '75 I am rebuilding and getting some sliders. But I am not convinced they are worth the money.

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 10, 2009, 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

Wish you could ride this 8-1..........what a difference........wish someone had told me 10 years ago.....all the fricken clattering is gone.....and all the stuff is there to do it....didn't cost me a cent...as a matter of fact I made 50 bucks...didn't need a cam chain....and still running 18/29...........

I wouldn't wastemy money on exotic carbs.......it's all there...just has to be lined up right...............too much fuel will wash the cylinders........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 10, 2009, 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

tito650 wrote:
normaly the only reason u would use exaust wrap is to keep under your car hood heat down and focus it more under and out the back of ur car. on a bike i can c benefets more so if ur running forward controls ur not cooking ur legs just focusing the heat towrds the back of ur bike. good idea it realy deose have a useful function eather way. i realy don't see the benefits of wrapping your hole pipe . u only need to do the areas affected by heat.

tito650 wrote:
Normally the only reason you would use exhaust wrap is to keep the heat down under your car hood and focus it more out the back of your car. On a bike i can see the benefits more if you're running forward controls, you're not cooking your legs just focusing all the heat towards the back of your bike. Good idea, it really dose have a useful function ether way. I really don't see the benefits of wrapping your whole pipe. You only need to do the areas affected by heat.

Tito650, It is very difficult and frustrating to read the English language at its best, let alone the bastardizing, bad spelling, (don't you have a spell check?), and very bad grammar.................I suggest if you want to text a message, use your mobile phone...............
Photo Gallery
tito650

PostPosted: February 10, 2009, 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

first of all i don't give a crap if i bastardize any of the enlish language! i'm sick and tired tired of people from other countrys checking my gramer! if u care that much about it then i suggest u grade all my posts and send me a report card ! second.... every body is under the wrong impression on this exhaust wrap. all it's ment to do is rederect heat ! on a car it keeps the under temp hood heat down by not letting your headers radiate heat into the engine bay thus cooling the motor down a bit. on a bike it doesn't do a darn thing except keepin u from burning your leg. think about it, the motors open to the air . it's all in the enviroment u use it in. has anybody ever thought these guys wrapping bike pipes are just covering up rusted crappy pipes ? ive got wrapping left over from my twin turbo mustang and thats just what i'm gonna use it for, to cover up a world of hurt Confused

crap i forgot my spell check. oh well i'm sure some one will go over it for me Razz
Photo Gallery
danno

PostPosted: February 11, 2009, 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

Spelle chek is sew ovurated!
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 11, 2009, 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

The fact that wrapping exhausts keeps down heat in engine bays is secondary to its intended purpsose. It is designed to increase combustion chamber scavenging, which if done correctly & on the correct part of the pipes, it does.

www.holleycarbs.com.au...Energy.htm

Perhaps you'd feel a whole lot better tito, if a fellow countryman told you that your text was difficult to comprehend? We are all from the XS650 nation here, foreigners ride CZ's, Zunndaps and Hondas. (Not that I don't appreciate them either).

sesamharold

PostPosted: February 11, 2009, 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

650skull wrote:
---
tito650 wrote:
Normally the only reason you would use exhaust wrap is to keep the heat down under your car hood and focus it more out the back of your car. On a bike i can see the benefits more if you're running forward controls, you're not cooking your legs just focusing all the heat towards the back of your bike. Good idea, it really dose have a useful function ether way. I really don't see the benefits of wrapping your whole pipe. You only need to do the areas affected by heat.
---

650skull, I am with you regarding that thoughtless writing on the internet nowadays. But also make sure that when pointing on someone with your finger that at the same time three more fingers are not pointing at yourself .... Idea

Best regards from a foreigner (although neither riding a Zündapp nor a Zunndap - whatever that may be?!)!

tito650

PostPosted: February 11, 2009, 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

whenever i go back through old posts i can't seem to remember my country men complaining about how people write, only u guys are wining. maybe everytime u guys write on hear we'll harass u about it. i read posts all the time from people in other countrys but i understand that we are from different places in the world. if u don't like my way of spelling or writing go screw i could careless. theres plenty of people from here that understand me. quit making it so difficult Evil or Very Mad oh and yea i know it increases exhust scavenging. u think under hood heat is secondary and not it's most of it's purpose! i tell u don't have a muscle car. my twin turbo mustangs engine bay heat would be insanely hot if i didn't insulate it properly and use a heat extractor. any thing runs better when kept cool. u realy think exhaust scavenging is a big deal on a stock bike? thats what most of these bikes are on here.

oh yea u guys have puddle jumpers Laughing
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 11, 2009, 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

Don't hold back mate, tell us what you really think!
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 11, 2009, 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

Touchy subject tito!. Smile Seems it may have happened before, more than once................ Rolling Eyes
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 11, 2009, 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: What is the deal on exaust wraps?

I would wrap the entire engine......then you won't feel any heat at all.....and it would look great..... Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2