650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
oldbikenut

PostPosted: February 8, 2009, 1:59 am    Post subject: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

Hello:I'm really happy I found this site, lots of great advice for a newbie. After not having a steetbike for around 13 years I decided it was time. I was fortunate to find a reasonably priced 78 XS650 SE. Now I'm really more of a sportbike kind of rider and this special has a few features that have to go. First off the handlebars it would take a long time to get used to them, next would be the king seat. I actually think the bike looks pretty good as it is but again I'm just drawn to the sportbike look. Now I did have a XS400 around 22 years ago so I'm not totally new to the XS family.Now the bike has not ran in several years. I started with draining tank, carbs and petcocks. Checked for spark but none, does the bike need a fully charged battery to have spark? Also I've noticed while rolling the bike around neutral is a little tricky to find.Any input you have would be great and I look forward to fixing this bike up and sharing info and ideas with everyone.
batman911

PostPosted: February 8, 2009, 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

Welcome to the site. You have a good looking bike there man
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 8, 2009, 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

Welcome oldbikenut, Yes a fully charged battery is a must to get it going. foget trying to use the electric starter just kick it...........lower handle bars and a seat of an original SE-SF will make for a more comfortable ride, (better for the lower back)........... Change the oil and check the lower sump filter for any tears in the screen, and any pieces of black plastic or aluminum filings. ............the sump plug is magnetized so any (don't swear), peices of metal floating around will get cought...............
Photo Gallery
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: February 8, 2009, 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

I love the seat on your bike. Does it sit well for the rider in back?
Photo Gallery
killer

PostPosted: February 8, 2009, 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

You'll need as much battery as you can get to have good spark. That's why the kickstarter is the best bet for getting it going. The coils are inherently weak. The stock ignition condensers had always given me problems as well... particularly because of the location. The engine heat just cooks them.

Shouldn't be too hard to get it going.

Keep us informed of your progress.

1979 XS650 2F0
oldbikenut

PostPosted: February 8, 2009, 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

RUSSO wrote:
I love the seat on your bike. Does it sit well for the rider in back?

Thanks everyone! I have not actually got to use the seat but it is soft and seems very usable. Fortunately the bike looks to have been garaged and does not show signs of being left outside much. I don't really plan on any frame mods so I figure I can always go back to this look in the future. These bikes are great, the things I've seen people do is amazing!
THANKS FOR THE SERVICE TIPS!
nj1639

PostPosted: February 8, 2009, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

Yep, nice looking stock bike. Love the way one can make these an individual statement without too much irreversable mod. Welcome aboard.
oldbikenut

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

I need to replace the battery it's a goner, any suggestions?
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

Buy a new one Laughing ...........MikesXS, or any Battery out let should have one..........Hold that, just looked up on MlkesXS for a battery reference, bloody confusing, he is selling batteries for every bike made now and it is very hard to work out what battery is needed for the XS's...............Went to the PDF file and finally found the TX, XS reference at the bottom of the bottom page, got the reference no but alas no battery he has for sale fits the no?
Photo Gallery
oldbikenut

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

650skull wrote:
Buy a new one Laughing ...........MikesXS, or any Battery out let should have one..........Hold that, just looked up on MlkesXS for a battery reference, bloody confusing, he is selling batteries for every bike made now and it is very hard to work out what battery is needed for the XS's...............Went to the PDF file and finally found the TX, XS reference at the bottom of the bottom page, got the reference no but alas no battery he has for sale fits the no?

Thanks for taking the time to look. I see a battery he says fits all 74-84 650's. Do you think this does not include the special model?
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

it will use a YB14L-A2 for the stock lead acid type or Mikes CBTX14AHL-BS AGM would fit your Special
oldbikenut

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

jayel wrote:
it will use a YB14L-A2 for the stock lead acid type or Mikes CBTX14AHL-BS AGM would fit your Special

Well I called a few local places and found that I can get the battery for $51.39 at Napa and at Interstate batteries for $39.95. Not having had to by a battery in sometime I guess my question is are most of the batteries the same in quality and how long they last? or would the one from Mikes be a better choice?
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

For me, my decision was made by having acid drip on to my pipes on my old KZ which I don't want to happen to my XS. Bought an AGM (absorbed gas mat)battery. Sealed so it won't drip onto my pipes.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

Mikes AGM (absorbed glass mat) is $59 they will last over 5 years a lead acid is lucky to get 3 years and as pumps says no leaks, and no re-filling
oldbikenut

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

pumps wrote:
For me, my decision was made by having acid drip on to my pipes on my old KZ which I don't want to happen to my XS. Bought an AGM (absorbed gas mat)battery. Sealed so it won't drip onto my pipes.

That does bring up an interesting point, the one at Mikes is AGM, I did not ask either place I called what type of battery it was that they offered, they're are closed now. The AGM last alot longer so that would be a definate plus [/b]Thanks jayel[b]
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

Locally a guy advertised some stuff from an uncompleted resto on craigslist. The brand new agm battery, rubberized battery box, lid and rubber strap hold down I was able to get for $50. Would've bought the rebuilt carbs if I'd had the cash at the time.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
oldbikenut

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

pumps wrote:
Locally a guy advertised some stuff from an uncompleted resto on craigslist. The brand new agm battery, rubberized battery box, lid and rubber strap hold down I was able to get for $50. Would've bought the rebuilt carbs if I'd had the cash at the time.
Good deal! I better start checking CL more often, actually that's where I found my bike. I know what you mean about money, motorcycles and money are a touchy subject around my house!
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

Don't forget the extra cost of the charger for the AGM batteries.
Photo Gallery
oldbikenut

PostPosted: February 14, 2009, 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

650skull wrote:
Don't forget the extra cost of the charger for the AGM batteries.

What? Needs a special charger?
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 14, 2009, 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

agm's need to be charged low and slow, under 2amp up to 6 hours to get a good charge in them
oldbikenut

PostPosted: February 14, 2009, 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

I already have a battery tender jr., so I think that should work!
Thanks for all the advice! Just want to make sure I get the correct battery!
oldbikenut

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

Well I got it started! The bike actually started on the sixth kick and blew a little smoke that soon went away and by the way as recommended by several of you I did not use the electric start(thanks for that advice). The bike believe it or not actually idled pretty good, the bike actually started on the first kick after it had sit for about 15 minutes. This gives me alot of hope as I'd really like to have the bike ready by summer.

I can tell the electrical is going to need some attention as the horn, turn signals and brake light don't work, also the brake calipers need rebuilt and the bike definately needs fork seals.

Thanks again to all for the helpful advice and I've really enjoyed all the helpful info on this site!

Here's a picture of my bike with new handle bars(seat and grab rail on order)also here is a look at the electrical which looks a little messy to me.

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

yeah now comes the fun part... Very Happy is it charging? set the cam tensioner, then the timing, then the valves.... yes your wiring needs help do you have a manual? wiring diagram? I'd replace that fuse box and the extra fuse holders
oldbikenut

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER HERE! HELLO EVERYONE!

Are you raining on my parade! Shocked I know I still have a ton of work to do on my bike but I tell you, it sure was cool to hear it fire up. I do have a manual and am going to take things slow. I figure I have about 3 months to get it some what road worthy. I am now in the process of getting an order into Mikesxs, which will definately include the fuse box.

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1