650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > ChopRocket

ChopRocket
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
oldkarkid

PostPosted: January 26, 2009, 1:55 pm    Post subject: ChopRocket

I figured this was the best place to put a few notes about the bike that I am almost finished with, "ChopRocket", because it mostly fits into the CR catagory. She is a 1973 TX that has had a whole lot of work done to her. A lot of engine work, including porting and polishing, polished valves, camshaft, and I switched the bottom engine case with a non starter unit (that was kindof a trick). The rest of the modifications are pretty visible. The tank and front fender have been modified to fit from an old GS Suzuki and the rear tailpiece/sidecover section were all hand formed. Exhaust is a hand made 2-1 unit I fabbed up out of some mandrel bent steel. The front fairing was a crappy lookin Emgo unit that I fixed up a bit and recessed so the front fender will be happy over bumps and not hit. the headlight has been lowered about 6" from stock to help with the sportbike look. I also hooked up an old KZ 750 swingarm to the scoot to allow the use of a wider rear wheel and tire. This also exteded the bike about 2". Shocks were also relocated to kick the rear up and allow space for the belly pan. By the way the belly pan is also a totally handmade piece. The seat will be a tuck and roll white leather two up piece that should be pretty cool. I wanted to build something that looked like a crotch rocket would have in the 50's. Also she sports some hand made clip ons and a few other trick little pieces. I hope you all enjoy. I will be sure to post more photos as I get her put back together. Its getting painted right now and shouldnt be too much longer.

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 26, 2009, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

hmmm... well it does certainly looks different, got a pic of the two into one tie-in?
metalredneck

PostPosted: January 26, 2009, 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

YEEEAAAHH! Me likey. Keep the pics coming! Very Happy

PostPosted: January 26, 2009, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

The 2-1 comes down both sides of the engine then the left side comes behind the engine and through where the belly pan is notched, and finally dumps in with a radius curve that matches up to the right side of the pipe to keep the gasses running smoothly. From the tie in back the pipe is 1.75" running through the unrestricted muffler. Havent heard it run, because the motor in the pictures is just my dummy spare while I worked on the real motor out of the frame. I hope it sounds cool.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 26, 2009, 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

..Mad Max ? Wink
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
oldkarkid

PostPosted: January 26, 2009, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

haha yeah I guess you could say that.
oldkarkid

PostPosted: January 28, 2009, 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

Here is a picture of my front wheel and tire. There were no whitewalls available in the sizes of tires I put on her so I had to make my own. I found a company called Ranger Laboratories that makes a special rubber paint just for tires. I was skeptical at first, but I think they have one hell of a product. This is just the first coat, and there will be more to come in order to finish it. This should really set the old sled off.

oldkarkid

PostPosted: February 2, 2009, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

Here are a few pictures of the bike as it goes back together. I also included one of the exhaust pipe Jayel asked about before it went out to chrome.

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 2, 2009, 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

well you are going to get comments on it anyway, anyone that knows old bikes will see that engine and go wait a minute what going on here .... I don't mind something like this, think it falls under the upgrades and improvment section Razz
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 2, 2009, 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

I am interested in the tie in on your exhaust. I thought the pipes had to be an even length for the back pressure to work properly.
Photo Gallery
oldkarkid

PostPosted: February 2, 2009, 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

There are rings that were welded on the inside of the collector where the headpipes meet the back section of the pipes. The backpressure will not be a problem
oldkarkid

PostPosted: February 8, 2009, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

Here are a few more progress pictures. I did some trimming to the upper triple clamp since I was no longer going to use the riser and handlebar setup, and it polished up nicely. There is also a nice close up of the metal work done on the sidecover area and tailpiece. The bottom of the tail is just as shiny as the top is. I thought I would throw in a pic of the pin-up girl I airbrushed on the gas tank. Hoping to have it all together except for the pipes (because they are getting chromed) by the end of February. I am having a blast with this thing.

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: February 9, 2009, 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

Id love to hear it run!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
oldkarkid

PostPosted: February 12, 2009, 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

Hello boys and girls, here are a few more pictures as she goes back together. Not much left to do to the old girl. The tank, fairing, and bellypan all must be polished out yet, along with the left side engine cover. The seat and pipes turned out awesome. Have a show to be at next weekend so it is going to be a rat race to finish it. I will be sure to put a ton of pictures up when its done.

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 12, 2009, 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

I love the effort you've put in man, shows out! Very unique........modern-retro, motro! Did I just invent a word? I like it, motro!!!!

On mine, where the holes are in the top triple clamp, I've got ally welsh plugs (maybe you call them core plugs). Polish them up & tap them in from the bottom and they fill those holes great, if your interested.

Good luck next weekend, cheers.

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: February 12, 2009, 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

Really wild! I just can't think of a type because it doesn't fit a type. Sport bike but not, cafe but not. Very unique. Still want to hear that pipe!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 12, 2009, 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

Mad Max again ? Smile
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
Xumi

PostPosted: February 12, 2009, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

Wow... just... Wow.

Very unique, very retrocool. I dig it.

'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
oldkarkid

PostPosted: February 12, 2009, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

Thanks to everyone who thinks this is cool. I am 23 and this is the second bike I have built, the first being a just-the-necessities rigid chopper. I picked this bike up off of an estate auction for $30.00 and a spare for $20.00!!! The motor, both sets of wheel bearings, and the steering head were all locked up solid. I have spent the better part of a year putting it back together. I only recently found this site, otherwise I would have posted more of the "build" photos. I had never seen a bike like this but what I had pictured in my head seemed cool so I started cutting which is where the "Chop" came from. When she began to come together one of my buddies said it looked like a crotch-rocket, and the idea for "ChopRocket" came together with the CR capitalized for cafe racer. Yeah, quirky I know but it fits. This bike probably ticks a few of the die hards off, but I dont care. Bikes are unique and nothing I build looks the same as anyone elses. Its all for fun. Thanks again guys, I dont feel nearly as crazy as I did when I started this build because I figured no one would like it!! Stay tuned, I am polishing tonight.
oldkarkid

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

I couldnt wait to load these. Who needs sleep?? haha. All of the body polishing is finished now the only major piece is the left side engine cover. Should be able to get that done this weekend. It is all really coming together, but there are a number of small things that need to be accomplished before it is "finished." I am going to seal the gas tank just to be absolutely sure there arent any freak pinholes and ruin my paintjob. Then fuel can be added and pray to the good Lord above this thing runs. I havent heard the pipe either and I am absolutely excited to. I will take a video of it and post it on youtube and post the link on here so you guys can hear it. I also threw a pic in of my chain follower sprockets. Because of the altered ride height and longer swingarm, my chain rubbed like mad. They might be a little noisy but I guess I will have to live with that. The pinup girl didnt look quite right so she got a little bit of touch-up work done. I really like it this time around. I have done all the work myself except for the seat and chroming. My father is an incredible teacher and I give him the credit for teaching me how to do this stuff. Hope you guys like it.

Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

You get "A" for originality and the paint job looks first class. You should win some prizes if it is entered in shows.
Photo Gallery
Ken99

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

That thing is wild. I love it.
oldkarkid

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

Its finished! Here are a few of the pictures right before the show this weekend before I loaded it into the trailer and headed out. (no, its not a trailer queen, but it is February here in Nebraska and 100 miles is too far to go when its only 35 degrees F outside) I will get some more of the show and let you know how she did.

calicruiser

PostPosted: February 20, 2009, 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: ChopRocket

really wild bike. I dig the hell out of it!!!

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3