650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > My Bratstyle seat wanna be

My Bratstyle seat wanna be
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
trrubicon06

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 1:24 am    Post subject: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

Well, I just picked up my seat from the upholster today and wanted to post up some pictures and to hear some thoughts on it.

Here are a few examples of the seat style that I was going for.

Here is what I came up with. I'll post some better one's when I get the wheels on to move it.

Mark257

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

Looking good i like the handlebars ans the tank looks really good , is the seat comfortable?
1978 Honda cb750k
Photo Gallery
trrubicon06

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

Thanks. The seat comfort is pretty decent. Of course by making it so thin, you sacrifice comfort for looks. I'm pretty happy with it. The tank was just sitting on the bike in that picture and not bolted down, that's why it looks kinda crooked. I'm still debating on changing the bars to something taller.
BigGeorge

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

The upholster did a nice job... May I ask what he charged you? Did you make your own seat pan? How is the seat fastened to the frame? Thanks...........BG

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

BigGeorge wrote:
The upholster did a nice job... May I ask what he charged you? Did you make your own seat pan? How is the seat fastened to the frame? Thanks...........BG

Well, as far as the cost goes I'm gonna say between $100 and $200, only because I'm thinking of maybe making some to sell if I can get hold of a stock frame to make it work with a stock tank. But, that's if I can and if there is some interest in it.

I cut and shaped the pan out of sheet metal. I'll post a picture of the underside later. Since I'm not using the stock tank I cut off the rear tank post on the frame. I smoothed it down and drilled a hole in the same spot. On the seat I have a bolt that goes through the bottom of the seat pan to go through that hole in the frame. Then it's secured underneath with a screw on knob. On the rear I drilled 2 holes in the seat pan for me to rivet a mounting tab that'll bolt to the fender like in the first 2 pictures above.
trrubicon06

PostPosted: January 22, 2009, 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

Here are a few side shots with the seat. The pictures are not great since they are in the shed at night. This weekend I'll take some outside in the sun. I'm debating on the headlight and mount still, but I think I'm gonna sell them and get something different. This headlight setup would look better on a cafe racer, I think. I a good amount left to complete still Crying or Very sad

cretin75xs650

PostPosted: January 22, 2009, 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

I'd be in for a seat like that. LMK how much your would charge. I have an 81 XS650 and would like that seat.
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 22, 2009, 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

I know better than to get into this but......isn't that seat gonna kill your ass.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
calicruiser

PostPosted: January 23, 2009, 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

xsjohn wrote:
I know better than to get into this but......isn't that seat gonna kill your ass.......

xsjohn

then why get into it? you think he'd pay to have someone make him a seat that he wanted if he really didnt want to run it? i highly doubt it. sometimes it's better to not respond;)
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 23, 2009, 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

Was a legitimate question......but I am learning ..........every once in a while I ask but should know better.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: January 23, 2009, 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

Time and riding will tell there, XSJohn.
The best I could find in comfort and lowering was to remove the seat pan alltogether and trim the sides of the stock foam. Was running a cobra seat while fabing and that rug padding in the cobra was torture at 2 inches thick. Tried memory foam and that collapsed down to the pan. Tried some mattress foam with the same results.
So for me, stock foam, trimmed sides, NO PAN, secured to the frame with snaps. End result is a happy ass. Maybe in more ways than one.
That bratstyle seat does look good though! Which brings to mind 'pretty is as pretty does'.

Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: January 23, 2009, 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

xsjohn wrote:
isn't that seat gonna kill your ass.......

xsjohn

That seat looks crazy comfortable to me, but then again I come from riding sportbikes, and my current bike has no padding at all Laughing

To me, there are two minds on this sort of thing, there are those who will not build something if it's not comfortable to ride 400+ miles a day, and there are those(like me) who are willing to sacrifice pretty much anything to get the look they are going for. There might be some grey area in between those two though. Wink

It all just depends on what you like.
skippyp

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

Your bike looks great. I am in the process of building one right now too. What tank is that, and are those Rebel shocks? What is the eye to eye?
trrubicon06

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

skippyp wrote:
Your bike looks great. I am in the process of building one right now too. What tank is that, and are those Rebel shocks? What is the eye to eye?

The tank is a 3.3g high tunnel mustang tank made by Paughco. Yes the shocks are rebel shocks. They are 10.5" eye to eye.
trrubicon06

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

Here's some better pictures outside. The mufflers are just slipped on and not actually mounted.

xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

.Nice...If a bike could give you a stiffy the an XS would better than a (20yr old) nun in silk stockings.....
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
1ironhead

PostPosted: April 25, 2009, 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

Cool.I'm weighing my options(Pa inspections are a PIA for bobbers) and gathering a few parts right now.Did yo use a stock seat pan (hinges and all)?Also,what year frame is yours?
hinz

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

what gas tank is that?
oh nevermind Embarassed
borjawil

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

what bars are you using on your bike and whered you get em?

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

Have you decided to sell the seats? Still need one, lmk. Email me at cycleryder02 @ aol.com
hinz

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

Are those Cheng Shin tires? I'm looking for alternatives to the Firestones and those look good. What size are they?
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

I like it. Good work. And I can tell there has been a lot put into it.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
borjawil

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

if you scroll up ironhead and hinz the answers to your questions await you.

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bratstyle seat wanna be

borjawil wrote:
if you scroll up ironhead and hinz the answers to your questions await you.

I know, that's why I said never mind. Still waitin on an answer on my tire question thou...

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2