650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > All the rest > > ebay bid

ebay bid
    Forum Index -> All the rest
Lejusti

PostPosted: July 6, 2006, 10:27 am    Post subject: ebay bid

so i bid on this bike on ebay, and lost , but the winner didn't follow through with payment, so i got the second chance bid to win. so i can decide if i want it, however, the guy emails me.... i'm from MN and the bike was in WI about 2 hours away and he says that he's not in wi and that he's in dublin ireland becuase of his job and if i want it i'd have to have him ship it to me and go through ebay to pay him for it.
does that sound sketchy?

he works for a cargo place he said so the shipping woudl be free, but i'm really not sure of the deal. he said that ebay would do all the handling of the payment and he would ship it to me and there is a 10 inspection time before he receives payment.

what do you guys think? it almost sounds like too much work / sketchyness to deal with.
veetors

PostPosted: July 6, 2006, 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: ebay bid

it sounds a little like a scam, I wouldn't give him my money.
Lejusti

PostPosted: July 6, 2006, 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: ebay bid

also, i've never dealt with "second try" wins.

i did email ebay to see if it was valid, the first email came directly from ebay.com however, if you look in there rules for second try's it says if someone has to do a second try sell, that you would receive a message in your "my ebay" inbox which i do not have any messages in.

here is what was sent to me by the seller, after i emailed him asking him what happend with the winning bidder

Hello,

You have the opportunity to purchase this item for your bid price because the ex-winner had some problems and couldn't handle the situation, so following eBay's suggestion, I've contacted you this way.
First of all I want to tell you that I'm not at home, where the item is located. Because of my job I have to move all the time and now I am located in Dublin, Ireland. I work for Lufthansa Air Cargo and if we want to purchase my item, it is a good thing for you because I can ship it for free. The purchase price is your highest bid. The deal will go strictly according to eBay's rules and policy regarding to this second chance offer - to start the official transaction with eBay I need to know your following details:
-full name and address
-eBay user ID
-Item Number
As soon as I have them I'll start the official procedure, and eBay will notify you about this. You'll also receive important guidelines + payment instructions from them (please go through them exactly). I'll handle the shipping, so this will be free of charge for you + I am willing to deduct you with the fee for handling the payment procedure. We will use eBay's Escrow Insurer to manage the payment. It is the safest way for both of us and also you will have 10 days to inspect the product before I receive the money.

Also, a refund policy will be included.

Looking forward to hearing from you asap.

what do you guys think?

thanks for your input
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 6, 2006, 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: ebay bid

Where do you get the bike, is it delivered to your door? What about customs clearance and import regulations? Does it have a valid US title? I would be a bit concerned that the Ireland thing was not brought out upfront. Unless this is a really good deal I think I'd pass.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
Lejusti

PostPosted: July 6, 2006, 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: ebay bid

I believe the bike itself is in Wisconsin still, just he's not. I figured that i'd just go pick it up with cash in hand, since it's not far from where i am. but now, i'm just kind of wondering about it. I've seen pics of the bike, but not really in person. it's a 1980 xs650. my max bid was $855 so that's what i'd be getting it for. but i didn't know there was all these stipulations, and i don't think the winning bidder did either,and that's probably why he didn't follow through as well.
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 6, 2006, 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: ebay bid

Play it safe. $855 will get you another bike in no time. Besides he can't leave you bad feedback if you did not win the auction. Can you post a link to the auction post? I'm curious to see if he used the images for the 1980 XS I bought on ebay last month.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 6, 2006, 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ebay bid

there is NO WAY he would need your ebay user ID (he's selling the bike and doesn't know the item id #?) this is a SCAM report this to ebay

Last edited by jayel on July 6, 2006, 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
Lejusti

PostPosted: July 6, 2006, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: ebay bid

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...O%3AUS%3A1

if this link don't work, i'm including pics.

7d_12.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.2 KB
 Viewed:  282 Time(s)

7d_12.jpg

1a_12.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.81 KB
 Viewed:  286 Time(s)

1a_12.jpg

Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 6, 2006, 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ebay bid

I hope his health improves in Ireland. That's not my bike thankfully. I'd turn him down. If he really needs to get rid of the bike he could have somebody show it to you in person.
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 6, 2006, 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ebay bid

what is up with the exhaust? Look at the blueing at the center stand. Never saw that before.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
Lejusti

PostPosted: July 6, 2006, 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ebay bid

I'm not sure.... i've seen blueing like that on a newer vstar 650 and that was after a long long ride, and i think my friends that were blue like that his long ride was on the highway going 90+ for like an hour.
i just got an email from the seller, i had asked him where it was located if the bike was in ireland now or in Wisconsin. he said "the bike is located at the shipping company in wisconsin"

more and more the two stories don't sound like they are the same people.
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 6, 2006, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ebay bid

Anybody selling a vehicle that won't take cash in person is not to be trusted. The ones that do you have to wonder about too.

I have bought two vehicles on ebay. The first looked great in the photos. I guess I should have started to worry when the guy was shocked that I wanted to drive it home (I only made it two blocks).

I'm just saying if you don't see it in person, be prepared to lose your shirt.
Photo Gallery
Lejusti

PostPosted: July 6, 2006, 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ebay bid

listen to this s***. (sorry if your not suppose to swear in here but i'm lucky i followed up on this)

so i kept emailing this guy about the bike, and his story was just not matching up. so i go on to ebay and i email the seller and ask "how much time do i have?" and he writes back all confused and saything that other people email him asking him if he sent a "second chance sell"
so this was a total scam.

he told me that a guy that won, came out and paid him the very next day and emailed him two days later on how happy he was with the bike.

it's too bad assholes have to try and scam money.
i'm just glad i caught it.

thanks you all for your input on idiots on the web.
now does anyone have a xs650 they wanna sell for real, near MN ??? Smile
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 6, 2006, 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ebay bid

make sure you report this to ebay. I've learned to make sure that any emails I get around ebay are present in my account's inbox. At least that gives some measure of security.

Good luck on finding a bike, they are out there.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
Lejusti

PostPosted: July 7, 2006, 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: ebay bid

yeah, i reported it. however, it seems i just got back a auto reply type email that just said don't send any money or reply to any messages anymore. which i thought was kind of lame.

Forum Index -> All the rest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1