650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Reserve Lighting device

Reserve Lighting device
    Forum Index -> Electrical
englishwheeler

PostPosted: January 14, 2009, 7:38 am    Post subject: Reserve Lighting device

Do I have to keep this on the bike? I would like to get rid of it.
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 14, 2009, 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Reserve Lighting device

Turns off headlight for first start button hit........that you could live without with headlight on-off switch......but what happens if you accidently hit the starter button when it's running......?

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 14, 2009, 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Reserve Lighting device

xsjohn and englishwheeler

The safety relay is what turns off the juice to the starter solenoid after the engine starts and turns on the headlight.

The Reserve Lighting Device (RLU) turns on the white "headlight" fail light and the high beam if the low beam filiament burns out.

You can remove the RLU and jumper the Blue/Black wire to the Blue/Yellow wire in the harness connector to keep the headlight working.

PostPosted: January 14, 2009, 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Reserve Lighting device

Yea....I understand ......I was just posing the question to EW......hit the starter and clank without the RLD........sometimes I don't explain myself well......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 14, 2009, 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Reserve Lighting device

xsjohn,

Go and get another cup of coffee, John......I'm sure you know this....the RLD has nothing to do with the starter. It's the Safety Relay that prevents the clank if you try starting with the engine running....that's why it's called a "Safety" relay. The safety relay also provide +12 to turn on the headlight after the engine has started, via the RLD (RLU).

The RLD (RLU) just turns on the white headlight idiot light to tell you that a filiament has burned out in the headlight. If the low beam filiament burns out, the RLD (RLU) also turns on the high beam but at reduced intensity so you do not blind oncoming drivers at night. That's why it is called the "Reserve" lighting unit (RLU).

englishwheeler wants to remove the Reserve Lighting Unit. If he removes it and does the wiring bypass from Blue/Black to Blue/Yellow, nothing bad will happen, except he will not get the white light warning for a burned out headlight. However, he may get a Blue Light warning if the headlight burns out.

The protection from an inadvertant attempt to start the engine when it is already running will still be there because that is a function of the safety relay, not the RLU.

PostPosted: January 14, 2009, 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve Lighting device

Makes since....never mess with that stuff....forgot about the safety relay.....I'm just a engine man anyway......I have yet to have any electrical problems on my 80.......I will be the first to squeel when I do.....and Yamaha wouldn't let us wack the harness.....just replaced the parts.........that's wy I call my self a parts swapper......works if you have some spares.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
englishwheeler

PostPosted: January 14, 2009, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve Lighting device

thanks guys. I want to remove this to make my cafe project a little cleaner. I don't really ride at night anyway...but I know I need the light in the day too. I'll remove it and do the wire swap. Pamcopete...can I get with you if I have questions on the wire jump?
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 14, 2009, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve Lighting device

englishwheeler

Sure, or 5twins has actually done the mod so he could be of assistance as well.

PostPosted: January 15, 2009, 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Reserve Lighting device

man do i love being a j-man electrician by trade, took me a day to make a new harness for mine.
BigGeorge

PostPosted: January 15, 2009, 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Reserve Lighting device

Englishwheeler go here www.excess650.co.uk/ti...tricks.htm
Hope this helps.............BG

PostPosted: January 15, 2009, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve Lighting device

Yep, thanks BG, that's all I did ....... but ....... there's this cool mod on top of this (thanks to Pamcopete, of course) .......

xs650temp.proboards29....hread=9140

I guess this applies mostly to folks with a near stock machine. If you're bastardizing (in my opinion) one of these fine bikes, you're on your own.

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1