650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > Scrambler-type high pipes

Scrambler-type high pipes
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
metalredneck

PostPosted: January 6, 2009, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Scrambler-type high pipes

Has anyone got plans for scrambler type pipes? Or a set of high pipes laying around?

A friend of mine has a bender, and I want to build a 2 into 1 high-pipe system, preferably left-side exit. Any help would be fabulous.

Some head-pipe length specs. before the y-pipe would be handy for tuning purposes.

PostPosted: January 6, 2009, 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

Found this.......my first 650 was a blue BSA Hornet (66) like this one except with a headlight and street tires....always though it was knock dead georgous right out of the box.........don't remember the front fender being so high though.........loved the pipes......I put some twist snuff or nots on the end of the pipes and ran it........

But nothing could be more georgous than my Obama Dinner plates I just recieved in the mail.......and look who is comming to dinner......ME.. Laughing Laughing Laughing

xsjohn

bsa hornet 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  286.47 KB
 Viewed:  431 Time(s)

bsa hornet 1.jpg

bsa hornet 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  243.11 KB
 Viewed:  358 Time(s)

bsa hornet 2.jpg

Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 6, 2009, 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

Not the best Quality, nor specs, but am sure you could work it out from these. Thought they looked cool, and look like they have been modeled on the BSA scrambler xsjohn had

transformed3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  560.25 KB
 Viewed:  418 Time(s)

transformed3.jpg

transformed4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  449.15 KB
 Viewed:  424 Time(s)

transformed4.jpg

transformed.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  527.79 KB
 Viewed:  394 Time(s)

transformed.jpg

Photo Gallery
metalredneck

PostPosted: January 7, 2009, 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

Those may be an option, though I would rather go 2 into 1. I will continue to search & experiment.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 7, 2009, 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

The hornet is one of my fav bikes of all time.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 7, 2009, 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

Got My Hornet in 1968........didn't have the since then to tune it right and gear it up some and blew a piston on the highway........bad day....but learned something....well maybe....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

I need some new pipes SOON.

I am gonna ask a local pipe makes to do it. But I feel a big sting coming on Smile

Any advice on how to make or have some made as inexpensively as possible is gratefully received.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

Jake.......This was one of my favoriate bikes of all time.......it was geared right and I could go anywhere........Montesa Scorpion ........rode it for 2 years 70-72 till I got the RT1 which had a bit more power but was never really the bike the Montesa was....

xsjohn

montesa scorpion.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  330.99 KB
 Viewed:  768 Time(s)

montesa scorpion.jpg

Photo Gallery
metalredneck

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

I had an RT! for a couple of years. What a tractor! I miss big-bore 2-strokes.

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

Still have 2 RT's....Red is the 71 and Blue is a 72.......I rode Red for 10 years or more...Blue I built for my dad which came back to me.....both geared taller of course...17/40.....and two foot lockers full of new parts I collected...and the gear boxes are wide ratio....unlike the funky close ratio XS's.......

xsjohn

bikes.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  257.79 KB
 Viewed:  424 Time(s)

bikes.jpg

Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

Jake68 wrote:
Any advice on how to make or have some made as inexpensively as possible is gratefully received.

I seen something on rebending pipes off a honda 350/360 scrambler to fit

Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

I totally LOVE and I mean LOVE the look of older trail / dirt bikes from the 70's.

I had a DT250 and a DT400, and my experience of them, was shocking..despite lovin' the bikes, I never actually GOT anywhere on them. I couldnt actually go on really long cruising rides..and once on the 400 was hit by a car and the entire bike sprang apart like a broken watch..leaving me sitting on the boot of this guys car..watching as the tank leaked fuel and the cases leaked gear oil and the tyres hissed and the seat rocked back and forth on the ground seperate from the rest of the bike..its was like buckaroo ! LOL
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

Why didn't you change the gears.......my RT!'s were geared 15/44 stock......changed them to 17/40 and still won a 70 mile Enduro in the Ocala National Forest.......and I was riding double........my friend on the back with trials tires...........and then we rode it home 75 miles on the express......at 65 miles an hour...

I plan on making a chopper out of one of them.... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

The 1967 305 scrambler I had was geared about right. You could go down forest trails in the low gears, but its top gear worked great on the highway. It was a good bike to learn on.

1967 305 scrambler ym2c.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.14 KB
 Viewed:  379 Time(s)

1967 305 scrambler ym2c.jpg

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

Brain FLash

If I was planning on spending the time and money to really make a bike to please me and maybe catch peoples eye I would be tempted to take like one of these or like and make it into a cafe racer...(no ugly ass bubble back seat though).....geared up-up and lowered (the newer ones) with street tires......and most likely lower the compression a bit so it would still snort but not explode........easy on a 2 stroke...

Lots of neat even newer bikes out there that aren't wanted by the current Throphy Racers that would be slick if converted...water cooled racers to cafe racers...even the old air cooled ones....already lite weight .....fast.....and with neat wheels and frames...AND BEAUTIFUL....instead of just another wacked up chopper of XS650 sort .....ah what the s***.......

God were those bikes beautiful or what.........and then you could ride like a motorcycle is meant to be ridden..... Idea title would be the only obstacle but could be overcome.....

xsjohn

maico closeup.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.15 KB
 Viewed:  321 Time(s)

maico closeup.jpg

maico 501 1972.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.17 KB
 Viewed:  359 Time(s)

maico 501 1972.jpg

maico 360 1969.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.57 KB
 Viewed:  360 Time(s)

maico 360 1969.jpg

Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

Maico's are too square for me..and in rectacular not un cool Smile LOL

Anyhow...I didnt up gear them because I broke them both before I got round to it ...and I was only a pup idiot then..LOL..

That 305 is LOVELY..I love classic Jap bikes and early 70's brits ..they totally rock..dont mind late 60's early 70's Harley Sportsters either LOL..

I used to have one of these too...same as one in pic..

Wish I still had that..went like STINK..rode it around without a license or crash helmet at the age of 16 when my parents went out to dinner parties LOL...(Dont tell anyone)..and..once passed a police bike doing over a ton him going the other way with no crash helmet on..he put its blues on and tried to come after me..but I rode it into the woods and turned off the lights ...ahhh...sweet memories..what an idiot I was when I was a kid LOL..

gt500_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.99 KB
 Viewed:  333 Time(s)

gt500_1.jpg

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

We're still idiots....just older idiots......... Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

At the risk of getting back on topic......I assume you've checked Omars Racing and seen the scrambler type pipes he sells?

omarsdtr.com/milepipe.html

Pricey but: reputed to be excellent performers Best, Blue

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

Topic? Who said topic? err...yeah I see what you mean..apologies Smile

I like all the Omars stuff to look at, but it seems so pricey as you say.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

The topic did have scrambler in it..........seems a stretch to classify the XS as a srambler though....guess no one really did....but it could be a ambler or a rambler....and they are calling fat women full figured now...so maybe it is....... Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

speaking of GT's. a good friend of mine just picked up a GT750 Triple Suzuki. Nicely restored too. so i bought him a nice set of clubmans for it. TO bad the middle cylinder isn't running. Probably Fouled plug or carbs are dirty.
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

Here is another that I though was too beautiful for its time..........Pursang....

xsjohn

bultaco 3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  117.94 KB
 Viewed:  339 Time(s)

bultaco 3.jpg

bultaco_pursang_250_sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.65 KB
 Viewed:  328 Time(s)

bultaco_pursang_250_sm.jpg

Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

great bike if you could keep one running, I think Pursang was spanish for hand grenade........
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

And lastly we can't forget the trusty Harley Sprint........... Te Hee....maybe it's best use yet......

xsjohn

harley sprint mailbox.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.64 KB
 Viewed:  427 Time(s)

harley sprint mailbox.jpg

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3