650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > What are the basics of repainting the frame and should I bo?

What are the basics of repainting the frame and should I bo?
    Forum Index -> Frames
WillP

PostPosted: January 3, 2009, 5:19 pm    Post subject: What are the basics of repainting the frame and should I bo?

Very open question but I am considering repainting the frame of my 71 XS1 I have [slight patches of light rust and other damage from the prior chap who owned it].

1) Say I have everything of of the frame and it is bare. then what? What are the steps?

2) Is it a silly idea in total and I should take it to be professionally done? If so, are there some steps I can do before taking it the shop liking stripping the old paint, preparing or the like?

I appreciate the time and attention. Cheers
sure

PostPosted: January 3, 2009, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the basics of repainting the frame and should I bo?

Take it and have it sand blasted then take directly to your local powder coater..
WillP

PostPosted: January 3, 2009, 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the basics of repainting the frame and should I bo?

Cheers
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: January 3, 2009, 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the basics of repainting the frame and should I

OR, you can de grease it, wire wheel it, degrease again and use spray on truck bed liner. tough as nails. looks nice like powder coating (matte finish though) i did my cb500/4 frame like this and it looks excellent.
kenb

PostPosted: January 3, 2009, 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the basics of repainting the frame and should I

Quote::
Take it and have it sand blasted then take directly to your local powder coater..

Also, bring a pair of clean, dry work gloves with you when you pick it up, so you don't have to handle it with bare hands. I'm not so sure about the powder coaters, but many types of plating and paint operations prefer a sandblast-fresh surface, free of oils and contaminants that even your bare hands can leave behind.

Ken

home.cogeco.ca/~kenb2/index.html
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 3, 2009, 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the basics of repainting the frame and should I bo?

Your after opinions-only mine. Rub it back and paint it, or get it painted. Sandblasting can be brutal in the wrong hands or wrong equipment. Powder coating isn't a magic coat that will last forever either, any imperfections will show up and grow worse. Not much you can do about a shagged powder coat, but you can easily touch up a bit of paint. Rattle cans work fine if you do it well, a couple of clear coats on top and some heat for a few days and it will harden nice and last years!
Cheers

calicruiser

PostPosted: January 4, 2009, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the basics of repainting the frame and should I

go to your local auto parts store and buy some paint stripper. the paint on these things is not very tough to break down. spray it and let it sit for 10mins or so and SPRAY it off with a hose. hit it again if need be.

cheap way: after it is stripped, rattle can it and go from there.

better way: after it is stripped get it powdercoated. it WILL last believe me. and if the PC guy messes up he will strip it and fix it there should be no blemishes if done by a person in the know. Mine cost $125 to blast and PC.

josh
thorshammer

PostPosted: January 4, 2009, 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the basics of repainting the frame and should I bo?

Powder coat is tough but will not stick to oils and grease so no touching with bare hands cheap cotton gloves work fine. Personaly I prefer rattle can cheap, looks good and easy touch ups.
silverfox

PostPosted: January 5, 2009, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the basics of repainting the frame and should I

i agree rattel can is the way to go. wire wheel the rust p600 wet & dry the rest, can of primer wet & dry p6oo or p800 a good wash of and hit it gloss black rattel can i use black smothright [hamerite ] easy to touch up any time it needs it and it leaves a good gloss finish Wink
gantzcb
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 5, 2009, 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the basics of repainting the frame and should I

Cleanliness is next to godliness.
Strip, pre-clean wash, acid etching primer, eurathane with hardner, clear with hardner. Consult with an automotive paint supply. It would be cheaper to take it to a shop that stocks all the materials instead of buying $200 of this and that to do it right.

Strip, take powder coater that has the right baths for prep, then powder.
As mentioned above the wrong blasting media will raise the surface, rather than clean the surface.

Clean, sand, pre-clean, rattle can.

I've got a frame almost ready to go to the powder coater. The cleaner I bring it in (stripped) the less blasting they have to do. They do all the prewash. They also have the right media to blast either aluminum or steel. A two color example of power is attached -
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1