650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Convert to kickstart only

Convert to kickstart only
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> Electrical
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

Mine kicks over much easier now........after putting the compression ratio to where it should be for me........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

That does seem to be true about the triples, but these bikes aren't hard to kick you just need to position the kickstarter right before you go for it. If you don't do that then yeah, I see why you'd think they're tough. (and why your knee has that handlebar shaped bruise on it)
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: December 20, 2008, 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

Back when I had my '79, I only weighed 180 lbs. I used my kickstarter without ever actually "kicking" the thing. I just eased it around until I felt compression. Then I let the pedal come back to full c*** and just stood on it. My weight was enough to roll it over and start it.
Shannon60

PostPosted: December 20, 2008, 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

for a block off kit you can buy a freeze plug from your local auto parts store and installed with a little loctite seals perfectly. save your money for more important mods like carbs just a thought
lowbaylighting

PostPosted: November 30, 2009, 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

oldskoolcool wrote:
okay, shouldn't say useless i guess... Rolling Eyes but the leakdown gets used 99% of the time.

After checking around the net and the library I have some questions about compression testing.

Is it correct that 60 is the general line for good and bad compression in snowblower engines?

Is 90 to 150 the expected for a new engine?

When you take a reading I think the cylinder would empty each cycle but not the gauge. If you go through several cycles of the engine then the needle seems to jump up at the first few rotations, then bump up a little more on the remainder, and finally hits a high point.

It seems that only one cycle would give a true reading but that does not seem to be the case when using the rope pull. The gauge moves more with a full pull and even more with a few pulls. When I use the electric start the readings are higher still.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 30, 2009, 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

a snowmobile engine is usually a 2-stroke, 60 sounds low test with throttle open and if it has the E-start use that to take the reading, I would think you would need a least a 100
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 30, 2009, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

I do believe Jayell is correct. You need 100 PSI to burn the fuel enough to have flame travel. Of course, running compression is lower because of cam overlap, but starting need's 100, because of the slower rotation of the engine.
xjwmx

PostPosted: November 30, 2009, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

I finally learned how to kickstart (with the stand up) thanks to posts here. The trick for me is to lean the bike to the left with the seat against my inside upper thigh supporting the bike. Also point left foot to the outside to assist in support if something funny happens. I usually kick now rather than elec. Don't have the weight to kick it cold in cold weather though. Hoping 15w-40 will change that.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2