650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Convert to kickstart only

Convert to kickstart only
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Electrical
tonup

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 3:43 am    Post subject: Convert to kickstart only

Hi All...my first post! woohoo

Just bought myself a '78 project bike and going to start pulling it apart over Xmas.

I'm really keen to get the electrics as basic as possible so I'm looking at ripping off the electric starter and going old skool with just a kickstarter. Has anyone got any advice for me on this? anything I will need to replace/rewire? etc etc.

I have very basic knowledge of motorcycle mechanics/electrics so this is going to be a huge learning curve for me. I'm going to build a brat/cafe racer style bike.
nj1639

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

Hey T, welcome aboard.
Personally, I left mine in and got it working. I don't use it often, love to kick it 'specially when I'm starting out along with some other electric start only riders ( who's the man here, Yo!) but I have needed it on a few occasions.

TXTracker

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

Simple wiring diagram for you.. Cool

wiring diagram no blinkers.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.39 KB
 Viewed:  1526 Time(s)

wiring diagram no blinkers.jpg

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

Tonup, First You Will Need A Starter Block Off Kit And A New Starter Gear Acsess Cover Gasket, Mikesxs Sells Them. You Can Make a Block Off Out Of The Starter, But You have To Tear It Up To Do It, You Might Want To Reinstall It At A Later Time. First Disconect The Battery, You Will Notice The Possitive Side Goes Down And Connects With The Starter Solonoid, The Round Looking Thing Attached To The Battery Box. You Will Also Notice There Is A Little Wire Running Off This Going Into The Wireing Harness, This Small Wire Is The Power Wire That Runs The Motorcycle. Remove The Starter Solonoid And The Large Wire, It Is The Small Wire You Will Be Hooking Back Up To The Possitive Side Of The Battery. You'll Have To Install An Electrical Connecter ect. To Do This. The Solonoid And The Large Wires Are Just For The Starter. Next, The Oil Has To Be Drained Before You Begin. Next, Remove The Four Bolts Holding Starter In, Pull Starter Out. Next, On Oposite Side Of Starter There Is An Acsess Cover. Remove This Cover To remove Starter Gears. All Of It Comes Out Except The Upper Left Gear. Go To 650 Motorcycles.com. Click On Repairs. Its # 42 I Think, To See A Picture Of This. Next Install Starter Block Off Kit And Replace Cover. Fill With Oil, Check For Leaks.
yamalama

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

Tonup, I Wanted To Add That It's The Small Wire That Is Attacthed To The Large Wire You Want To Connect To The Pos Side Of Battery, It Should Be Solid Red. The Blue&White, Red&White, Coming Off The Solonoid, Go To The Starter Button.
tonup

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

Thanks yamalama for your directions. Sounds relatively straight forward. I will let you know how I go.

And thanks for the wiring diagram TXTracker. I almost spat my coffee over my monitor when I saw it this morning...lookss like an extract from MAD magazine!
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

i just left mine on, but never did any wiring or solenoid when i re-wired for the chop. If something ever happens to that kicker i can always jump it quickly instead of push starting. but kicking is awesome...especially when i have stalled in traffic. Laughing
ado63

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

Good God man. You dont need to capitalize every single word in your post. It makes it very hard to read.
nj1639

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

ado63 wrote:
Good God man. You dont need to capitalize every single word in your post. It makes it very hard to read.

y eyes, after trying.... Shocked

ado63

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

nj1639 wrote:
ado63 wrote:

y eyes, after trying.... Shocked
Must have taken a half hour to type that-well for me anyway. Rolling Eyes
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

tonup wrote:
Hi All...my first post! woohoo

Just bought myself a '78 project bike and going to start pulling it apart over Xmas.

I'm really keen to get the electrics as basic as possible so I'm looking at ripping off the electric starter and going old skool with just a kickstarter. Has anyone got any advice for me on this?

Before you rip that starter out and throw it away, try running a compression test on the engine -- by yourself -- using only the kickstarter. You might decide to keep the electric starter after doing that.
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

compression tests are useless anyways (and it's not that hard on these motors without the starter). Leak down tests tell you what you need to know.
metalredneck

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

On my '84, I ripped the starter & wiring out, as it wouldn't turn the Wiseco 752 engine over anyway. Then I used a tiny gel-cell battery from a scooter. Nice & neat.

On what planet is a compression test useless?
And besides, electric start is for babies. Exclamation

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

metalredneck wrote:

Exclamation

an airless one, need a atmosphere to have anything to compress.....lol

xsjohn

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

Kick starts are for cavemen...... Very Happy

Venus.....97% carbon dioxide

ars......Mostly carbon dioxide.....The surface pressure on Mars is only about 0.7% of the average surface pressure at sea level on Earth......should kick easier there.....won't start though............forget the moon.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

I have my button starter on my bike and it works, but I still kick it. I have always liked kickstaters, even on old Harleys that would take 10 minutes of kicking to start. These days a kickstarter is a unique and marvelous thing. People ask what the lever is on the side of the motor and when you kick start it they go "How'd you do that!?"
Question: Why did Yamaha think it was necessary to emboss "kiskstarter" into the engine case above the kick lever? Was it that much of a mystery to people? These bikes came out when kickers were not only common but normal on bikes.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

Quote::

it tells you that you have low compression and thats it, could be form anything. so leakdown ftw.
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

Compression tests useless????

Bwaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

ROFLMFAO

hehehe

hahaha

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

okay, shouldn't say useless i guess... Rolling Eyes but the leakdown gets used 99% of the time.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

On my 79 I used the kicker for everything except tune-ups, when I used the electric starter to spin the engine for compression tests. Just because you've got an electric starter on the bike doesn't mean you can't kick it whenever you want to.

If simplifying the wiring is the goal, having an electric starter on the bike doesn't complicate things all that much. What makes the wiring on these things complex is all the goddam safety switches and the turn signals and the so-called 'reserve' lighting system. Get rid of all the safeties and the reserve lighting system. Wire it by hand you've got a starter circuit, an ignition circuit, a charging circuit and a lighting circuit. You can even eliminate ONE of the brake-lite switches. But if you look at the starter circuit by itself, you see it's quite simple and doesn't complicate anything else.
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

Correct me if I am wrong ……the reserve lighting device makes for a better start when the tuning is right and it starts with only one button touch keeping the headlight off for the first hit….and what is going to happen if the starter button is hit accidentally when the engine is running……never had a thought of removing my RLD……and having both kick and electric is what makes these great…..did add a headlight cutoff and a headlight current limiter for daytime high beam for my 80…..useful finishing touches……….

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

If it doesn't start on the first or second kick then something is wrong that no electric starter is going to fix. As in the caveman piloting the bike forgot to turn on the gas, forgot to turn off the light last night, forgot to put that spark plug lead back on etc. If you find this little bike hard to kick start I think you might need a bigger bike. Both for the electric starter it will have and the extra horses to haul your out of shape butt around Very Happy
metalredneck

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

I use the kicker ONLY, even on my XS 750/3, and decided two years ago not to have a bike without one. Call me what you will.

caveman.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.61 KB
 Viewed:  438 Time(s)

caveman.jpg

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert to kickstart only

Triple is easier than the twin to kick.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2