650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > Consolidated Muffler Thread

Consolidated Muffler Thread
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
MN_TX650

PostPosted: January 22, 2009, 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

www.650rider.com/index...pic&t=6128
cpotts454

PostPosted: January 22, 2009, 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Anybody have a set of these? How do they sound any proformance? I like the look of them. Mikes part #07-0041.

07-0041.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.44 KB
 Viewed:  268 Time(s)

07-0041.jpg

Photo Gallery
metalredneck

PostPosted: January 23, 2009, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

If you want that style, check a swap meet. Every one I go to has Harley shop mechanics with garbage cans full of 'em for $20/pair. The RUB's put the straightpipes on right at the dealer.

PostPosted: January 23, 2009, 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

You can take a hole saw to the welds on the ends of the baffles and knock them out so they sound like real mellow glass packs too. Really cheap on Egay
woodman

PostPosted: January 23, 2009, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

delete, double post

Last edited by woodman on January 24, 2009, 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

I was just gifted a pair of original 500 Daytona peashooters. Gonna mount them on my XS when the weather gets a bit warmer.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
Mikesxs

PostPosted: January 26, 2009, 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Regarding our new #O7-0767 XS650 Performance 2-1 Exhaust.
The claimed Horsepower increase of 10 + Horsepower at the Rear Wheel IS correct and we will post a Dyno chart soon that shows this.
This is an astounding increase but is Correct and came from Heiden Tuning's Dynojet facility. Last year Jerry tried many new exhausts while simultaniously designing new baffles for some of our megaphones and was very supprised by these results himself. Bike tested was a stock 650cc "Special" model that normally puts out only 43HP at the rear wheel. The New megaphone muffler he designed that was run with this system is being fabricated now and should be in stock in a couple of months ( the fabricator we used was shut down for about 6 months but was recently sold and is back to business). All our testing is done on the dyno and this shows what can be done when results lead design changes instead of guesswork. The muffler is tuneable, sound tone is good and is not too loud for street use.
Mike Lalonde @ Mikes XS
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 26, 2009, 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Yes Potts,I have 2 on my '80 special,sound good.I used the Ascott pipe's from Mike & they were an easy install.Went up a couple size's on the main & pilot jet's,forget what size's i used, but I'm a little rich.I plan on getting a set of his new 2 into1 pipe,that's what I originaly wanted,but the other header's were too much money.I have 2 set's of the Ascot pipe's,PM me if interested.Brand new,never run ...
Photo Gallery
woodman

PostPosted: January 26, 2009, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Mike, if you build it, I will come
Tomterrific

PostPosted: January 27, 2009, 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

The 500cc Triumph Daytona style mufflers are Burgess style mufflers and they are very cool. The only muffler that is correctly a Peashooter is the Norton Comando muffler.

These all have peashooters.
www.coloradonortonwork...allery.asp

Tom Graham
woodman

PostPosted: January 27, 2009, 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Some sweet bikes there ! I had a 75 Commando that I had to sell in 1980 for financial reasons, still miss it.
JAKE76XS650

PostPosted: January 31, 2009, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

cpotts454 wrote:
Anybody have a set of these? How do they sound any proformance? I like the look of them. Mikes part #07-0041.

I purchased a pair of these a while back, got the left side mounted with a few issues i had to work out, then moved on to the right side and realized it wouldn't work, had to put the prior system back on. the problem i figured out was that the previous owner had installed different "shorter" headpipes and this caused problems mounting the new mufflers.

mikes was accurate in saying that they mount right up to the stock pipes as long as they are the correct diameter, but make sure they are long enough to clear your brake pedal and peg first.

so now i know, i was trying to salvage my pipes but now i'm thinking i gonna go with mikes new 2 to 1 system. any one have any views on this?
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 31, 2009, 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

2 into 1 will strangle mid to top end performance..
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: February 1, 2009, 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

According to Mike, his new 2-1 will gain you 10 HP. No one seems to believe that (including me). Time will tell I guess. Of course I could always mount straight pipes, being the angry old man I am and all Smile
tacoswild

PostPosted: February 1, 2009, 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

I don't know how many horses they'll have inside those pipes but they will have rust. They assure me all their mufflers have rust inside so there's no point in exchanging mine. They did offer to refund them, but I can't get the xs1 style anywhere else so what's the point? I don't want to make a crusade out of a little rust. I'm sure they'll still last a long time but I thought you guys might like to know that the official policy is rust in mufflers = normal.
Mikesxs

PostPosted: February 1, 2009, 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Insides of all mufflers are Not plated and usually a small amount of surface rust/dust is inside from New as the plating chemicals also can never be completely drained out. Take ANY new bike and let the exhaust sit 2-3 years and you will get the same. There is Not enough of any rust to cause a problem. Run the exhaust a few days and carbon will replace the dust. OEM type Mufflers are made in a large production run for me every few years and sit until sold.
A batch of them runs well in excess of $100,000.00 and if I want them that's the only way they get made.
Dyno Charts on our new 2-1 system will be posted this week.
Power made by adding our performance parts now is outrunning the stock clutch and dyno measurements are at the rear wheel (to the Ground).
All this is without Any Porting work !
any more items still coming. Dyno development is done on an all new state of the Art Dyno by our Dutch distributor, Jerry Heiden ( along time former Yamaha GP mechanic ).
I invite all web technical experts to submit proven idea's they have for even better reliable performance modifications, Unproven ideas and dreams also invited.

Mike @ Mikes XS
BZNrider

PostPosted: April 2, 2009, 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Well I got my exhaust done on the cheap! $165 for new exhaust system, 1.5" pipes ($150, www.mikesxs.com) and stock mufflers from a Harley Dyna ($25,Yellowstone Harley Davidson). The filters are the 'XS Performance' K&N knockoffs that are available from mikes.

Stock exhaust was rusty and dented.

Rejetted mains on stock mikuni 34mm carbs to 35's, one step up from the stock 32.5 to compensate for increased airflow through larger exhaust. Also drilled out plugs over idle circuit adjustment screw so that I could enrich the mixture. This bike is still in need of SIGNIFICANT tuning, but that can wait until it warms up! The video should at least give you an idea of the sound. Not much louder than stock, but much lower and throatier through the range. I like it.

Have a listen make sure you select 'HQ' in the lower right and ignore my buddies:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiN25oUJBPc

Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 2, 2009, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Sound's good,too bad ya got all that white sh*t still.Totally useless stuff I say. You want to ski? Go down a nice long sand dune. I do like the sound of your pipe's. I put the new 2-1 system on mine ,it sound's alot different the when I ran the ascott system, but sound's good to me ,not too loud, & I don't drag the pipe in the corner's anymore.

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3