650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > Consolidated Muffler Thread

Consolidated Muffler Thread
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

wesleyonoel, I found this in Canada. www.northerneagle.ca/triumph Exhaust 11.htm
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Try this www.northerneagle.ca/Product
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

I'm still in a quandry about the Supertrapps... the 3M ones that have a dirt application. I'd have to order 4-stroke cores with the bodies, then straps, then clamps... then hangers... Sad

aybe a better bet is the shorty reverse cones at Mike's, Part #07-0014. I don't care for the appearance of the long ones, really... not on my particular bike.
Photo Gallery
woodman

PostPosted: December 22, 2008, 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

The Trapps can get into a pretty expensive deal, especially the stainless stuff. The one on my 95 Fatboy costs almost $500 now which is totally insane. I do like being able to change them around for different sounds. The stainless gives a different look and you can clean them with a Scotchbrite pad and Wd40
TeeCat

PostPosted: December 22, 2008, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Well, I went with the shorty reverse cones from Mike's. I don't care for the long ones for my bike's cafe profile, but the shorties are fine. Also, I can just slip them on - might have to use a reducer - and there's an adjustable hanger.

I made this call in part because, as much as I like Supertrapps, they're just silly pricey for the cost of manufacturing them, and I'm going to get tires in the spring, so I had to try to think pragmatically.

Should be here after Christmas and I'll post pics after I install them.

TC
Photo Gallery
metalredneck

PostPosted: December 22, 2008, 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

I got my 'Trapps at a swap meet, ex-Harley duals, with slash-cut tips, for $25/pair. I made some end cap plates to stop them from being shotguns, and will be installing next month. With 26 discs in each pipe, an open end-cap is really overkill. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: January 1, 2009, 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

I began installing my shortie reverse cones from Mike's today. Using the included shims, they're a clean, tight fit and look like quality pieces. The adjustable hanger is a little long, though, and I'll have to drill a properly spaced hole in each one. Piccies when completed.

TC
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: January 3, 2009, 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Installation complete. The cans were a straight-up bolt-on, except that the adjustable hangers were a tad too long, and I ended up making my own from brushed strap aluminum. They turned out quite well.

Here are some piccies, and a little video that I made for a friend who likes cafe bikes, but it's timely here as well since you can hear the bike with the new cans.

Neat to think that this bike was near dead when I brought her home, but you lot here helped me bring her back.

TC

Photo Gallery
BZNrider

PostPosted: January 4, 2009, 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Those sound/look nice. Where did you get them?
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: January 5, 2009, 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Thanks... got them from Mike's. They're the shorties.
Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

A quick question for those of you with mufflers from Mikes, did you notice any rust inside yours when when you received them?
TeeCat

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

No sir... mine were wrapped in plastic, and quite immaculate. But I'd expect some condensation to be a factor throughout their life.

TC
Photo Gallery
MN_TX650

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Those look tits man! What was the part number on them? I just placed an order thru mikes for everything to redo my forks and steering bearing, and swingarm. Also picked up his classic 7" headlight and some mounting ears. My OEM one is pretty buggered up and I figured it would be cheaper to just replace it with an aftermarket one.
MN_TX650

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Assuming these are it?

Universal Reverse Cone Megaphone Muffler - 17.5" x 4" end Dia.- Perforated
tube type baffle. End cone fastened with 3 screws. Classic chromed sleek &
short design, nice tone. Adjustable slider mount. Reducer sleeves included.
Fits:1 3/8", 1.5", 1 5/8" & 1 3/4" Headpipes.

Part #07-0014
TeeCat

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Dat's dem, sir! And thanks for the compliment! They sound nice too... have not actually taken her out with them yet, as there's snow on the ground and the roads are dirty.
Photo Gallery
JeffM

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Teecat... those look really good, definately ties in together with the seat and bars, reverse cones have that high performance vibe. Bit of shine sets off the black engine too.

Tacoswild, you mentioned your new pipes in another thread and I was hoping you would give a review. Did you get the entire xs1 system? I am planning to get at least the headpipes soon, and may go another way with the mufflers. I expect the rust is from sitting on the shelf, my guess is Mike doesn't sell the early pipes as much. I have heard of people pouring rust paint in the inside of pipes to coat them, when I installed headers on another bike I rinsed them out with 10w30 before installing.

Jeff
MN_TX650

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Hey Teecat, just watched the vid...those are some long fingernails. You're not a woman....are you? Surprised
woodman

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

A bit of advise on the Supertrapps. 26 discs will take away the bottom end & mid range on a Harley so it cant be good for a motor half the size. I think something in the 18 disc range would work better for you. If they arent stainless I highly advise removing the fiberglass from the baffle, it will make them rot out. Also run the closed end cap, not the open one unless noise is all you want. Just my 2 pennys worth
TeeCat

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

MN_TX650 wrote:
Hey Teecat, just watched the vid...those are some long fingernails. You're not a woman....are you? Surprised

Not the last time I checked. Smile Right hand only. Fool around with a bit of classical/fingerstyle guitar.

And Jeff... thanks, mate! Glad you like the reverse cones.

TC
Photo Gallery
MN_TX650

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

I didn't think you were, but thought I would check! LOL. I play guitar also, but mostly blues/rock on strats
JeffM

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Uh-oh, might be time to start a guitar thread... play mostly steel string fingerstyle at this point but have played all sorts of stuff over the years.

The late, great, grumpy father of modern classical guitar Andres Segovia was once asked what it takes to become a world class classical guitarist; his response "strong fingernails".

Jeff
TeeCat

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Indeed... a guitar thread, perhaps! Smile Sadly, I still suck, but I'm willing to discuss. Smile
Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

+1 on the guitar playing. I play some classical too, been at it about 16 years but those kids at the guitar shop could probably still out-shred me any day of the week. Cool

JeffM,

It'll be a quite a while before I get to fire up the new exhaust but first impressions of the build quality were good. I did have a little issue with rusty internals on the mufflers but they're working with me on it so I don't want to say anything bad. Good to know it's not the norm.
BZNrider

PostPosted: January 22, 2009, 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Anyone else play mandolin? Irish and Bluegrass..
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3