650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > Consolidated Muffler Thread

Consolidated Muffler Thread
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
BZNrider

PostPosted: November 28, 2008, 5:42 am    Post subject: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Just searched through the entire exhaust forum trying to figure out what mufflers to get, and thought this might be a useful reference if we could post opinions of mikesxs mufflers and others we have tried.

How loud are they? Sound quality?
What kind of flow do they have?
What kind of mods were needed to make them fit?

Pics would be sweet.

Specifically I'm interested in the taper tip and slash cut models. Maybe mention the sportster mufflers that lots of people in here seems keen on.
Photo Gallery
Tomterrific

PostPosted: November 28, 2008, 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

There is only one muffler design that I can trust to sound good, flow well and be resonablely quiet at cruise. Absorbtion type mufflers are a straight through glasspack with a large enough volume to absorb sound. The styles would be the ubiquitous cans, Dunstall, Burgess (old stock Brit bike style) and Norton Peashooters. Small mufflers sound rather lawnmower like and the sound surpression is by straining the exhaust through a resistance so the flow is restricted.

Tom Graham
BZNrider

PostPosted: November 28, 2008, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

So you are saying that the slash cut and shorter mufflers sound no good?
Photo Gallery
Tomterrific

PostPosted: November 28, 2008, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

It is my opinion that most mufflers do not sound as good as the straight through absorbtion type. Many mufflers sound higher pitched and harsh and much too loud for how restrictivwe they are. The absorbtion type mufflers damp the high frequencies better than the low so the sound is more mellow. All frequencies are damped, just the harsh highs are damped the most.

Tom
TeeCat

PostPosted: December 16, 2008, 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Tomterrific wrote:
It is my opinion that most mufflers do not sound as good as the straight through absorbtion type. Many mufflers sound higher pitched and harsh and much too loud for how restrictivwe they are. The absorbtion type mufflers damp the high frequencies better than the low so the sound is more mellow. All frequencies are damped, just the harsh highs are damped the most.

Tom

This could be a good thread.

I have turnouts on my bike, and they sound good and seem to perform well, but they were a little oxidized when I got the bike from a PO, so I cleaned them up and shot them with 1200 degree engine paint. They look okay, but are starting to matt, so I was thinking of going with new chrome muffs.

I like the turnouts, but confess that they might not be entirely consistent with the bike's increasingly cafe aesthetics. I also like the cone tip types at Mike's, but they seem a bit long, except for the shorter ones which I'm told might not be as good. But I prefer the short aesthetic.

Peashooter types don't thrill me and those shorty slashcuts are too loud, by all accounts, so I'm in a bit of a quandry. Opinions are welcome! Hope this thread is the right spot for such musings.

Afterthought: Anyone ever considered the aesthetic of a peashooter that's had the very tip slashcut?

TC
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 16, 2008, 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

I got the taper tip from Mike's,along with the Ascot style pipe's,and they sound good.Tuning wasn't so bad,went up a couple size's on the main & pilot's,but had to do a rebuild anyway.'80G ,
metalredneck

PostPosted: December 16, 2008, 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

I'm pulling my Dunstalls off this winter & going with Supertrapps, my personal fave. You can tune 'em how you like.

PostPosted: December 16, 2008, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

gordo... I might not even have to re-jet. My current muffs look to have a mechanical baffle and are very free-flowing, yet the bike seems fine with stock jets. The tapered ones might even be a little closer to stock.

mr... you were reading my mind... I just left the Supertrapp site! I have the 3" universals on my Ninja 250R and love them!

Which ones are you getting? I'm a little worried about sidestand clearance due to the can diameter, and I'll be staying with left/right duals.

TC
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

I thought I'd stay in this thread, as my plan is relevant:

I'm considering swapping my functional, but aging, static (non-tunable) turnouts to Supertrapp S/C Standards, or maybe Elites. Supertrapps are quality, but tend to be pricey. I also need the inlet to be 1.5" (I think that's what the stock header OD is).

Also, the 3.5" diameter body of the Supertrapps may be an issue with the centerstand tang... I'm not sure. But I'd consider losing the centerstand as I have never had occasion to use it, and though it's practical, it's an eyesore, imho; the feet rust and it looks like bloody hell from the rear.

Anyone know a good source for Supertrapps at reasonable prices? I know that Summit Racing has the body straps now.

TC
Photo Gallery
woodman

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

A buddy has Mike's reverse cone shorty 17" megaphones on his 77 and they sound real good. Peformance wise I dont know. I have Trapps on my Harley Fatboy & really like them. The drilled out factory mufflers were bad at cruise. One thing Id suggest is that if you dont get the stainless Trapps, take the fiberglass out or they will rust out if most of your riding is short trips. They hold moisture in them.
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Metalredneck...once you pull the Dunstalls off, you wouldn't be interested in parting with them would you?

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
metalredneck

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

I may be talked into a deal of some sort, but I won't know until spring, when I fire the beast up.

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Guys, what are your thoughts on these? They're billed as a universal/dirt muffler, and they are Supertrapp's most reasonably priced unit. They come in 2- and 4-stroke (we're four, right?) and look pretty neat/compact. The core is separate, though.

Thoughts? I can get these, complete with 4-stroke kit, caps, and disks, for around $260. Man, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on these. All I'd need to do is find some clean strap hangers.

TC
Photo Gallery
metalredneck

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

I have used these, and they rock. Not shiny & chromed, but all business.

I have the fancy-schmancy version for the Assault Raisin this year, and am a HUGE fan of 'Trapps.

un-internal-disc-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.4 KB
 Viewed:  371 Time(s)

un-internal-disc-1.jpg

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Looked at those... I really like them... but damn, they're pricey. Having trouble sueezing that kind of dough out for a set of cans. Sad
Photo Gallery
woodman

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Those are the ones I was referring to that rot out if you dont take the glass out. They are high quality but eventually they do rot out. I have the stainless 2-1 myself with external discs
5twins

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

TC, are you aware of how Supertrapps work? The exhaust does not exit out the end of the pipe but rather out the sides through the spaces between the stacked discs. The more discs you add, the louder and more free flowing the muffler becomes. This side exit thing can create problems if you mount them close to your swingarm, rear brake, chain, or up tight under saddlebags. You'll be cleaning black exhaust soot off these parts all the time. They do make a deflector shield that mounts with the plate stack but apparently not for the 3" disc series.
TeeCat

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

woody, do you have piccies? I have the universal race stainless ones on my Ninja 250R, but their diameter might not allow me to keep the centerstand on the TX. So, I'm considering the dirtbike type ones above. I think they'd look good on my TX, actually.
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 20, 2008, 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Great Thread...

Yes indeed..I have a bit of experience of this having made up a few systems now..for various bikes...including two strokes..taken some advice on here and from others...

The best sound is to be had from large single tube straight through baffled silencers like traditional British ones.

The smaller ones give too much of a "crack" and are too loud to use in built up areas, not so much to ride but definately to start and work on and even warm up and move off ....

But the shorter ones for me LOOK aces...heres what I did to fix it ...

Take out the baffle pipe and make sure that its made out of the perforated tube, thats like even round holes. The baffles made out of indented metal cuts are never gonna work.

If you cut halfway into the baffle and lay in a small peice of sheet steel say coming in from the top and then down the baffle a bit (same on both sides of the motor of course) you do the same but coming from the bottom you create deternation plates..so that the "crack" is taken out of the exhaust note..however you do get some flow restiction..

So before you cut the plates drill a hole in each one..this is still a loud brash and thumping exhaust note and should flow OK..my "silencers" were about 14 - 16" long...
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 20, 2008, 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

I picked up a pair of these Dunstall replicas, the chrome is no good and one of the baffles has rusted. the baffle in the photo has a babbled plate welded about half way down the baffle, I would guess that would take the crack out of the straight through exhaust?........Could any one tell me where i could get replacement baffles for these................ found a couple of places that sell them but can't find replacement baffles..............any info or opinions about these mufflers would be good

p1110309_001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.25 KB
 Viewed:  388 Time(s)

p1110309_001.jpg

Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 20, 2008, 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Babbled should be baffled..........?
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

I know I keep on saying it but try some Triumph T120 'resonators' .. lovely deep sound & great performance boost! £65 a pair !

tri pipes.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.44 KB
 Viewed:  398 Time(s)

tri pipes.jpg

gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
wesleyonoel

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

xs1961
I really like the appearance of the Triumph mufflers! I liked the sound too on a Bonneville I was close to back in the late '60s - nice mellow note. Further, I remember a flared tip, baffled megaphone that replaced the stock units that was a bit louder but that didn't bother me much then. I understand there might be a bit of trouble with size differences between the head pipe of the Yamaha and inlet of the Triumph muffler? Having said that, where could a chap locate a pair of mufflers as illustrated in your most recent photo?.............By the bye, I don't find stock muffler sound ('73 TX 650) offensive either. Nice note too!...............Wes
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidated Muffler Thread

Not sure they'd fit 'stock' downpipes as these are 1 1/2" internal diameter. By the way, BSA A10 & A65 silencers(mufflers) look almost identical & sound the same. You ought to junk those stock downpies they restrict flow..
Surely some Britbike spares stockists over there have them..i know that a few companies over here export to the States..
try BRITURO.

gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3