650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > polishing

polishing
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
r6_ryder_03

PostPosted: November 27, 2008, 11:38 pm    Post subject: polishing

well i got a bench grinder with a polishing wheel but im wondering what kind of polishing compound to use for best results. i have white and rouge bars. can i use one or the other or should i use something else. the white says for use on stainless or ferrous metals and the rouge says for silver or plastics. any suggestions?
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 28, 2008, 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: polishing

The info here might help you.
02b3ae8.netsolstores.c...-rouge.htm

PostPosted: November 28, 2008, 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: polishing

thanks that did help but i think i might have another problem...i tried buffing for a while in the same spot and it does get shinier but it doesnt take away the discoloration of the metal (dark spots and some lighter sports), im guessing from corrosion. to get rid of the "pitting" "discoloration" should i sand it first till thats gone and then buff?
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 28, 2008, 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: polishing

I would think sanding would get rid of the discoloration and old clear coat.

PostPosted: November 28, 2008, 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: polishing

Yes you will need to wet sand it first. You can start with 400 or 600 depending how bad it is then go up to 900 -1100 to get rid of some of the sand scratches.Then polish.
'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
r6_ryder_03

PostPosted: November 28, 2008, 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: polishing

perfect. could i sand blast it also and then sand it?

PostPosted: November 28, 2008, 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: polishing

I wouldn't bother with sandblasting, that's probably a little bit on the overkill side for this. If there is lots of peeling clearcoat on the cases, paint remover may be the easiest way to eliminate that before you start sanding. I've done this to remove clearcoat from aluminum rims (very effectively), and I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work on engine cases, although I'd keep the paint remover away from any rubber seals or anything similar that may be overly sensitive to it.

EDIT: I was thinking about the sandblasting again, and it suddenly occurred to me that it would not be a good idea at all. That high velocity sand could actually damage the soft aluminum surface and round off a few corners for you in the process. Blast cleaning aluminum is usually done with a softer media that isn't as prone to damage the surface on softer alloys.

Check out this recent thread where we discussed the sanding process recently. This process will result in a mirror finish shine on your cases:

650rider.com/index.php...amp;t=5712

Ken

PS - Sounds like we're almost neighbors, I'm out in Flamborough just north of Hamilton. Whereabouts in TO are you from?

home.cogeco.ca/~kenb2/index.html

Last edited by kenb on November 28, 2008, 10:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: November 28, 2008, 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: polishing

Yes, the paint stripper works very well for the cases, too. It will save lots of sanding. Probably a good idea to keep it away from the rubber parts as Ken mentioned and also away from the black "Yamaha" lettering unless you want to re-do that too. I usually start with 320 dry, followed by 400 wet, then buff using plain old rubbing compound. That's course enough stuff to remove most of the sanding scratches. Final finish is by hand with Mother's.
r6_ryder_03

PostPosted: November 28, 2008, 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: polishing

thanks for all the replies. now i went and tried some things out and well im not satisfied. am i doing something wrong? i havent read the last link yet but will shortly. i used paint remover and found that i guess there is no clear coat left on mine so i dont need to use anymore. then i sanded the discoloration and stuff with 400 but i did it dry. then i did it with 600 dry and then 1500 dry. then i went to the bench buffer and did it with white, then red. it come out sorta shinny but its cloudy and kinda black its not a mirror finish by any standards. im thinking the aluminum particles from sanding are still there maybe i need to do it wet? also it looks like it has a discoloration kinda like heat discoloration and thats after i buffed it with the bench buffer. what am i doing wrong!!! also i live in scarlem lol ok i just read the other one and just what i thought i need to use water to get the small particles im scuffing off my work. ill post again if i am still having trouble.

PostPosted: November 28, 2008, 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: polishing

wet sanding def did the trick with the darkness ubt when i try and bench sand it it still looks like im getting heat discoloration. is there an optimal rpm for a buffing wheel?

PostPosted: November 29, 2008, 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: polishing

r6_ryder_03 wrote:
wet sanding def did the trick with the darkness ubt when i try and bench sand it it still looks like im getting heat discoloration. is there an optimal rpm for a buffing wheel?

If you are still getting discoloration after wet sanding and polishing the spot, you might have to use some coarse emery (180 maybe) to cut yourself a couple of thou deeper to reach clean aluminum in those areas. The trick is to use the rough paper to get just under the defects you want fixed, and then use the finer grades to restore the smooth finish. Be sure to use tons of water when wet sanding, if you are doing it right you should have a nice big puddle of water under the cases when you are done.

I've never tried a buffing wheel yet, so I can't offer any tips on that, but my first impression would be that you want to acheive the smoothest surface possible with the emery cloth before buffing it up.

Ken

Photo Gallery
r6_ryder_03

PostPosted: November 29, 2008, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: polishing

man, i dont know what the hell is wrong with me! i am some sorta polishing tard or something. i got all the scratches and discoloration out and finished with a 2000 grit wet sand. i then proceed to use rubbing compound and then mothers aluminum polish. it does come out pretty shiny but it still looks like its a bit cloudy and has discoloration like that of heat (bluish yellow) like chrome exhaust gets after being heated. what the hell is wrong with what im doing?

PostPosted: November 30, 2008, 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: polishing

r6_ryder_03 wrote:
it does come out pretty shiny but it still looks like its a bit cloudy and has discoloration like that of heat (bluish yellow) like chrome exhaust gets after being heated.

Can you post a pic? Might be easier to see what's up.

Ken

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1