650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > Anyone Used Lockwire to Secure Exhaust Wrap?

Anyone Used Lockwire to Secure Exhaust Wrap?
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 27, 2008, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Anyone Used Lockwire to Secure Exhaust Wrap?

I dunno,

But I am sure I read somewhere that someone used Lockwire to secure their exhaust wrap.

I've seen it done on a Harley...and it looked good. The wrap, not the bike..actually thats a lie, the bike looked good too Smile LOL..

anyhow..

I was trying to figure out a technique to get it done neat and tight...

Anyone got any tips?

I got a few ideas, but it would be cool to hear from someone else who's got it down and made all the mistakes for me Smile LOL..

Thanks guys..
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: November 27, 2008, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Used Lockwire to Secure Exhaust Wrap?

Not lockwire... sorry... but I used stainless "zip ties" for mine, and it's clean and seems to be tight.

TC
Photo Gallery
BigGeorge

PostPosted: November 27, 2008, 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Used Lockwire to Secure Exhaust Wrap?

If you like the look if the wire use aircraft stainless wire and there are special plyers available that twists the wire evenly and tightly.........BG
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 27, 2008, 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Used Lockwire to Secure Exhaust Wrap?

Thanks George, got the Stainless Goodridge wire and the proper pliers left over from racing Ferrari's when I was a millionare before the credit crunch Smile LOL...

err...seriously though I got 'em LOL..

Anyhow..was thinking...rap then bind at each end or bind at top Wind down to bottom bind wind back up to top and twist? Seems like this will come loose..but I have seen ...arr...what I an idiot..I've sussed it..

Bind at top trap another length of wire wrap wire twist in with ends at top wrap over bandage down to bottom bind bottom trap wire and do the same to ends as top...thats how its done Smile

Three in one at each end..Im gonna try it out on the table leg :-)#

You really need to describe it or do it to work out how its done..
Photo Gallery
woodman

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Used Lockwire to Secure Exhaust Wrap?

If you soak the wrap in a bucket of water first it will go on tighter then shrink down really tight as it dries. Use stainless tie wraps at each end then spray it with whatever color silicone to match your wrap and it comes out looking real good. It will rot the pipes from all the heat in a while though and stinks for a while until its compltely cured
justin

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Used Lockwire to Secure Exhaust Wrap?

ive never done it and i dont know if its on the direction or not, but start at the back and move forward. the wind will flow over the seams and not against it. which in time seems like it would tear up the edge of the material. just a thought.

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1