650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Front end drop?

Front end drop?
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
TeeCat

PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 11:34 am    Post subject: Front end drop?

Guys, I was showing pics of my new cafe bars to a mate, and he really liked the look. He has an '81 Seca and has none too little familiarity with bikes.

He thought for a second and asked me if I thought that an even more aggressive stance might be had by loosening the pinch bolts and allowing the yoke to come down on the upper fork tubes a bit, thus visually decreasing the "white space" between the frame's down tubes and front wheel/fender.

It's a neat idea, but I wondered whether you guys thought it would be inadvisable or difficult. I have not messed with the front end before, and I don't want to severely compromise handling or safety for the sake of appearance. I also don't know how hard it would be.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

TC
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end drop?

Early rocket scientist paved the way for us to fine tune our machines.................xsjohn

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMhdksPFhCM
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end drop?

Is a good plan TC, drop through will make your bike steer sharper, at the expense of stability. This is fine as long as you dont over do it! What you will find if you over do it, it will shake it's head at you a bit (or even a lot), either put them back up a little or fit a steering damper. If you go with a steering damper, you can drop through quite a way, without a steering damper I'd slowly drop it through in 1/4" incriments up to a max of around 1". I will measure mine for you soon, though I have a steering damper.
I guess you can only drop yours through till they hit the bars???

Always look at everything else when doing changes like this. I went to pull mine through a little more, then just before I was about to test run, I noticed that under heavy braking, my fork brace was going to hit my steel brake line splitter mounted on the head stem. Probably would of smashed it resulting in no brakes!

I know a guy who dropped them through on a late model sports bike- to far - when he grabbed a hand full of brake the first time, the front wheel smashed into the radiator! Shocked

Dont let all this put you off however, because it's a good adjustment, just be wary!

Yep, it's just a matter of backing off the pinch bolts and sliding them up. Before you start, take and record currant measurements of fork protruding above top clamp as a base setting. Clean the staunchions below both triple clamps and spray with WD-40 or whatever. Then take out one bolt at a time, liberaly coat in never seize, then put bolt back in loosely (just a tiny bit of tension), push them up to your desired setting, measure to make sure they are even and crank it up, check everything twice & go! Too easy! Cheers

Last edited by yamaman on November 24, 2008, 1:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end drop?

yamaman, thanks the this thorough reply.

I'll have to take a look at the front brake line and see what the clearance situation looks like. I have not really investigated this at all, but I was thinking an inch, max, for lots of reasons.

I still have the Dunlop Gold Seals on the bike - they were on there when I got it - and at some point the front end probably needs to be gone over, but I have noticed that the bike seems to have a slight shake at about 60-65 mph or so... might just be me, too. However, the bike also has what I think might be a damper (black dial atop the steering head), but I have not really investigated how to use it. Rolling Eyes

That said, I'd like this to be absolutely safe if I do it, and you seem to think it is. Is it easy to do?

TC
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end drop?

See edited post above

Thats right, I'd seen that before. Up on the centre stand and tighten the big black knob and see if its harder to turn the bars, loosen and easier. If it's all good, try it on around the middle setting and see how it goes. You want it on the softest setting that keeps the bike still together. But yeah, old tyres & old (or not enough) fork oil wont help. Same with steering head bearings, all got to be up to scratch to scratch! Laughing Laughing

TeeCat

PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end drop?

yamaman wrote:
See edited post above

Thats right, I'd seen that before. Up on the centre stand and tighten the big black knob and see if its harder to turn the bars, loosen and easier. If it's all good, try it on around the middle setting and see how it goes. You want it on the softest setting that keeps the bike still together. But yeah, old tyres & old (or not enough) fork oil wont help. Same with steering head bearings, all got to be up to scratch to scratch! Laughing Laughing

Thanks for all of this, sir! Smile

Come to think of it, I think that damper knob's pretty loose... I was wondering how it worked. Maybe that little shake I (seem to) feel is because it's too loose! Confused I'll have to play with it.

But I think I'll investigate this cheap mod when I get some time! Smile

TC
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end drop?

Played with lowering the front till I started noticing some wobbles at higher speeds on the down hill sweepers in the mountains.......spooky to say the least........

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrlZN5DJCf8

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
JeffM

PostPosted: November 25, 2008, 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Front end drop?

Those damper knobs really work well!! Start with it loose and trim it up while you're on the road, Then check the tension on the centrestand when you get back from your ride. After a couple of goes you will find that you will be setting it to the same spot consistently. One click at a time, a little goes a long way.

Check your head bearings for a 'notch' in the center with the front wheel off the ground, worn bearings will give the bike a good shake, especially when braking.

Jeff
TeeCat

PostPosted: November 25, 2008, 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Front end drop?

Quote::
One click at a time

Jeff... it clicks?! Shocked Good lord... I suppose I better actually turn it... never really had the inclination to mess with it! Embarassed Maybe that's why I have a little shake! Rolling Eyes

I think it might be at its loosest setting.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: November 25, 2008, 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Front end drop?

I wanted one of those dampners.......mine was kinda scary at 65-70 on the express......kept the ball bearing races and yes they have the notch.......tightened it up to put the notch to work as a straight line dampner.....actually like it.........bit wierd at low speed but I got used to that.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1