650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Experienced engine guys...please check out.

Experienced engine guys...please check out.
    Forum Index -> Engine
englishwheeler

PostPosted: November 23, 2008, 7:58 pm    Post subject: Experienced engine guys...please check out.

Here are some pictures of my cam and rockers. I just took this off to inspect things to make sure everything's in good shape. I noticed a bit of discoloration on the cam and wondered if this is ok to use still. I got the bike with 7000 miles on it. I changed the oil and found it to have about 1 quart of old oil in it. I changed the oil and the engine sounded much better. The oil feed is great and supplying good oil. Any help is appreciated.

Shannon60

PostPosted: November 23, 2008, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Experienced engine guys...please check out.

It looks as though that cam has suffered a lack of oil for a short time, but not terrably long I would reuse that as well as the rockers provided the rocker shafts are in reasonably good condition
englishwheeler

PostPosted: November 23, 2008, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Experienced engine guys...please check out.

I had a friend tell me the same, but I would rather hear that from XS guys. Thanks!
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 23, 2008, 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Experienced engine guys...please check out.

I'm not an experienced engine guy, but I just recently opened up my top end, on an engine with 20,000 KMs. . Your rocker arms look the same as mine i.e. normal. Yes, that one cam lobe may have suffered some abuse at one time. I doubt that it would cause immediate problems, but its life may be shortened. Maybe 5twins will have an opinion for you.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: November 23, 2008, 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Experienced engine guys...please check out.

Maybe inspect the rocker adjusters for pitting where they contact the valves? I'm not sure they would have any at 7000 miles though. A lot of the guys do the rocker mod where they swap out the stock adjusters for adjusters from a VW.
Read this: 650rider.com/index.php...t=elephant feet

You've already got it apart. 5twins is the guy to ask.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Experienced engine guys...please check out.

Could buff the surfaces of that one lifter and lobe with some extra fine sand paper.......would check the oil pump and set the side clearance if it is out of spec ........years back I found mine to be .0035 and set it to .002 thou by measuring the impeller clearance when placed in the aluminun case with a good straight edge and feeler guage......had a post on that a couple of years ago...I'll see if Icanfind it....and maybe something pased throught the pump and damaged the impellers.......wouldn't take much since the clearances in the pump are "very" close..........

xsjohn

Last edited by xsjohn on November 24, 2008, 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
englishwheeler

PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Experienced engine guys...please check out.

I knew you guys would help find the answer. Really appreciate it. I will check all the things mentioned here.

THanks.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Experienced engine guys...please check out.

There's oil supplied to each cam lobe through a small hole in the rocker arm. Have you checked the passage way is clear for the abused cam lobe?
Perhaps you could try compressed air from the oil supply connections to be sure all 4 rockers have a good air flow.
Photo Gallery
Waldo

PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Experienced engine guys...please check out.

Your rocker arm photos show a trough running across, which is caused by the softness of the material, which is normal, they can be hard faced and reground, Mega cycle Cams, I believe. One rocker arm shows material being displaced perpendicular to that trough, that is usually an indication of gaulling(bad friction), if it is the rocker that is in contact with that ugly cam lobe, there is no easy cure, the damage is done and excessive wear will continue, time for a regrind on the cam or a new one, plus attention to the rocker arms. Do not use damaged rockers on new or reground cams, they will eat it up.
xsjohn

PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Experienced engine guys...please check out.

Waldo's got the right answer I would suspect......replace the damaged parts........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
englishwheeler

PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Experienced engine guys...please check out.

Where would I get new rockers? Or can I just address the contact surfaces? I've checked MikesXS and 650Central...they don't have rockers. Maybe try and buy a whole valve cover off ebay...but that'a gamble just the same as buying a used bike.
Waldo

PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Experienced engine guys...please check out.

I got mine done at www.megacyclecams.com, they were hard faced and ground, $64.00 each, but they will last, with no more little groove appearing like you would get, even with new rockers after a period of time.

Waldo
englishwheeler

PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Experienced engine guys...please check out.

Thanks a lot. I'm going to look into that.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1